Opinions on blended latex? Smell or not

Hi there,

New to this forum. I’m considering buying a latex mattress and one of the options is blended vs. 100% pure latex. How much should I be worried about the chemicals used in the processing of a blended product? Does the blended smell? I have tested out Savy Rest and had no problem with smells but this is 100% pure latex. I have autoimmune and am sensitive to chemical smells so it’s really important that I find a sleeping material that is free of fire retardants and VOCs. Any thoughts?

Hi tea1949,

It’s certainly not something I would be concerned about with latex and all the latex you are likely to encounter (Dunlop or Talalay made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will all have been certified by either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut for harmful substances and VOC’s (see post #2 here).

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

There is more about the smell of latex in post #2 here.

There is also much more information about organic, natural, chemical free, green, and “safe” materials in post #2 here and the other posts it links to that can help you decide which materials you are comfortable with having in your mattress and that can help answer your questions about “how safe is safe enough for me?” because these types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities and circumstances.

Phoenix