Opinions on the "split" in a split king?

Hi Phoenix,

Your reply made me think of something to mention, and I found a discussion about this in another forum that also brought it to mind…

99% of the time my wife and I each both sleep fully on our side of the mattress.

(Mainly because I sleep hot already and if she were to sleep next to me her added body heat would make me too hot to sleep comfortably. And in fact I use a thin blanket on my side and we slide the king comforter to where it is just on her side because even just a portion of the comforter on me makes me uncomforably warm.)

Also, my wife has chronic back issues so she is often changing position, adding/removing pillows (head and body pillows), and even sometimes going out to sleep on our recliners, sofas, or kids beds to find something makes her comfortable. So if we do go with an adjustable bed I really think the split design will be the best choice, so that she can adjust her side as much as she needs to in order to get comfortable while not affecting my position. That alone might make the tradeoffs of having the “split” worth it.

The few responses in that other discussion basically say that you definitely notice there are two seperate beds, but a soft edge mattress (like latex) makes the transition “not uncomfortable”, and it sounded like that mostly they felt the benefits outway any concerns with the “split”.

As you, I’ll be interested to hear the feedback from any TMU members.

Hi JoelD,

I would agree that a mattress that has a more square shape with sharper edges with either latex or memory foam on top and that has no tape edge or seam or “rounding” on the upper edges would minimize the feel of any gap or split between them.

Phoenix

Hi JoelD
I have slept on a split king for over 2 years. My side of the bed was a 32 ILD talalay latex with a 2 inch 5 lbs memory foam topper, my partner had a 28iLD talalay latex core with a 2 inch 3 lbs Energia topper.

I did not feel the split in the mattress, only the difference in softness when rolling over on her side. It was a little awkward when making love, so we solved this issue by choosing to do it on 1 side of the bed, and avoiding the split! :stuck_out_tongue:

I would definitely getting a king split, since most prefer to have their own comfort level, and this can easily be done with a latex split!

Good luck with your purchase
MFC

I’ve been struggling with the idea split layers as well, among other difficult mattress related decisions. I’ve been searching this and other sites with customer reviews and I did find a couple of reviews where a few years (4+) after purchase that the layers would begin to shift and/or the reviewer began to feel center seam. One reviewer had suggested that shifting was due to the loosening of the cover over the years. One of these reviews mentioned that if the firmness between the sides was significantly different then one of the occupants may in fact roll onto the other side if he/she sleeps near the center seam.

The more I think about it, it seems that layering and split seams is more of a necessity for online sellers with regards to addressing customer satisfaction and handling returns/exchanges because your shipping smaller and lighter sections vs having to return an entire mattress. It’s not inherently “better” unless two people have vastly different PPP.

I think one or two online retailers include a latex “egg shell” topper to help prevent one from feeling the center seam, but if the layers eventually shift apart I wonder if the topper would eventually develop a tear. Probably not a big deal if its 6 yrs down the road and you can just replace it.

Personally, I think if both you and your spouse have similar PPP then buying a mattress with glued/bonded sections would be ideal. If your PPP is different then understand that down the road a few years you may have to replace a cover because your sections are moving around.

To be clear… we’re trying to decide on a split king - two separate xl twin beds pushed together to make a king.

But I definitely appreciate the thoughts on split layers, because if we don’t go with a split king then we will definitely need to consider doing split layers in a regular king since my wife’s back issues definitely require a different PPP from mine.

And I’d be interested in what particular mattress(es) got those complaints of split layers shifting since I would expect an issue like that would be very dependent on several things, not the least of which would be the design and construction of the cover for that particular mattress.

Thanks.

Hi KM,

As JoelD mentioned, split layering is off the topic of this thread but I thought I would reply because your comments about split layering certainly wouldn’t represent the experience of the large majority of the people who use them very successfully over long periods of time or the main reasons that the manufacturers use them either. I think that the few reviews you found (out of probably tens of thousands of people who use split layering) are probably confusing the feeling of the transition between the layers with feeling the split itself or have unusual issues or circumstances that puts their experience inside a very small percentile of the people who use them (see post #2 here)

Even over time … you won’t generally find that the sections are shifting and there are some advantages to having layers that can be replaced individually with a zip cover that for the large majority of people who use split layering would easily offset any ability to feel the different firmness levels on each side.

While one of the advantages of a component mattress is that you can do just that (replace the cover) … it’s also very unlikely to be necessary in a few years and the sections certainly wouldn’t be “moving around”.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=33822]Hi KM,

As JoelD mentioned, split layering is off the topic of this thread but I thought I would reply because your comments about split layering certainly wouldn’t represent the experience of the large majority of the people who use them very successfully over long periods of time or the main reasons that the manufacturers use them either. I think that the few reviews you found (out of probably tens of thousands of people who use split layering) are probably confusing the feeling of the transition between the layers with feeling the split itself or have unusual issues or circumstances that puts their experience inside a very small percentile of the people who use them (see post #2 here)

Even over time … you won’t generally find that the sections are shifting and there are some advantages to having layers that can be replaced individually with a zip cover that for the large majority of people who use split layering would easily offset any ability to feel the different firmness levels on each side.

While one of the advantages of a component mattress is that you can do just that (replace the cover) … it’s also very unlikely to be necessary in a few years and the sections certainly wouldn’t be “moving around”.

Phoenix[/quote]

I understand but as you know most mattress reviews are over a relatively “new” purchase. This is the honeymoon period similar to car buying. I was lucky to find a few reviews of mattress owners who purchased their mattress 4+ years ago. You’ll have to trust me some weren’t confusing shift when they say “I’m getting tired of having to reset the layers every two weeks, because they’re shifting” I’m of the opinion that it would be at this age where latex should really show its advantages over an innerspring for example. Granted they were a minorty of less than satisfied(sp?) owners, but worthy of consideration because it covers something (layer shifting) that many potential customers (myself included) are concerned about. Granted you’ve never said it would not happen, but that it would be “unlikely” or “won’t generally”.

I initially didn’t realize my post was OT as I had misread it Free free to delet it.

Hi km,

I certainly trust that you’ve read these reviews (such as the two here posted by the same person) and I’ve read them as well. I have spent a LOT of time with research of all types over the years (including much more than just reviews on the internet which I also consider to be unreliable for many reasons) and I consider the few of these I’ve read to be anomalies and not at all representative of the vast majority of people who have owned latex mattresses with split layers and zip covers for many years.

It’s certainly a “related” issue and there are many people who have the concern about split layers so while it’s been discussed on many occasions … it’s always worthwhile having another discussion so that others who may have similar unfounded concerns about the layers shifting can be re-assured.

Phoenix

Well, we decided to go with a split king. For us the benefits outweigh the concerns.

We plan to get an adjustable foundation in the next year or so and we’ll definitely want to adjust individually, so that pretty much made the decision for us. But since we wanted a fully finished mattress instead of a zippered mattress, there’s also the benefit that if the comfort or support needs of one of us changes in the future then we’ll only have to change or replace that person’s twin XL (saving money versus replacing a king, and not affecting the other persons comfort and support).

We also were able to check out a split king in the showroom and the “split” was a very minor issue with both twin XLs the same thickness (which ours will be). After all it’s not like there’s a huge gap there. It’s basically just a thin line down the middle. And, as I mentioned before, 99% of the time we’re both fully on our side of the mattress anyway.

After we’ve slept on it for some time I’ll try to remember to come back here and give my updated impressions.

Hi JoelD,

You certainly asked some great questions along the way … and congratulations on your new mattress(es) :slight_smile:

What mattress did you end up buying?

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks! We can’t wait to sleep on it (them). And lots of thanks to you and all the information and advice on this site that helped so much with the entire process!

I decided to post our experience, as well as the details of the mattress(es) we’ve ordered, in the Dallas/Ft Worth thread so that it might be helpful to others who are mattress researching/shopping in the D/FW area. So, you can see the information on the mattress(es) we selected in post #73 here.

Joel

Hi JolD,

Thanks … I’ve replied in your other thread :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just to follow up…

The split is definitely obvious. It’s just simply feels like two beds pushed right next to each other (of course, because that’s what it is).

But, as I expected, since my wife and I each sleep on our own side it doesn’t bother us as at all.

When we want to “cuddle” we can do so on one mattress, but even when one of us lays across the split it doesn’t bother us since the mattresses are the same thickness.

So basically - yes, the split is noticeable/obvious, but… no, it doesn’t bother us.

Hi JoeID,

Mind if I ask a follow-up? Do you guys notice the beds bumping into each other or anything that causes the sensation of motion transfer? My wife and I have been looking at Kings vs. Split Kings (non-adjustable) and we have a theory (not fact) that my movements tend to wake her up (at which point she has trouble falling back asleep). Despite testing Kings that tend to not show much motion transfer (current favorite is the Nordic HDM from European Sleepworks in Berkeley) we’re still concerned. I actually write this from a hotel where we’re sleeping on an innerspring King and the motion transfer isn’t too bad, but we’ve still been woken up a number of times (not that I think the bed is all that comfortable to begin with). A salesperson said that she thought the two separate mattresses next to each other could actually cause more of a sensation of motion transfer since they could bump together and/or rub if one person moves. Thoughts?

Hi mchotin,

Hopefully JoelD will see your post and share their experiences but your salesperson’s comments don’t “fit” most people’s experiences with split king mattresses (or your own experience it seems either).

Phoenix

I am curious about whether the “edge effect” is at all noticeable along the centre split - I am looking at purchasing two twin latex mattresses, which by all accounts are better at lining up than most, but I’m also worried that there inner edge might give way just like the outer edge. Has anyone noticed that, or is the edge effect not noticeable when lying down with weight distributed? And has anyone tried twin BrooklynBedding mattresses together? I really do want the option of independent adjustables, and I’m a terrible sleeper so my partner and I don’t sleep closely, but I’m a little worried about awkward middle dips.

Hi katroushka,

It would depend on the the type of mattress and the materials and components inside it (including whether it has any edge support), the firmness of the support core, the thickness/softness of the comfort layers, your body weight and sleeping positions, and on where you sleep on the mattress over the course of the night (for example it would be more noticeable on a softer mattress without specific edge support if you sleep in a spoon position in the very middle of the mattress).

There are also some comments in post #8 here and in this topic about the pros and cons of a split king mattress (two twin XL mattresses instead of an eastern king size mattress) that may be helpful as well.

Having said that … the only way to know for certain whether a specific split king mattress would work for your specific body types and sleeping styles would be based on your own personal experience so the return policy would become a more important part of the value of any online purchase where you aren’t confident that it would be a good “match” for you in terms of all your individual criteria (including center support) that are important parts of your personal value equation.

Hopefully some of the members here that own a split king BME in the firmness levels you are considering will see your post and share their comments but they may have different body types or sleeping styles than you do and their experience may be different from your own so when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Great advice, I will contact Brooklyn Bedding - from what I’ve read on the thread about them, I can expect good and reliable feedback.

Phoenix, you are a wonder! Thank you for what you do!

Any suggestions on how to narrow down which latex mattress products would have such edges? We have decided to go with the customizable route (i.e. will have zippered encasements). It’s hard to tell from the vendors’ websites which might work best at minimizing the gap.

I can’t give advice on how to ensure a minimal gap, but I will say that having bought two side-by-side Brooklyn bedding latex hybrid twin xls (no longer offered, I believe), we found the gap to be very noticeable and ended up having to buy a foam wedge to bridge it. That’s worked well—though it bulges slightly—but could be an option to put inside the mattress casing if you find you notice the split. The mattresses we got have pretty firm edges compared to some pure latex mattresses I tried, so I think the risk might exist with any brand.