Ordered a Novosbed today to replace my Tempurpedic Deluxe (circa 2007)

My wife and I have had a queen size Tempurpedic Deluxe since it was a current model (I suppose that was around 2007) and decided it’s time for a King size. I’m 6’2" 245 while my wife is 5’ 10" and 170. She and I both are primarily side sleepers followed by back. No real stomach sleep to speak of. The Deluxe has served us well but it’s pretty much done at this point. When I lay down I fall right through the temper layers and I can feel the presence of core pretty well.

While talking with my wife about her preferences for our next bed she specifically requested a mattress that slept cooler and had more bounce. Tall order until I began understanding the value of Latex.

I was pretty convinced I wanted Latex due to the longevity claims over memory foam and factoring in my size. She and I visited a HealthyBack store here in Lexington KY and tried their Bliss line. I liked the Elegance model personally and she hated it. Too much bounce and didn’t like way the material deflected and supported her. :blink: I even shared all of the benefits, hypoallergenic (she’s a germ nut), Cooler, longevity. Nope, she wasn’t having it. She ended up trying the Tempurpedics and landed on the Tempur-Flex Elite as her bed of choice (apparently this bed has coils at the core which I’m not crazy about). But her comment was also that she liked all of the Tempurpedics more than the Healthyback Bliss 100% Talalay Latex line.

Since we we’re already used to the Deluxe it would seem the Novosbed Medium with 2 2" layers of 5lb memory foam would be a fairly close analog to the Deluxe that served us well. With the 1.8lb base I’m assuming this mattress may not last as long as the Tempurpedic but we should get 4-6 years from it which would make the value versus a Tempurpedic much more attractive.

To be honest, I was dead set on buying a SleepEZ 10000 or 13000. I had already compared the build of the Elegance and had the layers calculated by ILD to create the closest Bliss Elegance analog with SleepEZ. With my Wifes resistance to 100% Talalay latex, that put it on the back burner. If the Novosbed doesn’t work out (I suspect it will), I’m considering a SleepEZ 13000 with (bottom to top) Xfirm, Firm, Medium, Sensus 5.5lb 3 inch layers. Problem is, I haven’t found anyone on the forum with a 10000 or 13000 with the Sensus at the top layer of a latex config even though it had been mentioned several times. Anyone know of someone that has that config? I was thinking that we could leverage the strength (especially the core) and longevity of the latex with the feel and pressure relief of the Sensus so that it had more of a memory foam feel.

I’ve been pouring over the forums for a couple weeks. It’s certainly been an education. I do appreciate the information here and the affiliates with high quality options at approachable prices. I will update on the Novosbed once it arrives next week.

Hi BryanJ,

Thanks for letting know what you ended up deciding.

Based on your comments it certainly seems like you have done some very good research on the site but as you know … no matter how much you may “want to” like a material (or how much you may want your wife to like a certain material) … real life and personal experience can get in the way!

The specs of the Elegance are the same as the specs of the Pure Talalay Bliss Beautiful and it’s one of the softest mattresses in their line. You can see the specs in post #2 here. While it’s a moot point … it’s somewhat unfortunate that you didn’t have a chance to try a Dunlop latex mattress or perhaps a latex/polyfoam mattress which may have been a little less resilient or “springy”.

As you know this mattress uses high quality/density memory foam that are certainly suitable for your body weight and the 1.8 lb polyfoam would only be a “slight caution” because of the durability of the memory foam layers above it so your expectations about the durability and useful life of the mattress may be less than you will actually experience.

I don’t know of anyone off the top of my head that purchased a SleepEZ component mattress with a memory foam top layer (I think that most of the members that purchase from SleepEZ are more interested in latex) but Christeli makes the Luxe Estate and the Palais Grande Royale which both have latex support cores and 5.3 lb and 6 lb memory foam comfort layers and forum searches will bring up some comments and feedback about both of them. They don’t have a return policy and only offer exchanges but again since you have already made your purchase it’s also a moot point as well.

I’m glad the site could help you and you certainly ended up making a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thought I’d circle back after 30+ days of sleeping on the Novosbed Medium.

Frankly, it’s much more comfortable than the Tempurpedic Deluxe we were sleeping on. My wife and I are much happier with it. My wife however would like for it to be just a bit more supple. I am going to order the Comfort + Kit this week to hopefully make it more comfortable for her. I am quite happy with it so far.

The first night we slept on the new mattress it was 6 hours after we had unwrapped it. It was very soft, surprisingly soft. The next night it was completely different. Much firmer. Almost too firm. I suppose the mattress wasn’t completely finished expanding even though the mattress was at full size. 30 Days later it has loosened some. Overall I can definitively say, this mattress is more comfortable than the Tempurpedic Deluxe was when I bought it.

I also want to add that I purchased a base for the Novosbed Medium from Novosbed. Being an old wood worker, I used a bead of wood glue in every wood joint, fastening point and cross member including the slats. The bed is completely silent versus the old Tempurpedic base we used to have. It’s nice to enter and exit the bed without a sound at night. That’s another forgotten element to a good nights sleep. Minimizing partner disturbance…

Will update once we get the Comfort+ kit. I welcome any questions you may have,.

Hi BryanJ,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

BryanJ, waiting with baited breath on your next review installment! If you could comment on the Novosbed heat management capabilities (i.e. are you sleeping hot?), that would be great! Thanks for taking the time to review.

Hi jbril,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

This can be particularly true in the case of sleeping temperature because of all the many variables involved (see my reply in your other topic here) and you will find that even on the warmest mattresses only a minority of people will have significant temperature regulation issues. It would be risky to make any assessment of the sleeping temperature of any particular mattress based on one person’s experience because you could end up excluding a mattress that someone sleeps warm on that would do a great job of regulating temperature for you or conversely you could end up choosing a mattress that doesn’t regulate temperature nearly as well for you as it does for someone else.

The only way to know for certain whether any mattress (in combination with your mattress protector and sheets and bedding) will keep you in a neutral temperature range in your particular sleeping environment will be based on your own personal experience. In the case of Novosbed they have a great trial period so you can use your own experience to assess the sleeping temperature of the mattress rather than using someone else’s experience that may be very different from your own.

Phoenix

I 100% agree with your Phoenix but I also know my body… I’m a virtual furnace! If living in Iqaluit was an option (wife would leave me for sure), I’d move tomorrow!

You are right in that -I- have nothing to lose trying out the Novosbed for 120 days. I’d keep the old mattress in the basement as back-up in case it doesn’t work out. However, I’d hate to waste everyone’s time by having to return something that can’t be resold. I imagine that margins are really tight for a company like Novosbed and returns likely bite hard. This is why I look for evidence from longer term users on their experience. If there is a general concensus that users are sleeping hot, I will know not to bother.

John

Hi jbrill,

I don’t think that most manufacturers would consider trying their mattress as a “waste of time” and their return/exchange policies are built into the cost of the mattress anyway so that the majority of people that keep a mattress are the ones that pay for the minority of people who don’t.

It would also be very difficult to find “enough” reviews about a mattress that included information about all the many temperature regulation variables that may be involved (including the mattress protector, sheets and bedding, bedclothes, sleeping environment, sensitivity to temperature etc) to find any kind of reliable consensus about sleeping temperature that would have any real meaning to any specific person and I would also keep in mind that most people that don’t have any issues on their mattress (in terms of temperature regulation or otherwise) don’t even write reviews about the mattress they purchase.

Phoenix

I wanted to tie this post off as I hadn’t updated since I installed the comfort +kit.

The verdict on the Comfort+ Kit -
We hated it. We ordered the kit to make the bed softer and what came was not memory foam, it was just foam. It had a bunch of holes in the foam to help it breathe but being foam it made the bed hotter and more difficult to maneuver during the night. It did however make the bed softer but it ended up being too soft and frankly lost an appreciable amount of support in trade for that softness. We took the Comfort + kit off and have been happier without it.

The silver lining -
The bed itself seems to have “broken in” more and to our surprise is performing (for us) better than when it was new, now, 5 months later. I’m a side sleeper and find the support to be about as good as I’ve experienced. I’ve lost 22 pounds since the first post and perhaps that has some to do with it. We sleep very well, my wife likes the Novosbed Medium and that makes me happy. Happy Wife, happy life… Right now the bed is in a comfort zone that I hope it remains within throughout its life cycle which I hope to be at least 4-7 years.

I hope that helps anyone on the fence. Happy to take questions.

Hi BryanJ:

Thank you for your update on your Novosbed mattress. I appreciate you posting again.

[quote]The verdict on the Comfort+ Kit -
We hated it. We ordered the kit to make the bed softer and what came was not memory foam, it was just foam. It had a bunch of holes in the foam to help it breathe but being foam it made the bed hotter and more difficult to maneuver during the night. It did however make the bed softer but it ended up being too soft and frankly lost a appreciable amount of support in trade for that softness. We took the Comfort + kit off and have been happier without it.[/quote]

I’m sorry the Comfort+ foam layer didn’t work out for you. You are correct that it is not memory foam, but 2 lb. density polyfoam that does have the holes in it for extra ventilation. As you mentioned, this does make the product softer, but with extra softness the ability to reposition can be made more difficult. Some people enjoy this extra plushness, but unfortunately this was not the case for you.

[quote]The silver lining -
The bed itself seems to have “broken in” more and to our surprise is performing (for us) better than when it was new, now, 5 months later. I’m a side sleeper and find the support to be about as good as I’ve experienced. I’ve lost 22 pounds since the first post and perhaps that has some to do with it. We sleep very well, my wife likes the Novosbed Medium and that makes me happy. Happy Wife, happy life… Right now the bed is in a comfort zone that I hope it remains within throughout its life cycle which I hope to be at least 4-7 years[/quote].

I’m happy to hear about your weight loss – way to go! :cheer:

You are correct that the mattress will have gone through some softening (initial break-in is often a 3-6 month process, in general, to help relieve some of the initial “false firmness” of a mattress). At this point the more “dramatic” changes in the mattress should be done and I think your expectations of a 4-7 year comfort life are reasonable with normal use and rotation.

I know it can be difficult at times, but waiting for the product to go through this initial “breaking-in” can be advisable before deciding on the addition of a topper.

Very good news, and I am glad this is working out for you and your wife.

Phoenix

any updates on your experience with the novosbed? I’m looking at this bed, and would really like to know how firm/soft feeling your medium is now, and how it is holding up. Also, is it hot or cool feeling? I’m really looking into a tempurpedic adapt medium because the wife really likes the way it feels, but I’m hesitant on dropping 3 grand on a mattress. Thanks

Any response or direction or opinion I provide is of course subjective to me. Happy to provide feedback.

The mattress is perfect for us. It takes nearly the entire 120 days to break in. We thought it too firm (medium) when we bought it, right at the 120 day mark it was just about perfect. We did order the firmness adjustment kit to adjust it to less firmness but it was made from a differnrt type of foam, was WAY too hot and made the bed too plush with not enough support.

Mem foam is simply warmer than a traditional mattress. This bed is however noticeably cooler than the tempurpedic it replaced. I’m a side sleeper, 6’ 2" 225 lbs and it provides very nice hip support. (After break in of course)

I would absolutely recommend this mattress.

Thanks for your input.