Ordered Cozypure Mattress Today

My mattress journey continues. My previous attempt to find a suitable latex mattress didn’t quite work out, but I learned a lot. After returning to my innerspring/pillowtop for a while I have reached a place where I have no lower back pain and am back at a good baseline, and am ready to try latex again. Thanks to Phoenix’s great input I had experimented with shredded latex, a material I would not otherwise have considered, so I’d been eyeing the cozypure lanoodle. When a business trip took me into the vicinity of the Cozypure factory, I jumped at the opportunity to visit in person.

I started my shopping with a stay at the Cape Charles hotel It is a lovely boutique hotel and town - worth a visit even if you aren’t mattress shopping. But what took me there was the chance for an overnight test drive of the Cozypure mattress with a lanoodle topper. Staying overnight before going to the factory worked out well. I found the mattress pretty comfortable, but woke up in the morning with some lower back pain. The mattress in the hotel is the 10" model with the medium customizable layer. I knew that the soft layer would be too soft for me based on my previous mattress purchase, but didn’t know about medium - so this was a great way to find out.

After my overnight stay, I went to the CozyPure showroom in Norfolk. It is a wonderful showroom. A calm space, where they have all the mattresses arranged from thinnest to thickest, and with extra lanoodle toppers on hand, they can quickly allow you to test any model with a lanoodle topper. I am very impressed with the company as a whole. I like the philosophy of building a quality product that is expected to last a long time, and I was impressed with the range of feels they could produce with a relatively small number of components. Unlike other mattress shopping experiences, at no point did I feel rushed, pressured to make a decision and buy, or overwhelmed by a showroom of bewilderingly similar products whose differences are not apparent. Hans, was wonderful he listened attentively to my descriptions of my sleeping posture, goals, and my experience at Cape Charles. He then directed me to the 10" model with the firm customizable layer and a lanoodle topper. He gave me plenty of time to lay on it an experience it and to move about the show room testing all of the configurations without hovering, but being quick to appear whenever I peeked into the front desk area with a question.

I thought I’d share some of my observations with those who are not able to test in person for themselves.

• The lanoodle topper was thicker than I had imagined. At about 2" thick, it was quite comparable in thickness to the polyfoam pillowtop on my aging innerspring mattress, so I found it quite soft and didn’t find it to be a “thin” comfort layer. Didn’t realize until I started mattress shopping just how firm of a mattress I prefer. I found the lanoodle topper on a firm model mattress to be the closest latex equivalent to an innerspring pillowtop that I’ve tested.
  • Their wool is very clean. It had no “animal” smell that I could detect, and I smelled for it, since that is a smell I don’t like. The latex had a small amount of the rubber smell, but not disturbing.
  • They have the non-zone and zoned core only mattresses side by side for testing. I could feel the difference, especially laying on my back. It was an interesting sensation, the zoned one somehow felt “softer”. I suppose because it conformed to my body so well - I was reminded of Phoenix’s description of how a piece of wood perfectly formed to your body would feel soft. If I were a back sleeper, I expect I could sleep just on the core, it was more comfortable than other “firm” latex models I’ve tried at other vendors.
  • The construction of the covers is exceptional. The stretchy material that is quilted has a lot of flex to it, without any of the jello like feeling of the stretchy non-quilted covers. I liked it much better than the twill quilted sort of cover that Savvy Rest & Sleeping Organic have, all are high quality, but I feel the stretchy material in the Cozypure cover really makes the latex qualities shine.
  • The convoluted latex layer is very nice, I liked the 9" model quite a bit. I could feel just a bit of the eggshell shape, but found the sensation quite pleasant.
  • The 12" model’s feel was unique. I see what Phoenix means by all layers contributing to the mattress. The “by the numbers” analysis doesn’t really capture how they add together. If I was a side sleeper, this is the mattress I’d want. The thicker mattress made it a bit springier, being dunlop, I didn’t find any of the other models to be especially springy or bouncy. This was conforming in all the right places, but supportive. I’ve never been able to sleep on my side because my shoulder falls asleep. But laying on my side on this mattress was the most comfortable I’ve ever been on my side on a mattress.
  • My husband wasn’t able to visit with me, as I was leaving, they send me with a “samples” packet so he could touch and feel some pieces. I didn’t know those were available previously, I most liked that it had a piece of the convoluted latex in it - that’s very helpful to remote shoppers.

After laying on all the models, my favorites for an extended amount of time, I decided my favorites were
#1 The 9" with lanoodle topper
#2 The 10" with the firm customizable layer and the lanoodle topper

Both of these felt very similar to me, with the 9" feeling like it had a touch more surface softness, and a bit less overall spring and firmness. If I were single, I’d have purchased it. However, I didn’t think it would be soft enough for my husband who is a broad shouldered side sleeper. After some guidance from Hans I decided on the 10" model with the customizable layer at medium on my husband’s side, and firm on mine, with the lanoodle topper. So I effectively have a “differential” construction for stomach sleeping, and my husband has a “progressive” construction for side sleeping. I also got the zoned core, because I think it benefits us both, I get increased lower back support, and my husband gets better sinking in for his shoulders. I also really like that the 10" model’s cover has enough room for the convoluted layer to be added. So if I do decide that the feel of the 9" model is a better match, I can order that piece as a separate upgrade, and move my firm customizable layer to the bottom of the mattress, with the core, then the convoluted layer, then the lanoodle. Essentially the 9" mattress on top of a firm layer on the bottom. So that I could have this option later if I need it, I had them split the core into his and hers sides (they usually come as one solid piece), learning from my previous purchase experience, where getting not-split sides turned out to be a mistake. I also decided to get the full hotel package that comes with all the bedding, since the 100 night sleep well policy gives me great peace of mind. It is a great deal - since I wanted the lanoodle topper, the price difference is just about $0 to get all the other bedding too. And since I got the hotel package, they offer a $150 reimbursement if you send a copy of your receipt from staying at the Cape Charles - such a great deal, that made it very easy for me to decide to spend the money for the overnight stay there.

It will be a couple weeks for my mattress to be delivered. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

Hi awoods,

Wow … thanks for taking the time to share such detailed, insightful, and helpful comments about your experiences with Cozy Pure and the different mattresses they have available … I appreciate it!

I’m especially impressed with the clarity of your descriptions about the different options and combinations of materials and components they have available and I have no doubt that it will be very helpful for many others that are looking at their mattresses as well. I can almost “feel” what you were feeling on each combination you tried.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great choice and I’m looking forward to any additional comments you have the chance to share when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit as well.

Thanks again!

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I really appreciated all the descriptions others posted on their cozypure experiences, I hope my experiences are useful to others too. Stay tuned for an update after I receive my mattress.

Have you received your CozyPure mattress?

Not yet… I opted for white glove delivery, and that takes additional time to coordinate. Cozypure was very up front when I ordered making sure I understood the timeframe could be 2-3 weeks for standard delivery, and another week for white glove.

Hi Angela,
First let me thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful review of our showroom and the options we offer! It’s very informative and hopefully you were able to help other folks with decision-making. We were honored that you took the time from your trip to come visit us.
Your CozyPure Hotel Collection was ready August 17th and picked-up by our White Glove carrier on August 21st. We tracked it and looks like it should be arriving to you any day now. As you mentioned, white glove service does take longer (both pickup from here and delivery to customers). We think it’ll be worth it :slight_smile:
It was a pleasure meeting you Angela and thank you for choosing CozyPure®. We appreciate your business.
Sleep well,
-cheryl

Thanks for the nice comments Cheryl. It is so great to work with a business that cares so much about their customers!

I received my mattress, and have been sleeping on it for 5 days and thought I’d share some first impressions. First, the quality of the materials is just outstanding! There was a very small wool smell the first day, which dissipated very quickly - by the next day. I don’t care for the smell of wool, so the low odor is wonderful! The latex itself has a very light characteristic scent that is still noticeable, but not bothersome. It is less “sharp” smelling than other latex I’ve smelled. Doesn’t smell like the strong smelling rubber in rubber bands or tires, but more vanilla like. Everything about the mattress is exactly as it was in the showroom.

I’m feeling very optimistic about this bed. My husband liked it immediately, but then again, he isn’t picky. My first two nights of sleep, I was experiencing pressure points, enough so that I couldn’t fall asleep or stay asleep. I was confused about how the configuration I selected seemed to be firmer than it felt in the showroom. But I thought about it, and realized that in the showroom, I had been laying direcly on the lanoodle topper, no sheets or mattress protector. My Cozypure mattress protector arrived a couple days after the bed itself, so for the first couple nights I used the one from Berkely Ergonomics that I already had. I put the mattress protector on top of the lanoodle, and wondered if it was causing a drum effect? Indeed it was. For the third night, I removed the mattress protector, and just put the sheet over the lanoodle topper. This made a significant difference! The mattress protector was too tight to allow the noodles to shift enough to get good pressure point relief (e.g. on my kneecaps). Without it, it felt like the configuration I layed on in the showroom. I have slept pretty well since making that change. I have not had any low back pain, and no hip pain. When the cozypure mattress protector arrived, it is a bit looser than the berkely ergonomics one, but still holds the noodles more tightly than just a sheet. So for now I have the mattress protector over just the mattress itself, then the lanoodle on top of that with just a sheet over it. I may end up adding the sculpted layer of latex so that I can get a bit more pressure relief and have the mattress protector on top of the lanoodle topper. But overall, the lanoodle topper is making all the difference for me with latex. Thanks to Phoenix for the suggestion to try shredded latex - it is not something I would have considered at all on my own, but it turns out to be a great way to get the cush of a pillowtop with a more durable material. I will continue sleeping on this configuration for a while to give my body time to adjust. Even with the shredded latex, it is still a more energetic material than a polyfoam pillowtop, and it is taking me some time to adapt to the feel. But I’m encourage that I’m not having pain, and it is more just getting used to a different feel. I really love that with cozypure there is no timetable for making comfort adjustments. If at some point I decide to make a change I can, but I can take my time. That lack of time pressure is very helpful for me. I am also impressed with the range of configurations that can be achieved with a minimal number of components. Having the ability to add a 1 1/2" layer if I need it is something that no other vendor offered, and as I found with the last bed that I tried, while it was a good quality mattress, I needed more granularity than 3" increments to find the perfect fit.

Hopefully my comments are helpful to others who are looking. I’ll post again after giving my body more time to adjust to the new material.

Angela

Hi awoods,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed comments and feedback about your new mattress … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I especially appreciate your comments about how different mattress protectors or where you position them can affect the feel and performance of a mattress or sleeping system because many people aren’t aware of the difference it can sometimes make … especially for those that are more sensitive to smaller or more “granular” changes in a mattress.

I think your comments will be helpful for other forum members that are considering CozyPure and I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share as well.

Phoenix

Thought I’d post another update. I’m still feeling positive about this mattress, and am continuing my fine tuning. After a few weeks on the original configuration, as the cover and latex started to lose its “false firmness” during the normal break in process, the pressure points became less. I had a week of very comfortable sleeping, and then the normal softening reached the tipping point for my lower back and I started waking up in the morning with lower back pain. I used the technique I learned on this forum (can’t remember whose thread - but thanks!) of using a yoga mat to prevent sinking in. I use this technique regularly when I travel and am met with a bed that is way too soft. In this case, I used it above the mattress and below the lanoodle to identify that I was sinking in to the 3" latex layer too much.

After some discussion with CozyPure (they have been really great offering me advise on fine tuning!), I put the 3" firm layer on the bottom, the 6" core layer on top of that, and the lanoodle on top (in mid-Oct). This cleared up the lower back issues, but I was back to experiencing pressure points on my kneecaps and rib cage. After giving this configuration a couple week’s try, I decided to go ahead and order the 1 1/2" sculpted latex layer to add on top. In the time between when I ordered and when the layer arrived, the normal break in process seems to have once again softened just enough that my hips are sinking down too far and I started having increasing lower back pain again. Observing carefully how the mattress reacts when I lay down on it, I can see that the 3" layer on the bottom of the mattress flexes when I lay down, letting the core sink down into it some.

This week the new sculpted layer arrived. So armed with what I’ve observed, I decided to remove the 3" layer from my configuration. So I now have the 6" core layer, and the new convoluted layer on top, both enclosed in the case. Then the mattress protector, then the lanoodle on top of that. I’ve only had one night on this configuration, but so far I like it a lot (and it was the configuration I liked best in the showroom). I get really good pressure point relief, and it feels amazingly comfortable when I lay down. The deep support does seem firmer, and this morning my lower back pain was a bit less. So I’m encouraged that this will be the right configuration for me. Currently my side of the bed is shorter than my husband’s side (he loves the original configuration), but adding some extra firm material to the very bottom of the mattress to even out height is a simple matter. However, I will wait to do that until I have settled on this as my final configuration, I need to give it a few weeks to a month to see how my lower back responds.

When I received the convoluted layer, I also did a small experiment. I put down a sheet on the tile floor, layed the convoluted layer on top of it, added another sheet, and put the lanoodle topper on top. I then layed that way for about 20 minutes feeling out the pressure relief aspects. It seems to be just about perfect. I bottom out (rib cage, knees, hips), but only just. It was really very comfortable, I had very little pressure points and good lower back alignment. I honestly think I could sleep that way pretty comfortably. So it was a great test, that by themselves, the comfort layers are not too thick for me. That means that I just need to get a firm enough layer underneath so that it eases the transition to firm material slightly, but doesn’t let my hips sink down much. So far the core layer seems to be doing just that. Hopefully it has finished its softening & break in period and I’ll be done fiddling=)

Again, very impressed with the quality and configure-ability of the CozyPure mattress. I have unusual sleeping needs, and while it is taking some time, I feel I’m making steady progress toward a configuration that will work for me.

Hi awoods,

Thanks once again for taking the time to share another update in such detail … I appreciate it.

It’s also good to hear that you seem to be making good progress towards your ideal configuration as well.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up with for your final configuration.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,
I have been following this post today, 1/27/2017 although the post is dated 07 Sept 2015.
I relate to AWOODS has experienced with pressure points etc., and I would like to try out the layering she has put together. I don’t see an update since her last ‘check in’ on this forum.
Here are my questions;
What is a 6" core layer? Is this the mattress itself?

What kind of 1 1/2 " sculpt latex layer or convoluted layer did she use?

What does the 1 1/2 " sculpted latex layer or the convoluted layer do under the LaNoodle topper?

I’m having to tweak a bit with my Vi Spring Regal Superb mattress which is medium firm.
The Vi Spring Heaven Luxury Supreme topper that I have, is too firm. It’s 3" (wool, cotton and horse tail). When I tried it on the showroom floor that we put on top of the Regal Superb mattress made the mattress softer with support in my lower back region.

I have switched off and on with the 3 inch topper and it doesn’t relieve the pressure point pains on my hips and lower back. It’s like sleeping on two firm mattresses.

I tried Vi Spring Heaven Luxury 2 1/2 inch topper (wool and cotton) and that was firm.

Last of the 3 Vi Spring toppers is the Heaven 2 inch topper ( all wool) was too soft.

Next I tried a 2 inch memory foam topper on top of the mattress and it was too firm.

Next I put a 1 1/2 inch wool topper on top of the memory foam topper and it was snuggly but didn’t relieve the pressure point pains on the hip and a nightmare to the lower back.

The next night I put the 1 1/2 inch wool topper on top of my mattress. It was soft and snugly and no relief on the hip pressure point pains and lower back pain.

Here is a temporary fix;
Following night I folded in half a Full size Down Feathered comforter and folded in half a Full size Down Feathered blanket.
I layered the folded comforter on top of the mattress then the folded blanket on top of the comforter.
Then the fitted sheet on top of the folded blanket.
It was soft, snugly but did not resolved the pressure point pains on the hip that shoots to the knee and the lower back. Tossing and turning is a bit painful and awakens me from sleep.

Now I’m back to trying a different layering and would love your suggestion, advise, correction, anything!

Yesterday I ordered the Full size LaNoodle topper in sheer desperation and from the reviews I’ve read here about the LaNoodle topper. It should arrive in two or less weeks.

I’ll put the LaNoodle topper on top of the Vi Spring mattress and hope this solves the pain and aches.

This is where I’m asking you about the 1 1/2 inch sculpt layer under the LaNoodle topper.
Which kind did AWOODS get and how has it helped her since her last ‘check in’ at this forum.
What other options do I have???

Thank you Phoenix,
I’m longing to get a long night deep sleep.

Hi Maxie,

[quote]I relate to AWOODS has experienced with pressure points etc., and I would like to try out the layering she has put together. I don’t see an update since her last ‘check in’ on this forum.
Here are my questions;
What is a 6" core layer? Is this the mattress itself?
What kind of 1 1/2 " sculpt latex layer or convoluted layer did she use?
What does the 1 1/2 " sculpted latex layer or the convoluted layer do under the LaNoodle topper?[/quote]
Here is a link to a diagram of a sample configuration of a mattress similar to the on awoods configured. Hers was a custom configuration. All of these layers were latex.

I would advise you to be cautious about using other people’s experiences as a recommendation of something that will work for you, especially when you have your own specific issues with pain radiating down your leg. I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. A mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words, other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

As we’ve touched on before and as I reiterated above, unfortunately I can only assist with the “how” to choose and not the “what”, as I can’t feel what you feel, I don’t have your specific pain issues, and you’re taking a specific product and customizing it with a topper, introducing a second variable.

With that being said, there are a few things that I gleaned from your comments that might be useful for you. All of the toppers you’ve mentioned consist primarily of natural fibers and while certainly “cozy”, they will tend to be a fit firmer as far as a topper goes. It may be true that something along the lines of a plush latex foam (perhaps like the LaNoodles that you ordered) will offer you better pressure point relief. A solid sheet of latex foam might be easier for you to reposition in, and even the LaNoodles should be a bit easier for you to move around than some of the thicker fiber toppers. Additionally, you described a pain radiating form the lower back down the leg, similar to what patients with sciatica describe. Of course, I’m not an orthopaedist, but there can be instances where if a mattress is too soft it can also cause these back issues, allowing for too much low back sag that can further allow compression of an already bulging or compressed disc. You of course would be the best judge of what is causing your issues, and you seem to think that it is more of a pressure-point issue based upon your previous posts. I only bring this up as a reminder to people reading through this thread that pain like yours can come from “too soft” and “too hard” of a mattress.

I’m looking forward to your comments once you’ve had a chance to use and adjust to your new topper and see if that provides you more relief than your previous choices.

Phoenix