Organic Cover, worth the upgrade? Layering advice?

i am looking at getting a sleepez bed Talalay blend
This comes with the “regular” cotton and wool cover.
I was thinking of “upgrading” to the all organic- not sure if this is worth the additional funds? Hoping to accomplish the least amount of chemicals/pesticides etc. Not sure if, given this goal, I should focus on an “organic mattress protector” instead?

Also had another question… I had an opportunity to try a 100% Talalay mattress 3 layer m/f/xtra firm - this seemed more pressure relieving over the 4 layer med/med/firm/xtra firm is this possible? Would the talalay blend make a significant difference in feel/pressure relief?

My S.O. wants the 4 layer to compensate for the fact he knows due to size he should not get s/m/f for durability purposes-

Thanks for the input.

DD

Hi DD,

[quote]i am looking at getting a sleepez bed Talalay blend
This comes with the “regular” cotton and wool cover.
I was thinking of “upgrading” to the all organic- not sure if this is worth the additional funds? Hoping to accomplish the least amount of chemicals/pesticides etc. Not sure if, given this goal, I should focus on an “organic mattress protector” instead?[/quote]

They would know more about the specific differences between each cover and would be a better source of guidance than I would. It would also depend on how you feel about organic certifications vs a similar material that wasn’t certified (see post #2 here about organic certifications). I doubt that one has any more chemicals or pesticides in it or would be any “safer” than the other and unless there was a compelling reason to do otherwise … I would tend to choose the cover that came with the mattress I was considering.

[quote]Also had another question… I had an opportunity to try a 100% Talalay mattress 3 layer m/f/xtra firm - this seemed more pressure relieving over the 4 layer med/med/firm/xtra firm is this possible? Would the talalay blend make a significant difference in feel/pressure relief?

My S.O. wants the 4 layer to compensate for the fact he knows due to size he should not get s/m/f for durability purposes-[/quote]

Assuming that both the 3 layer and 4 layer mattress were the same type and blend of latex and the same firmness levels … it would certainly go against “theory” that the thinner mattress was more pressure relieving (thicker mattresses or layers of the same materials are generally softer and more pressure relieving than thinner layers or mattresses … see post #14 here) but I never argue with anyone’s personal experiences because there are so many subjective perceptions and variables involved in what each person feels so if your testing indicates that one mattress is more pressure relieving than another then that’s what would be most important to me.

Blended Talalay is not as dense as 100% natural Talalay and 100% natural Talalay has a higher compression modulus (it gets firmer faster as you compress it more) so if the thickness and ILD of each was exactly the same and the same layers were over and underneath it and it had the same cover then the blended would probably be a little more pressure relieving than the 100% natural.

If your SO is in a higher weight range then 4 layers with two mediums on top may be a better choice than 3 layers with a soft medium on top but SleepEZ will also give you good guidance about whether this would be necessary or a better option for his weight range. A knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer will also know more about the specifics of their mattresses and which of their options would be the best match “on average” for different body types and sleeping positions than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix