Organic Latex topper - still has strong rubbery smell after 2 months

I purchased organic 3 inch thick latex topper without cover from Organic Textiles in Santa Ana, CA.
I purchased it on a cold day and it did not seem to have any strong smell.
However, in worm room it has a VERY strong rubbery smell. I even ventilated it outdoor for few weeks BUT it still has a VERY strong rubbery smell.
Any idea what is going on with this latex? Most post says the smell will go away after few days.
Is there a chance this STRONG smell will ever go away? If yes, after how many months? Years?
Thank you.

Hi Andrew789,

There are some comments about the smell of latex in post #2 here and post #8 here and there are some suggestions in post #3 here that may be helpful as well.

The smell of natural latex can vary in strength from batch to batch and some people are also more sensitive to the smell of rubber than others so for them the smell of the latex will be stronger. In most cases it will diminish to levels that most people don’t notice or at least doesn’t affect them in a matter of a few weeks to a few months (and often sooner) even though if you put your nose close to the latex it will still have a slight smell but there are some latex cores that seem to have a stronger smell or retain their smell for longer (this is more common with natural Dunlop) and some people seem to be more strongly affected by the smell and never seem to get used to it even at levels that doesn’t seem to affect or be noticeable to others.

It may be worth talking to the retailer you purchased it from to see if they have any suggestions or whether they would be able to exchange it for one that didn’t have such a strong smell.

Phoenix

We recently replaced our 6 year old latex/innerspring mattress. The latex was 100% natural Taladay latex (I think). Even after 6 years, I could still smell the latex if I closed the door to the bedroom and walked in a few hours later. It permeated everything in our room- our room smelled like latex for a couple of weeks after removing the mattress! The odor was worse when it would rain. We live in a house without air conditioning, so I suspect the humidity and heat in the summer made the odor stronger.

On the other hand, I had 2 blended Taladay latex 1" thick toppers, and they smelled for a few months, then the smell decreased, I could smell them if my nose was right up to them, otherwise, they didn’t bother me.

To me, the blended latex smelled “sweeter” than the natural latex.

I think it depends how sensitive you are to odors too- my husband could barely smell the latex when we got it (and it was strong!), and he couldn’t really smell it after 6 years unless he put his nose up to it.