Organic Mattress

Hi, I’ve looked quite a bit through your website and respect your opinion in regards to mattresses. However, I’m overwhelmed with all the choices and brands. Do you have any suggestions on particular mattresses that are natural/organic (without VOCs and flame retardants), soft-medium firmness and around $800 for a king size?

I’d really appreciate any suggestions.

Hi omadam,

If by “organic” you mean a mattress that is certified organic or that is made only from materials that are certified organic even if the mattress itself isn’t certified organic (which would include organic latex and organic wool and other natural fibers) then your budget would be too low to reasonably expect to find a mattress that fit your criteria and used only materials that were certified organic. There is more about organic certifications in post #2 here and the post it links to.

If on the other hand you are open to considering either “natural” or “mostly natural” materials or even “safe” materials (even though they may not be organic or natural) then you would have many more options in your budget range even though they wouldn’t be certified organic.

There is also more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how organic is organic enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

Once you have decided on the type of materials you are comfortable with having in your mattress then you will be in a much better position to begin researching mattresses that are the best “match” for your criteria and that are inside your budget range. The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices.

The tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and many of them also make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including some that use organic latex and wool fire barriers) that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

Some of the lower budget latex and latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of are also listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot. I think I’ve narrowed it down to these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S5EHUR4/ref=pd_aw_sbs_hg_7?refRID=00J3X29Z68KJ0RFCQ8FN

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QBZ25SS?vs=1

Which would you suggest?

Hi omadam,

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S5EHUR4/ref=pd...00J3X29Z68KJ0RFCQ8FN

The Brentwood mattresss doesn’t provide the information I would need to make any meaningful comments about it but if you can find out the information listed in this article and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials or the mattress as a whole.

It seems somewhat odd to me that they would be using certified organic latex in a mattress that also includes memory foam and polyfoam which are both synthetic materials but of course that doesn’t affect the quality of the materials. I would also make sure that if you do find out the quality/density of all the layers so you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that you are also confident that the firmness level you choose would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and/or that you are comfortable with Amazon’s large items return policy (see post #11 here) just in case the mattress doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

As you probably know Tuft & Needle is one of the members of the site which means that I think highly of them in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and they use high quality materials and there are no weak links in their mattress (see posts #2 and #6 here). If you are considering one of their mattresses though I would buy it directly from the Tuft & Needle website so that you have the benefit of the 6.5% discount for being a forum member here and you would also have their 120 day free return policy instead of Amazon’s 30 day return policy that has a cost involved.

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options by identifying any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress or act as a fact check or answer any specific questions you may have along the way that I can help with and help you with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, company, or manufacturer is the best match for you in terms of PPP and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Post #2 here has more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for each person’s specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix