Organic/Natural Latex -- Found My Right Mix in a Showroom, but Considering Buying Online

If anyone has gone through a similar experience in purchasing an organic/natural latex bed and found success, I would appreciate any feedback on my situation.

My wife and I live in the Washington, DC area. We have visited the local SavvyRest showroom (several times) and spent several hours mixing and matching our 3" latex cushions, to get our perfect match. We are going with a 9" combination including a mix of talalay and dunlop. Surprisingly, my wife and I had the exact same combination – 3" soft talalay on top, 3" medium dunlop in the middle, and 3" firm dunlop on the bottom.

Now the dilemma – why not just buy it from SavvyRest? Well, I would love to (assuming Phoenix and others still consider them to be a reputable group). However, their prices for what seem like the exact same organic and 100% natural latex are at least $1K - $1.5 more than SleepEZ (and Foam Sweet Foam) for what seems like same bed, same materials, at a much better price.

Is there any way to match up the latex combinations you already like from one company but buy from another online that you haven’t actually laid on – knowing full well that ILDs seem to be all over the map from company to company, manufacturer to manufacturer? Is there any comparison chart out there that compares the talalay and dunlop ILDs for various companies? It would seem to be very beneficial for people in my situation.

I have no issues with SavvyRest at all. Their products seem to be high quality and will certainly still consider buying from them – but if I can pay $1K - $1.5K less for the same bed, I would do so. But, how do you avoid the shipping game with an online purchase as you try to match a combination you already found in a showroom?

Maybe I’m asking too much. Thanks for any advice.

Hi bdm7,

[quote]Now the dilemma – why not just buy it from SavvyRest? Well, I would love to (assuming Phoenix and others still consider them to be a reputable group). However, their prices for what seem like the exact same organic and 100% natural latex are at least $1K - $1.5 more than SleepEZ (and Foam Sweet Foam) for what seems like same bed, same materials, at a much better price.

Is there any way to match up the latex combinations you already like from one company but buy from another online that you haven’t actually laid on – knowing full well that ILDs seem to be all over the map from company to company, manufacturer to manufacturer? Is there any comparison chart out there that compares the talalay and dunlop ILDs for various companies? It would seem to be very beneficial for people in my situation.[/quote]

Savvy Rest is certainly a good company and uses good quality materials (organic latex and 100% natural Talalay) in their mattresses. Like you though there are many people who have balked at purchasing from them because they are in a significantly higher budget range than other very similar mattresses that use the same or very similar materials in similar firmness levels and have a similar cover.

While they may not feel exactly the same as each other because of variances in the ILD of molded Dunlop even with layers that are made by the same manufacturer (the top half of a 6" core will generally be noticeably softer than the bottom half of the same core for example) … both SleepEz and Foam Sweet Foam sell mattresses that use very similar materials (molded 100% natural or organic Dunlop and 100% natural Talalay) and have a similar (but not the same) wool quilted cotton cover. There is more about the difference (and there really isn’t much outside of cost and the certification) between 100% natural and organic Dunlop in post #6 here. Their layers are also in a similar firmness range. Both of them have experience with customers that have tested Savvy Rest mattresses and if you talk to them on the phone they will be able to give you good guidance about how their mattresses compare to a Savvy Rest mattress.

None of the mattresses you are considering have any weak links or low quality materials in their design and which one of your final choices would be the best “value” for you would really depend on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you and on whether a close approximation to the Savvy Rest along with the options you have after a purchase to rearrange or exchange layers or even return the mattress would make the higher risk of an online purchase vs the higher cost “worth it” to you.

Phoenix

Here is my take:

1. You could try a bit of hunt and peck method with an online mattress seller to save $1k or so. My experience in shopping recently is that similar materials, build quality, etc., doesn’t guarantee an exact same sleeping experience. Slight differences in density of materials can result in support and/or comfort layers feeling differently. Are you the very sensitive type? I am, and I could feel slight differences, differences in pressure points, balance, alignment, etc.

If I hadn’t found a mattress/topper combination that seemed just right, I might have tried to save dough and go for the least expensive, good quality option.

HOWEVER, I think I found THE ONE in a store. How much time and effort do you want to put into this in order to save a grand?

Which brings me to –

1. Buying THE ONE and at a local dealer. You took their time. You put their floor stock through some paces. You found what seems to be a perfect mattress. A good local dealer will seek your loyalty and stand behind the mattress and want to keep you happy. Mainly, you found what seems like the perfect mattress. What is that worth to you over the life of the mattress in terms of comfort and a better night’s sleep?

We went with it and it cost us about $1000 more than choice #2.

By the way, THIS local dealer (The Organic Mattress in Sudbury, MA) offers to come to your house once per year to do a mattress flip, or inner support layer flip if the inner layers are accessible, for no charge.

Phoenix, as usual, thanks for your thoughtful reply and the associated links to further helpful information for my decision. I’m still torn which route to go, but if I did decide to go online, I would feel less hesitant.

AnalogJ, I also appreciate your response. I will take into account the time and effort spent in the showroom as a factor in my purchase decision, although price does count too and I am on a budget.

You’re in control, man. But I want to underline that you found the perfect one (other than price). In my experience, I couldn’t replicate it elsewhere. Somewhat close, but not perfect. How important that is a factor to you is personal.

Couldn’t agree more. I’m certainly seriously considering ‘biting the bullet’ and just going with what we know will work. Just wish SavvyRest had a sale once in a while. They are about the most expensive on the market it seems and the only good ‘showroom’ option in the area it appears.

Phoenix – AnalogJ made me think of a new question. Do you know of any other reputable latex bed dealers with showrooms in the DC area? The only other one that was recommended a few years ago seems to have gone out of business.

I only want to deal with organic and/or 100% natural options and plan to buy a full latex bed – no toppers, etc. I can’t find any other places except for SavvyRest that sell anything but toppers or allow you to ‘configure and test’ on site.

I found a very intriguing option in Massachusetts, a company called Berkeley Ergonomics. I assume that Phoenix will chime in if they are. They’re a California company, but they are largely natural (they use poly casing for each layer), but they’re quite customizable and well looking into. Their mattresses are about 60% of the cost of Green Sleep and Savvy Rest, not quite the build quality, but close. If you could find a model, they are a good opt-in. I’d say we could get the fit about 85% of what I got with the Green Sleep Niu. They have both all latex as well as latex/coil hybrids.

Hi bdm7,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Washington DC area are listed in post #2 here. You may need to call some of them to make sure they carry mattresses that fit your criteria but there are several there that are “possibilities”.

@ AnalogJ

I’m guessing you mean Flybynight in Northampton? If that’s who you mean they are a BE dealer and also carry other mattresses as well. You can see my comments about them in the post #6 here and they are included in the Springfield/Northampton, MA list here. A forum search on flybynight will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. A forum search on Berkeley Ergonomics will also bring up much more information and feedback about them and as you know I also I think highly of them.

Phoenix

I was referring to BE. The OP isn’t going to Northampton, so I didn’t think it relevant the name of the store.