Organic non wool non chemical mattress cover

Hi,

Here’s my story. I would like to have a mattress covered in nothing that I would consider potentially toxic.

I ordered the Queen special of the month 8-inch latex mattress from Sleep EZ. https://www.sleepez.com/latex-mattress-sale.htm I would probably have gone for the Select Sleep 9000 but I am allergic to wool and I didn’t want to take a chance on the quilted cotton cover with the wool layer. I would have loved to be able to get the organic cotton cover without the wool but that was not an option.

I would like to remove the stretchy cotton/rayon cove that comes with the 8-inch latex special (I am not a big fan of the silica in the cover—do you know if it is hydrated or dry silica?) and replace it with something as close as I can get to the quilted cotton/wool that comes with the Select Sleep 9000 minus the wool. It doesn’t have to be quilted—as pressure relief is important it would probably be better for it to be non-quilted wouldn’t it? But at any rate, cotton, preferably organic, without the wool or any fire retardant.

Do you have any suggestions?

Also, my understanding is that it is highly advisable to have a waterproof mattress pad on top of memory foam. Is this also necessary for a latex mattress? Also, are there any other covers, protectors, pads, or something I should have on my mattress? I have read and re-read the posts on the difference between covers, pad, protectors, cases, etc. and I am still confused.

Please help!

Thanks!

I can appreciate your dilemma. While wool allergies are generally contact allergies, as is mostly the case with latex as well - some are unable to tolerate wool at all, so I understand.

On my bed we used a wool ‘puddle pad’ underneath our fleece layer - yes, wool. Many use organic cotton quilted pads, but I found they stiffen up the response of my bed. It’s all a dance without rhythm.

Regarding the cover, there I can offer my two cents worth - - I ordered this cover from Cozy Pure and it’s absolutely lovely! So lovely that I’m going to get a blanket or two from them as well. It’s thick, soft, and ample on the mattress.

Hi SallyS,

The silica used in inherent fire retardant fabrics is added to the viscose liquid as silicic acid before it is spun into a fiber. It is non toxic and doesn’t migrate out of the fabric because it’s an inherent part of the fabric itself (see post #2 here). Silicon is also an important micronutrient in the human body and cereal grains are a significant source of silica (silicon dioxide).

If you replace the wool in a wool quilted cover with something else then it would have a different feel and response. There really isn’t an “equivalent” to wool. There is more about the pros and cons of wool quilted covers in post #6 here.

The component post here has some of the better sources for mattress covers that I’m aware of and post #4 here includes the ones that have knit cotton mattress covers.

A mattress protector is important for any type of mattress regardless of what it’s made of. It will protect your mattress from the body fluids and dead skin cells that you normally release every night as well as any accidents. They will also protect the warranty which is normally voided with any stains on the mattress. They can be more easily removed and cleaned than a mattress cover (which surrounds the mattress) so they can keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. There is more about the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here and the one from CozyPure that SallyS is using is a very high quality example of the knit cotton type.

Mattress pads or mattress toppers are meant to add some softness to your mattress and will change the feel or performance to different degrees (depending on the thickness).

Phoenix

Hi SallyS,
I’m trying to decide if using the cozypure cotton knit protector with a wool puddle pad would change the feel of our latex mattress. Is this what you used on your bed? Do you like it?
Thanks for any help you can give!

This is an old thread but curious from @SallyS or anyone else why you have a moisture barrier and a protector? I would think the moisture barrier would be pretty strong by itself plus, no? Thanks for the help.