Organic pure echo vs organic natural latex mattress for my toddler

Hi,
I am recently trying to pick a good natural, non-toxic mattress for my 2.5 year-old toddler.
I am deciding between the Green mattress organic pure echo mattress and an organic or at least 100% natural latex mattress.
I really like latex mattress since it is natural and very durable but I am not sure if it is good for children since it might cause some allergies due to the proteins from latex according to some online discussion.
For organic latex option, since 6’’ organic or natural latex mattress can be pretty pricey and we are going to buy two mattresses for the trundle bed, I am thinking of just using a 3’’ firm organic latex topper covered by organic cotton cover as my toddler’s mattress. Possibly, putting a wool mattress pad over it. Would that be too thin for the toddler? Since her bed frame is slated, should I use a coconut rug to make the 3’’ latex topper more supportive without feeling the slates?

3’’ organic latex topper- https://www.myorganicsleep.com/products/organic-latex-topper-3-inches?variant=838738969

Alternatively, just 100% natural latex - Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper | SleepOnLatex.com

Wool mattress pad - Aussie Wool Mattress Pad in Organic Cotton – My Organic Sleep

I would appreciate any comments or insights to help with my decision!

Hi jtinternet,

My comments to another member earlier today in my reply in post #2 here would be relevant to most of your questions as well.

There is more about latex allergies in post #2 here.

There are different types of latex “allergies” that can be aggravated by frequent contact with the allergen (which usually aren’t the latex proteins themselves) but it would be no more likely to have an allergy to the latex proteins themselves than to many other materials that are used in mattresses and there is also no contact with the latex in a mattress because it has a cover. There is also no evidence in any of the literature that I’ve seen (and I’ve read a lot of it) that sleeping on a latex mattress can increase the chances of developing a latex allergy so unless you have a specific reason to be cautious based on certain medical issues or medical history … latex allergies with a latex mattress aren’t something that I would be concerned about.

I would tend to use 6" of latex in either a single layer or two 3" layers. As a bare minimum 4" may be OK although this may also not be thick enough especially as they get older and heavier.

The Pure Echo would have firmer edge support which may be a consideration if you are often likely to sit on the side of the mattress with your child for “story time”.

Phoenix