OrganicPedic Midori, Worth it?

Hello,

Thank you for creating and operating this website. It has been very useful.

My wife and I have been looking for a mattress that fits our need and we were introduced to OrganicPedic Midori (which I think was either firm or medium firm) at a local mattress store and we both liked it. We also tried firm/medium-firm Eco Bliss from Latexbliss (http://www.latexbliss.com/shop/all-natural-eco-talalay-4) and liked it as well but decided to go with the Midori as it was organic where as the Eco Bliss is just natural. And both mattresses were priced at $3000.

What bothers me is that while the mattress is $2200, the foundation costs whooping $800 for a queen size. I’ve also read on the forums that OrganicPedics are on the expensive side looking at value/cost.

I wonder what my options are now if I wanted to get a mattress that is value/price wise better than the OrganicPedic. We are in a bit of a hurry as we are currently sleeping on the carpet floor with a few layers of blankets and my wife has started to experience some back pains. But we also do not want to end up being stuck with a bed that we don’t find perfect as the store does not accept returns.

Here are some stats about us

Wife:
5’6’’
120lb
Sleeps on her side

Myself:
5’7’’
143lb
Sleeps on my back

Hi Ferenein,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The most important part of “value” is that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) so there is certainly some “value” in being able to test a mattress in person (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) to make sure that it’s a good “match” for you.

The Midori uses organic Dunlop latex and a cotton cover quilted with wool so there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of durability.

There are certainly other mattresses that are available to you that are made by some of the online members here that are listed in the tutorial (there is a link to them in the optional online step) and there may be others that are similar that are available locally to you as well depending on where you live. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If another mattress uses either uses two 3" layers or a single 6" layer of 100% natural Dunlop latex (or organic Dunlop) and also has a similar cotton cover quilted with wool and uses the same type of latex with the same firmness level as the Midori and has a cover that has the same type of cotton fabric and amount of wool and quilting pattern then the mattress as a whole would also be very similar as well. There is also more about the different types and blends of latex and more about organic Dunlop latex in post #6 here and the posts it links to because the Eco Bliss uses Talalay and the Midori uses Dunlop and there are many people that prefer one over the other. There is also more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

Some of the other options that you have available would be in a lower budget range so from a “commodity” point of view they would be better value but of course the value of a mattress purchase involves much more than just the cost of the raw materials vs the price of the mattress. Most of them also have a better exchange and return policy which can help reduce the risk of an online purchase that you can’t test in person before a purchase. Once you are down to final choices that are between “good and good” (see post #2 here) then which one would be the best value for you (regardless of whether it may be the best value for someone else with different criteria) would depend on all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the information, Phoenix. Now I understand the difference between Talalay and Dunlop. :slight_smile:

Our zip code is 95136, San Jose, CA. I looked at the membership area and it seems like Bay Beds is the closest option. Are there any other places that you might recommend?

Hi Ferenein,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Jose area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I wanted to thank you for your guidance through buying our mattress. We actually ended up buying a mattress from SleepEZ with one layer of firm dunlop, a medium talalay, and a soft talalay. My wife and I were quite satisfied until we unzipped the mattress to swap a layer.

What we discovered was that on some of the holes, there were dark brownish spots that look like in attachment 1. I am pretty sure I did not have these when the latex first arrived at my home. Also, I was able to easily remove these from the latex just by grabbing them with my fingers.

We found these in numerous places throughout the top layer (soft) of our mattress. We found them in the middle and bottom layer too but only one or two of them.

There were also some places in the latex that looked like a hole created by bugs as you can see below. I cannot recall whether my latex looked like this when they first arrived.

Below is what the dark brown things look like after I had removed them from the latex.

Lastly, I noticed this from the beginning but my dunlop layer does not have holes that go all the way through. The other side has deeper holes but they also do not go all the way through the latex. I hope this did not block the air flow of the bed and gave me those brown things

At this point I am wondering:

• what those brown things are (bug droppings or molds? can they be something else?)
  • whether it is ok for me to keep using those dunlop latex with no holes (I hope it does not cause mold to grow on the cotton due to providing bad air flow)
  • what I should do next (return the bed? just get the dunlop layer replaced?)

I am actually quite lost about what is going on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ferenein,

I don’t think you have anything to worry about with any of your concerns.

Latex layers (especially natural latex) usually have small imperfections and voids or areas of discoloration this is not something that is caused by bugs. It’s completely normal (see here)

The pincores in latex never go through the entire molded core. A latex mold has pincores in both the top and bottom of the mold so unless a layer is slit from a section of the original 6" molded core that only includes the top or bottom pincores the holes will only go part way through the latex. The depth of the holes will also depend on where the layer is cut from the original core.You can see some videos of how different types of molded latex is made in post #3 here. You can also see some pictures here of Latex cores which show the top and bottom pincores. The breathability of latex comes from the open cell structure of the latex.

I would need to have a closer look at the particles or feel them to be able to guess what they may be but they certainly don’t look like either bug droppings or molds or anything similar to me. Latex is very “sticky” and can easily pick up loose pieces of material or fiber from anything anything comes in contact with it and and they look like some type of crumbles from something that was against the latex. It’s also possible that they could be small particles of latex that come from slitting the latex. If they can easily be removed then it’s not something that would concern me.

I don’t see anything unusual or that would be concerning (even though I don’t know what the particles are) and hopefully this will put your mind at ease :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you for your detailed explanations and prompt response. I do feel much better than before. Your deep knowledge about mattresses continues to impress me.

I will probably check again in a week or two to see if I have any more of these dark brown things. I surely hope I don’t see any more of them.

Thanks again.