Original Mattress Factory-are these better quality than National Name Brand matresses?

Looking for a good quality mattress set.

Does the original Mattress Factory make a better quality mattress than Serta, Simmons, etc?

I don’t live close to a store so I would have to pay high freight and not really
be able to take advantage of the warranty due to high freight costs.

Do they make such a superior product that it would be worth the additional expense
and have no warranty, if needed?

My parents are very happy with theirs because my father is on the heavy side and the OMF was able to tailor the mattress for his weight.

There are many great quality mattress companies and yes some are higher quality than some of the national and most recognizable on the market. Just food for thought I have been in the mattress industry for over 25 years and am currently with Restava Mattresses. You should not be expected to give up warranty because of shipping issues.

Hi jodebg,

Have you had the chance to read the tutorial post?

Outside of how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it. A brand name on a label doesn’t say anything about what is inside any specific mattress that you may be considering.

OMF tends to use higher quality materials inside their mattresses compared to the major brands and if you are in one of the areas that they service they would usually make a higher quality choice but regardless of the manufacturer it’s always important to make sure you know what is inside any mattress you are considering so you can use the guidelines in the tutorial post to help you identify any weak links and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses based on the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Every manufacturer makes higher and lower quality mattresses. Without knowing what is in a mattress it’s not possible to make any quality comparisons between them.

There are good quality and value mattresses available in most areas of the country and of course online. OMF is a regional manufacturer that services some areas of the country and not others but I would first look for some of the better options that are available locally or look at manufacturers that sell online that specialize in shipping their mattresses across the country using lower cost shipping methods because it probably wouldn’t be worth the high cost of common carrier to buy an OMF mattresses if you aren’t close enough to one of their stores to test it in person beforehand.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area and the tutorial post also includes links to some of the better online options I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix-
Also spoke with The Mattress Factory in TX.
First impression was not many choices, sometimes that is good.
Do they use superior materials and construction, pricing, and good customer service?
I also have to factor in freight to CT.

Hi jodebg,

While I would certainly consider them for a local purchase where you can test the mattress before buying it … with the high cost of shipping and because you wouldn’t have any cost effective options to make any changes to the mattress after a purchase if you make the wrong choice in terms of PPP, I would probably consider other options if you aren’t local to them.

The certainly use some high quality materials although to some degree it would depend on the specific mattress you are looking at because all manufacturers have higher and lower quality mattresses in different price ranges. Peter is knowledgeable and helpful and provides good service on the phone but I don’t think that a “local” manufacturer that is outside of reasonable driving range would be the best option for most people unless they are set up to ship across the country and you are comfortable with the limited options you would have after a purchase. You would probably be better off either shopping locally or dealing with some of the members here that specialize in online purchases and shipping across the country (there is a link to these in the tutorial post) which would give you better options after a purchase if you need to fine tune or make changes to your mattress or in the worst case even return it.

You have some great options in Connecticut that would be well worth considering (see posts #2 and #4 here) that are probably more local to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix-

Good Morning.

Thanks for the links,

Looks as if I have several mattress makers in my area. Have you spoken to Columbia Mattress in Hamden, Ct? Wondering what you thoughts were regarding quality of materials, workmanship, etc.?

I am new to foam and latex mattresses.

Are sagging and impressions a problem (more so than a traditional inner spring mattress), continued off gassing and odors an issue, and do they last as long as a well constructed innerspring mattress?

Truthfully, I am confused by all of today’s options. Do you have a suggestion as to what may work best for me?
I am 5’ 10", 150lbs, early 60’s and now sleeping on a traditional inner spring mattress that is 20 years old. I toss and turn, looking for a way to get comfortable, and usually wake up in pain and discomfort,

I know this is a very open-ended question, but any advise would be most helpful!

Thanks again-
John

Hi jodebg,

Many of your questions are answered in the tutorial post … have you read it yet?

I haven’t had any detailed discussions with them but based on the information here they have some good quality materials available (although it would depend on the specific mattress you were considering because like all manufacturers they have a wide range of quality available).

An innerspring is only one type of support system in a mattress (others include polyfoam, latex, air, and water). All of these (except water in some cases) use some type of cushioning material on top of the support system (usually some type of foam or fiber) as the comfort layers. In most cases it’s the quality of the comfort materials in the mattress that is the weak link of the mattress and is the cause of softening, sagging, or impressions regardless of what type of support system the mattress contains. This is why it’s so important to make sure you know the quality of the materials and components inside a mattress so you can identify any weak links. There is more about the factors that can affect the durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to different types of people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Each type of foam has some smell when it is new and in most cases it goes away fairly quickly. If the foam has been CertiPur certified (in the case of polyfoam or memory foam) then you have some assurance that the smell isn’t harmful. All the latex you are likely to come across will have been tested to a little more stringent standards (usually Oeko-Tex but sometimes Eco-Institut) which are independent testing organizations as opposed to CertiPur which is an industry sponsored certification. Some people are still sensitive to some foam materials even when they have been certified though and there can be differences between different batches of the same foam. As a general rule (which may not apply to any specific foam or individual) latex is the least likely to cause any issues followed by polyfoam followed by memory foam.

Phoenix