Original Mattress Factory Experience

Hi opie,

[quote]We bought a OMF orthopedic mattress today, brought it home, put it on our brand new bed, and then noticed a ~3" section of stitching that the machine must have misfired on. As a result the holes around the odd stitching on the new mattress were pulling open small holes.

If we get it back and it’s like new, we’ll be on our way and try to forget this happened. But there were some strange comments made to us during the process. One of them was that we should have noticed the problem through the plastic bag before taking the mattress away. Don’t these factories have their own quality control processes? Certainly they can’t expect customers to review every stitch on the mattress to make sure their machines worked. Another comment was that the owner felt like he was going above and beyond. Is it really that much to expect for OMF mattresses to be stitched correctly? Or do most OMF mattresses have flaws like that? We were surprised to run into this kind of back and forth from a store/brand that has such high marks from Consumer Reports. [/quote]

It’s not unusual for a mattress to have some loose threads or missed stitches in the quilting and for the most part they won’t have any effect on the durability and useful life of the mattress.

It sounds like they didn’t think it was as bad as you thought it was and that they normally wouldn’t have considered it to be a defect that would affect the mattress or that needed to be repaired but I haven’t seen your mattress so I really can’t make any meaningful comments about the stitching.

In any case … I can understand your frustration but I’m glad to see that they finally agreed to repair it and I’m looking forward to an update that your issue has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Assuming that you are happy with the repairs … you certainly made a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

While I think that OMF certainly makes some good quality/value mattresses that use higher quality and more durable materials than most of their larger competitors … my criteria for assessing the quality and value of a mattress are very different from Consumer reports. You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and their “ratings” are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

Phoenix