Other Latex Options

Good Morning!
My husband and I went out mattress testing and found a mattress that felt great for us.

we are both 5’5", he is 160 I am 140. about the same size which is nice for choosing mattresses. we both have neck and back issues and our current bed is making these issues worse. He sleeps very hot and I sleep warm as well. I read through this site pretty extensively and have settled on a latex mattress. We have had seriously bad luck with beds in our time together, choosing a cheap option and having to replace it within a short period of time. We are looking for something that will last.

The mattress we have picked out that fits our comfort levels is made by NW Bedding especially for BedMart. The specs I got from the extremely knowledgeable sales rep at Bedmart is as follows:

Patrice Platinum
King Size Bed (76"x80")
“Medium” Comfort
6", 32ILD Talalay Core
2" Plush, 24 ILD, 5 zone Talalay Comfort Zone
1" 19 ILD Bioflex Soy Foam “topper”
10cell cotton cover
20 year prorated warranty with 1/4" impression limit
$2899 for just the mattress & $3299 for mattress & box spring

From the research I have done on this site and the feel of the mattress when laying on it I think this is a pretty good choice. The only thing that has been keeping me from purchasing the mattress is the price. I don’t know if I can find a better option or if I should just go with this. I have shopped around on the internet but i’m wary of buying something I haven’t actually tested out. Is there a comparable mattress out there for a more reasonable price? or am I in sticker shock?? We were told this could last at least 20 years, is this true?

I have visited a few sites listed on this website as well as places like amazon and overstock but I don’t know if I am able to find this “exact” mattress at another company.

help?

Hi smorrow,

I would agree with you that this is a good quality mattress and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the design. I also agree that there may be similar options available to you that are better value. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but unless another manufacturer uses the exact same layers and components in their mattress (which isn’t likely) then the most reliable way to know how another mattress compares in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) would be based on your own personal testing and/or experience. There are other “similar” mattresses available online (6" of Talalay latex with a 2" comfort layer with a quilted cover) but if you are considering an online purchase where you can’t compare the mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance about how a mattress may compare to the one you are considering would be a more detailed conversation on the phone with the retailer or manufacturer that sells it because they will know more about their own mattresses than anyone else and sometimes even seemingly small differences between two mattresses can make a noticeable difference in how they feel and perform for some people that are more sensitive.

Having said that … it’s also very likely that there will be other “similar” mattresses that are also a good match for you in terms of PPP even if they aren’t exactly the same since it would be very rare for there to only be one mattress that is a good match for your specific needs and preferences.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (locally and online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here.

I’m not sure where you are but if you are near Portland then the list of better options and possibilities I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and it may be well worthwhile to pay a visit to Parklane mattresses who also sell some latex mattresses that may be similar and that are in very reasonable budget range.

It’s always more realistic to think of 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress no matter what the quality of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

With higher quality materials throughout a mattress and/or for people whose needs and preferences or physical condition or body type hasn’t changed much over 10 years then “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” with higher quality/density materials like latex is much more likely than with less durable materials and it wouldn’t be uncommon for someone to sleep well on an all latex mattress for 20 years before replacing it.

Phoenix

Thank you for the advice! The Parklane is literally a few blocks from our home so we will visit there this weekend and see what they have to offer.
I know latex is an expensive material but I’m always hesitant to spend that much money on something. I don’t need to buy a “brand”, I prefer a quality product for a reasonable price. Seems like Parklane fits that mold for me.
I will update as needed on our progress.

Again thank you! sometimes all the reading in the world doesn’t exactly answer every question, I’m happy this forum exists!

Hi smorrow,

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit to Parklane. I suspect you may be pleasantly surprised at what they have available.

If you do decide to buy a mattress there make sure you let them know you are a member here so that you are eligible for the bonus they provide for the forum members.

Phoenix