Other than Ikea Holmsta what coil bed under $700/800 to topper up on?

Will do. thanks.

ah. not quite ready to go out looking again to find a PLB (i think one store in brooklyn has it) since i hit about 8 stores last time trying almost every latex bed in the city, lol, but i think if the 19 compressed too easily as Brooklyn Bedding mentioned to me and because of that I should try the 24, then the 24 was better, I am pretty sure the 15 over hell mattress will be worse for me. But I actually tried similar combos in stores, in all the latex bed stores i went into and tried their toppers over the firmest to least firm beds they had and didn’t like soft toppers over the firmest of beds, so that I already have tried and just like how i don’t like soft over what i have now, i didn’t like that soft over very firm in the stores either, which is what those PLB’s sound like, very soft over very firm. And what I did learn from trying the dozens and dozens of beds and toppers over them as well was that my fave combo was firm on bottom, medium in the middle then soft on top. But was not a fan of ultra firm with super soft right on top. Some might, def. not I.

I can say that i have tried a 19ILD tallay over hell mattress, slept on it for maybe 5 weeks? 19ILD with and without an fairly wornout 3" 3ish lbs poly foam, and with and without a kinda old 1" dunlop every diferent combo you can get with that, literally every combo that can be done, was done. And the 24ILD every which way over under inbtwn different foams, i’m on month 4 now maybe. Right now the best I can do is i have the 3" now fairly weak poly foam over the 24ILD over the 3/4" dunlop. But when i go to a mattress store and try whatever toppers they have over things that are less firm than hell mattress they are better than any combination of anything I have or have had in relation to my current mattress. So that def. takes some of the guess work out. No extra firm. Can’t be too soft, that won’t be good for alignment. I can tolerate with my topper what would be labeled as “firm” while also not being the firmest of those carrying that label. And I def do not prefer a flat tight top. If the tufting is big, then “tight” is okay, but that is the least of what i care about, just don’t like it super flat/tight which makes the bed firmer, but as long as it’s not ultra firm i’m sure whatever is fine. For the coils, i need something with give, and that’s what hell mattress and other “ultra firm”/“extra firm” mattresses don’t have much of. To push this thing down, it takes strength and effort, so no matter how many layers they write about, it is the feel of what you will find to be the most or 2nd most firm mattress in every store i’d been to, and that was quite a few. So maybe they’re just coils from hell, who knows, but that feeling of what is typed as ultra firm, is ultra bad to me and my body. lol. Whatever the difference btwn extra firm and not extra firm, that is the issue. Should I avoid a certain gauge of coil or something as well while i look for a regular firm?

I can also add that Holmsta from Ikea is the right comfort level to have a topper on top of. it is an average firm with a give when you push down on the coils (that’s the best way I can describe it and other “firms” that are acceptable).

I mean, honestly i wouldn’t mind even something less firm underneath my topper but being cognizant of alignment and being wary of too much poly, i’m thinking i should stay clear of a medium mattress if i’m going the less expensive route.

Ah, I will look into costco, they probably have full mattresses as well as toppers. My friend is a member so i’ll see what they have. Probably not much and probably everything would have poor materials but will def. look around online regarding them.

I’ll look into the coils from Dreamfoam. The really cheap one will proabably squeak like crazy though. That’s what i found at Ikea, the Hallen was the “firm” coil for $279, which with 2 of their 1.75" toppers felt okay (for sure better than the feeling of what I have going on now) while the Holmsta was the “firm” version for $549 and did not have the squeak level of the cheap one. Same for cheap coil beds in stores, when you get sub $500 it gets crazy squeaky. hoping to avoid that.

I laugh each time I read where you’ve written ‘hell mattress’. :wink: It definitely paints a clear picture and there’s no question at all in my mind what you think of it!

Hi paisley,

The reasoning behind the suggestion was that I’m not convinced you were “going through” the 19 ILD topper and feeling the firmness of the layers underneath.

Your mattress has at least 2" of soft form on top (according to the specs) and you would probably feel the firmness of the layers below this without a topper (which is why the mattress was rated as being so firm) but it would be very unusual for someone of your weight would go through a 3" 19 ILD topper to that degree with some softer foam under it which made me think that testing the Pamper which also has 2" of soft (21 ILD) foam over a very firm support layer (40 ILD) would give you a chance to test an even softer topper and see if you can feel the 40 ILD layer below it … which would surprise me … although of course anything is possible.

Of course I know that you “hate” your mattress so from that perspective alone it may be worth taking the risk of buying a mattress to use under your current topper.

Either way your own “best judgement” and your personal experience after you have purchased a mattress for under your topper will be the ultimate test.

Phoenix

I’m a little confused. Surely what’s underneath the 15 or whatever top layer makes quite a difference, right? I often see latex for example combos of 15/24/xx, 19/(24/28)/xfirm, soft/med/firm as choices by people on this site and on latex bed makers sites for people that don’t like hard beds and rarely see 19/40’s as a favorite choice by people looking for softer. So why would it be that a 15/xtra firm would work for me equally as well as a medium over regular firm, even 19/24/xtra firm (if I go solution #1 the extra topper route) seems like it would be better than 15 over xtra firm mattress, no? I can’t be the only one to feel underneath the top layer if people are buying combos of 15/24/36 or 19/24/40.

And although I wouldn’t particularly like the height of that double topper solution, more pleasant sleep is more important than height and it will just be too bad for doggy. But I don’t see a mention of anything soft in their description, they write 3/4" resistant foam, then 2" extra firm foam, then 2" of “innovative” foam (lol, secret foam).

But I have tried a super soft latex over extra firm (in a store) and didn’t like it and found it more uncomfortable than a topper or 2 over fairly firm. It’s similar to what manu’s refer to as a luxury firm, which i didn’t care for in stores when i tried it. Some people do, but i think i’m not the only one that isn’t into the super soft over super hard, which means other people can feel it too.

Just trying to figure it out as well because it help how I proceed. And if the above is true, that a person can feel a difference btwn a 15/19 over a 40 (or even more so, 15 or 19 over extra firm coil) vs. the top layer over something less firm, wouldn’t and a topper over fairly or slightly firm be more suitable/pleasant than very soft over extra firm? And if they can’t feel that, what are all the 19/24/40 type combos about? And why do those feel better to me and their purchasers?

Srry, just very confused over what you are saying, so just trying to break everything down to figure everything out. Goal being, best feeling I can attain in the budget. Happy to pay $300 (additional topper making my bed more like a 19/24/40) to have a situation that is better than any swapping choices. And also okay with the $700 (option “swap out extra firm”) if it is better than the $300 option.

And I notice you mention “risk”, what should i be wary of? Don’t want to make a $700 mistake. But don’t want to make a $300 mistake either.

Hi paisley,

All the layers of a mattress will affect all the other layers of a mattress to different degrees and body type, sleeping position, and personal preferences and sensitivities all play a role in addition to all the specs of the mattress materials (not just ILD).

The ILD of a layer is only one of many factors that affect the “feel” and performance of a mattress and layer thickness, compression modulus, point elasticity, and other factors also have a significant effect. With a 2" layer of very soft material for example you may easily feel the layers below much more than you would with 3" layer of the same material.

I don’t know the detailed specifics of your mattress or the order of the layers but it appears to have at least 2" of softer foam in the top layers and that in combination with 3" of softer latex foam in your topper would give you at least 5" of foam that would be isolating you from the firmness of the innerspring below (assuming your mattress has the softer foam on top). In most cases this would be enough to isolate someone even heavier than you from the firmness of the layers or components below the top 5" but of course each person’s body type is unique so what may work “on average” may not apply to you. Some mattresses that use the same innerspring use different types and thicknesses of foam padding on top the same innerspring to make both ultra firm and soft mattresses.

In some cases even if you put 5" of softer foam directly on the floor (which is much firmer than your mattress innerspring or any of the layers) then some people would even be isolated from the firmness of the floor depending on their body type, sleeping position, and the specifics of the foam. There is more about the specifications that work together that contribute to pressure relief in post #4 here and in post #2 here but this can get somewhat technical and it’s probably enough to know that ILD alone is only one of many factors in mattress design that affects how a mattress feels and performs for each person in terms of pressure relief, support/alignment, and the overall “feel” of the mattress.

Phoenix

Coool. Just read through those posts and this one. I will have to read through them quite thoroughly. Really interesting. Yes, i feel like if had a 5 inche of slab foam on a floor it would actually probably feel better than what i have now, lol, So there is def. something going on other than it’s extra firm foam and mystery foam over coils if that foam is supposed to make the 3" feel fine, although steel coils i suspect are harder than a wood floor. The way they write about it though it does sound like it’s 3/4" of resistant foam on top, then 2" of extra firm then 2" of mystery foam, so no idea why but even in stores it takes 2 toppers to feel good on top of an extra firm mattress while i’m there and there’s no way i’m imagining it, and there’s no way i’m imaging the 24ILD topper feeling better over this thing than the 19ILD i had in the house at the same time, so it’s got to be something. So i’ll read through those posts and try narrow down what it is, and questions and ideas for what type of mattress I should be looking for, or what kind of topper I should add on to this one.

One more question, even with whatever foam is inside my mattress over the coils, and a 3" topper on top, wouldn’t it be common that I could feel a dfference btwn what end result level of firmness is under the 3"? Otherwise wouldn’t the average slim side sleeping female not be able to tell the difference btwn a typical “luxury firm” type things and a medium/plush medium bed? I can tell the difference instantly. When i go into a store and lie down on a typical “luxury firm”, i can tell right away that’s exactly what it is. I almost can’t imagine even females built like myself saying “nope, feels the same as the last random bed”. What am i missing there.

thanks

What if i get a 2" 19 then put a 1" shredded latex topper. Actually I think i need a regular firm mattress and softer topper but then i head into $700 + 300. Maybe a 3" ILD 19 topper over my 24 over the extra firm blech mattresss and a feather bed (lol, i’m laughing cuz it’s like, the options are endless and they could be either good for bad, but as long as my alignment is safe i think almost anything other than too soft would be better than this). I gotta avoid spinal misalignment. Could going “anything softer than this while keeping alignment” be worse than this? I’m not sure what else could happen. Could a 2" 19ILD over my 24 with a featherbed on top mess up my spine?

Sadly no latex toppers at costco, so the no risk option is out.

Hi paisley,

Even the firmest springs with an insulator over them to even out the feel of the individual coils would be softer than a floor because they compress with pressure while a floor doesn’t. The quilting layer also has two 3/4" layers not just one so the thickness is 1.5" in total. This would generally be soft foam but the quilting pattern and the way that a tighter quilting pattern compresses the foam can make a quilting layer firmer than the same foam would be in an unquilted layer.

I certainly agree that there is “something going on” and it’s not your imagination but the challenge is to figure out what and this can take some trial and error and some detective work along with some mistakes. There are many things that can produce the same “symptoms” on a mattress and sometimes it’s easy to make changes in the wrong direction and make a symptom worse or replace one symptom with a different one. Unfortunately they don’t list the specifics of the layering in your mattress or the ILD so there is no way to use this to make better guesses. Individual perception is also so subjective and depends so much on how different body types and the variations in each person’s sleeping positions interact with the same mattress that any advice based on “theory at a distance” is educated guesswork or speculation at best. This is the reason why a return policy is such an important part of the “value” of a purchase when you are in an experimental mode because there is no formula that can predict which mattress/topper combination will work best for you with any certainty … especially when there are so many unknowns.

The feel of a mattress depends more on the top layers of the mattress (which are more connected to pressure relief) than the deeper layers of a mattress and the lighter you are the less you will “feel” the effect of the deeper layers. There is a point where you could put almost anything under a thick enough foam layer on top and you wouldn’t be able to feel what was underneath it. While it’s true that lighter body types will compress the layers less … it also depends on your body shape and your weight distribution as much as your weight and height. Some people for example that are side sleepers and have wider and heavier hips may have more weight in the pelvic area and they may “feel” more of the deeper layers there than they do under their shoulders which are lighter. Weight distribution and body shape along with sleeping positions (and there are dozens of sleeping position variations) are just as important as your overall height and weight.

Pressure relief and “comfort” is what you tend to feel when you first lie on a mattress and this comes mostly from the upper layers.

Support and alignment is what you tend to feel when you wake up in the morning either with or without back pain or discomfort. This is where the deeper layers can have a more significant effect.

Durability is all about how you feel on a mattress in a year or more down the road when lower quality materials have softened more rapidly.

Since your mattress is not new it’s also possible that there are soft spots in the mattress that are allowing the heavier parts of your body to sink down more than they should be and if this is the case then a topper will only be a temporary of partial “fix”. A topper does best with an even mattress surface that has no sagging or soft spots. You can read more about this in post #4 here. This is one of the most common problems with mattresses that use lower quality/density materials in the upper layers of the mattress.

You aren’t “missing” anything … it’s just that you are sensitive to whatever is the underlying cause of the symptoms you are experiencing. Some people “feel” things that others don’t. This is what I call the “princess and the pea” vs the “I can sleep on anything” scale. All of us are somewhere inside this scale. Some people with the same body type as you could put a 3" topper on top with the same ILD that you have or say a 19 ILD and it would be perfect. Others would think it was the worst combination that they had ever slept on. This is why “theory at a distance” or formulas are only based based on averages and averages don’t work for everyone.

Again … there is no way to know this. The truth is that a 3" topper in the range of 19 to 24 ILD would work for a large number of people that are in similar circumstances as you and when you aren’t inside the “averages” then it’s really a matter of trial and error.

The one thing I would confirm is that the surface of your mattress has no soft spots and is completely even because I suspect that after 5 years the odds are high that it does and this could also be part of the problem.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=26308]Hi paisley,

Even the firmest springs with an insulator over them to even out the feel of the individual coils would be softer than a floor because they compress with pressure while a floor doesn’t. The quilting layer also has two 3/4" layers not just one so the thickness is 1.5" in total. This would generally be soft foam but the quilting pattern and the way that a tighter quilting pattern compresses the foam can make a quilting layer firmer than the same foam would be in an unquilted layer.

I certainly agree that there is “something going on” and it’s not your imagination but the challenge is to figure out what and this can take some trial and error and some detective work along with some mistakes. There are many things that can produce the same “symptoms” on a mattress and sometimes it’s easy to make changes in the wrong direction and make a symptom worse or replace one symptom with a different one. Unfortunately they don’t list the specifics of the layering in your mattress or the ILD so there is no way to use this to make better guesses. Individual perception is also so subjective and depends so much on how different body types and the variations in each person’s sleeping positions interact with the same mattress that any advice based on “theory at a distance” is educated guesswork or speculation at best. This is the reason why a return policy is such an important part of the “value” of a purchase when you are in an experimental mode because there is no formula that can predict which mattress/topper combination will work best for you with any certainty … especially when there are so many unknowns.

The feel of a mattress depends more on the top layers of the mattress (which are more connected to pressure relief) than the deeper layers of a mattress and the lighter you are the less you will “feel” the effect of the deeper layers. There is a point where you could put almost anything under a thick enough foam layer on top and you wouldn’t be able to feel what was underneath it. While it’s true that lighter body types will compress the layers less … it also depends on your body shape and your weight distribution as much as your weight and height. Some people for example that are side sleepers and have wider and heavier hips may have more weight in the pelvic area and they may “feel” more of the deeper layers there than they do under their shoulders which are lighter. Weight distribution and body shape along with sleeping positions (and there are dozens of sleeping position variations) are just as important as your overall height and weight.

Pressure relief and “comfort” is what you tend to feel when you first lie on a mattress and this comes mostly from the upper layers.

Support and alignment is what you tend to feel when you wake up in the morning either with or without back pain or discomfort. This is where the deeper layers can have a more significant effect.

Durability is all about how you feel on a mattress in a year or more down the road when lower quality materials have softened more rapidly.

Since your mattress is not new it’s also possible that there are soft spots in the mattress that are allowing the heavier parts of your body to sink down more than they should be and if this is the case then a topper will only be a temporary of partial “fix”. A topper does best with an even mattress surface that has no sagging or soft spots. You can read more about this in post #4 here. This is one of the most common problems with mattresses that use lower quality/density materials in the upper layers of the mattress.

You aren’t “missing” anything … it’s just that you are sensitive to whatever is the underlying cause of the symptoms you are experiencing. Some people “feel” things that others don’t. This is what I call the “princess and the pea” vs the “I can sleep on anything” scale. All of us are somewhere inside this scale. Some people with the same body type as you could put a 3" topper on top with the same ILD that you have or say a 19 ILD and it would be perfect. Others would think it was the worst combination that they had ever slept on. This is why “theory at a distance” or formulas are only based based on averages and averages don’t work for everyone.

Again … there is no way to know this. The truth is that a 3" topper in the range of 19 to 24 ILD would work for a large number of people that are in similar circumstances as you and when you aren’t inside the “averages” then it’s really a matter of trial and error.

The one thing I would confirm is that the surface of your mattress has no soft spots and is completely even because I suspect that after 5 years the odds are high that it does and this could also be part of the problem.

Phoenix[/quote]

Awesome. Will read those technical posts through and these ones (it all makes much more sense now) and start thinking and imagining combos based on what i’ve read and based on all the testing i’ve done i have a fair amount of feeling for what different layers of different materials feel like and do with each other, so hopefully that will lead to something good.

My mattress has been a nightmare pretty much since day 1 but since it’s getting worse i’ll check for those spots that may have broken down cuz actually, sleeping in places that i usually don’t sleep in is slightly more comfortable.

Thanks so much.

Maybe you should try a slab of plywood or something else similar that could even out any soft spots on hell mattress. Then put your topper on that and see if it’s an improvement.

:O.

You’re right, it’s not that I’m going through the latex. Yesterday I was at Ikea, again looking at mattresses and they had a latex topper on sale from the floor display, so i bough it. Yeah, whatever, it was $149 vs. the $325 it usually is. I put another cover on top of that. It was the same topper I put over the Hallen to test the Hallen, which felt good. So I put my Ikea 1.68" topper over my topper on my bed. You can’t imagine, STILL NOT GOOD! Wth. I am def. not imagining things, it still feels like there is pressure anywhere i put my body (except when i lie on my stomach), hard like once I’m lying on it for more than a couple of minutes it …I dunno, whereas Hallen under latex didn’t feel bad at all. Hell mattress has got to be the reason, or my frame or something. Changing out my mattress and my frame as soon as I can. Not sure what that will do, but I want to but since I’m already changing out my matty as it is, might as well go from full to queen anyway and start all over. Crazy. I dunno. I can’t be imagining hips feeling sore after a few minutes and awful when I wake up, I can’t be. I am, what’s that word, fluxomed? and i’m pretty sure it’s not alignment issues because it’s been cuz it’s never my back and before toppers the pain was always the same but with circulation being cut off. Although now I’m starting to get into alignment with multiple toppers, lol. I’m experiencing alignment pain since my 3 and 4 toppers. Lol. And I also know what the feeling of alignment issues are like.

Is there anything that can be deduced from the fact that the only comfortable (as in soft) sleep I’ve had is when I had my 3" poly foam doubled over to 6"? Oh it felt so lovely, zero pressure AT ALL on my hips for the first time in years. But was def. an alignment hazard. And for some reason, more comfortable without a sheet, cuz my shoulders and hips sink directly in.

Yeah, I think the beam in the middle is up from the slats, but I lie to the left of it and so the beam not flush makes no difference but ya never know if that’s not part of it. but before that I did have a flat plywood situation going on, which I removed because I thought it might be part of the problem. I’ll see what changing out the frame does and hopefully can find a comfortable thing to but underneath. What is a comfortable thing to put underneath my new frame when i get it? A low foundation? Those curved bendy slats?

Hi Paisley,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here. A foundation to support the mattress is generally above a bedframe not under it (it goes right under the mattress). the type of foundation that would be best would generally depend on the type of mattress you purchase but if the mattress is a foam mattress then it’s generally best to use a firm non flexing slatted foundation or platform bed with gaps between the slats that are narrow enough to prevent the foam from sinking into the gaps over time. A foundation is meant to provide even and non flexing support under a foam mattress rather than be part of its comfort. There is more information about foundations in post #1 here and the posts it links to (in the second paragraph).

With an innerspring mattress the type of foundation or box spring recommended by the manufacturer is generally best.

Based on your feedback it seems to me that there may be soft spots in your mattress which are allowing the heavier parts of your body to sink down too far and if this is the case then any toppers above the mattress will generally just follow the soft spots underneath them (see post #4 here).

It may be worth trying your foam toppers on the floor (or on plywood over your mattress as jrc mentioned) to see what difference it makes when the toppers are on an evenly supportive surface compared to the same toppers over your mattress.

I would also keep in mind that there are several types of alignment. One is horizontal alignment of the spine so that it can maintain its natural curves but there is also rotational alignment where part of your body is twisted and there is also the natural alignment of your joints which can also create joint pain if they are resting near the edge of their normal range of flex.

Sometimes a more specific description of the type of pain or discomfort you are experiencing, the sleeping positions you tend to feel them the most, and the exact location of the pain can be a useful pointer as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=26462]Hi Paisley,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here. A foundation to support the mattress is generally above a bedframe not under it (it goes right under the mattress). the type of foundation that would be best would generally depend on the type of mattress you purchase but if the mattress is a foam mattress then it’s generally best to use a firm non flexing slatted foundation or platform bed with gaps between the slats that are narrow enough to prevent the foam from sinking into the gaps over time. A foundation is meant to provide even and non flexing support under a foam mattress rather than be part of its comfort. There is more information about foundations in post #1 here and the posts it links to (in the second paragraph).

With an innerspring mattress the type of foundation or box spring recommended by the manufacturer is generally best.

Based on your feedback it seems to me that there may be soft spots in your mattress which are allowing the heavier parts of your body to sink down too far and if this is the case then any toppers above the mattress will generally just follow the soft spots underneath them (see post #4 here).

It may be worth trying your foam toppers on the floor (or on plywood over your mattress as jrc mentioned) to see what difference it makes when the toppers are on an evenly supportive surface compared to the same toppers over your mattress.

I would also keep in mind that there are several types of alignment. One is horizontal alignment of the spine so that it can maintain its natural curves but there is also rotational alignment where part of your body is twisted and there is also the natural alignment of your joints which can also create joint pain if they are resting near the edge of their normal range of flex.

Sometimes a more specific description of the type of pain or discomfort you are experiencing, the sleeping positions you tend to feel them the most, and the exact location of the pain can be a useful pointer as well.

Phoenix[/quote]

Okay, thanks. I put them all on the floor: the 3" 24ILD latex, then the 1.68" ?ILD latex, then a sorta worn 3 inch poly on top, took a nap actually, lol, now just lying down. It feels pretty similar to them all being on the mattress, and the pain is sort of a hot pulsing pain, radiating?. Pain is hard to describe. lol. On my back in takes many a couple mins more than on my side before it starts but i feel it either way that i lay. When i lay on my side, which is how i sleep, it’s mostly the side of my thigh that presses into the bed, and then later my hip, it’ll be on whatever area is most pressing into the mattress/topper, same for on my back, it’s on my rear. I’ll sleep on the floor tonight with the toppers, cuz since it already doesn’t feel any worse, feels close to the same so far, can’t hurt any more than sleeping on the mattress (prolly).

Hi Paisley,

I would consider trying just the two latex toppers without the 3" polyfoam on top.

The pain you feel could be coming from your hips and pelvis sinking down too far into the mattress so your hips are too close to the outside of their range of motion.

When you are on your side make sure your knees are bent and if you feel any pressure try putting a pillow under your lower knee to raise your bottom leg and see if that helps.

When you are on your back try putting a pillow under your knees which can take some of the pressure off of your lumbar.

How this feels compared to your mattress/topper could provide some pointers.

Phoenix

Poly isn’t the cultprit in general, i’ve slept over a week without the poly and with just the latex. Warm-type pain both immediately, thoughout the night and upon waking.

As for last night. dear lord. way too firm, way too horrible. My back feels like someone beat it. and good chance not only too firm, but seems like my S curve didn’t get to maintain it’s shape properly, and that for sure is the poly cuz the floor situation was so uncomfortable i had to double the poly cuz after 20 mins with just the floor and the latex i couldn’t bear it anymore. Won’t be doing that again! Either way, yikes.

Maybe i should just get the Hallen mattress, a new frame and a Brooklyn Bedding cool memory foam topper. If that would bring me 2 years of good sleep i would be so happy.

Hi Paisley,

The suggestion wasn’t because it was poly but because there would be so much soft foam if you sleep directly on all three toppers. The idea was to sleep on the two layers of latex on the floor and see what the difference would be…

Phoenix

Ah, thanks. So far the dif btwn sleeping on 2 layers of latex on the mattress and 2 layers on the floor is the experience on the floor is firmer and harder and I didn’t experience anything that seemed like an advantage. Been laying on my floor + 2latex throughout the day, hard to notice much except the exactly feeling of 2 latex toppers on a hard floor. The discomfort feels similar, hard to tell exactly at this point cuz after a while it sort of all gets to you, but to me, it feels i guess the same but harder? Only difference i feel is it’s more…sort of, well, like your on a floor, a little dead, whereas the coils on my mattress feel, thick strong coils holding you up, almost pushing. gosh, it is so hard to describe this stuff. :frowning:

I think i give up. I’m miserable and in pain. What does a 3" 4lb memory foam topper feel like? Will i get stuck? Or that sinking in the sand feeling?

While i’d love to find something to emulate the feeling of that poor foam in typical mattresses, i don’t thnk that’s a possibility, i’m thinking of getting a 2" or 3" 4lb cool memory foam from Brooklyn Bedding, what does that feeling like? Is it soft enough without much body temperature? 3lbs is too soft i think i read, right? that it isn’t good for alignment or something? or not enough pressure relief?

Would a 2" or 3" cool mem foam topper over a 3" medium latex over rating firm spring bed be a fair an okay combo for someone like myself? Maybe it won’t work but i’m desperate. I’ll get either a holmstra mattress or a hallen, and pray. I really can’t think of anything else to do. Obviously a firmer mattress is not good, and obviously a soft mattress is not good, Hallen is “firm”, actually, probably too firm, so might go with the holmstra even though if it fails after 1 year it would have been very expensive. Just not sure what else to do and i can’t go through too much more of this. That 2 latex toppers over the floor was an experience i cannot take again so going through a whole night of that is not an option, it’s unbearable as is this mattress. And lugging and tugging these 30lb latex toppers on and off the bed is just pulling my muscles more, i’ve put them bacck on the bed and i just can’t attempt it again. tears

i’ll trying lying on a comforter or bunching up some clothes underneath me so that my spine can be in an approprite position. Neither the matress nor the latex conforms to be and fills in the areas that need to be curved, and body parts don’t seem to sink in iehter, so hopefully clothes and other stuff will help.

At this point, it may be best to lug your toppers to a chiropractor or contact someone like Dr. Rick Swartzburg of selectabed.

that wasn’t a knock on the suggestion, it was the right thing to do, it’s just to say i can’t attempt it again.