Other than Ikea Holmsta what coil bed under $700/800 to topper up on?

[quote=“Phoenix” post=26308]Hi paisley,

Even the firmest springs with an insulator over them to even out the feel of the individual coils would be softer than a floor because they compress with pressure while a floor doesn’t. The quilting layer also has two 3/4" layers not just one so the thickness is 1.5" in total. This would generally be soft foam but the quilting pattern and the way that a tighter quilting pattern compresses the foam can make a quilting layer firmer than the same foam would be in an unquilted layer.

I certainly agree that there is “something going on” and it’s not your imagination but the challenge is to figure out what and this can take some trial and error and some detective work along with some mistakes. There are many things that can produce the same “symptoms” on a mattress and sometimes it’s easy to make changes in the wrong direction and make a symptom worse or replace one symptom with a different one. Unfortunately they don’t list the specifics of the layering in your mattress or the ILD so there is no way to use this to make better guesses. Individual perception is also so subjective and depends so much on how different body types and the variations in each person’s sleeping positions interact with the same mattress that any advice based on “theory at a distance” is educated guesswork or speculation at best. This is the reason why a return policy is such an important part of the “value” of a purchase when you are in an experimental mode because there is no formula that can predict which mattress/topper combination will work best for you with any certainty … especially when there are so many unknowns.

The feel of a mattress depends more on the top layers of the mattress (which are more connected to pressure relief) than the deeper layers of a mattress and the lighter you are the less you will “feel” the effect of the deeper layers. There is a point where you could put almost anything under a thick enough foam layer on top and you wouldn’t be able to feel what was underneath it. While it’s true that lighter body types will compress the layers less … it also depends on your body shape and your weight distribution as much as your weight and height. Some people for example that are side sleepers and have wider and heavier hips may have more weight in the pelvic area and they may “feel” more of the deeper layers there than they do under their shoulders which are lighter. Weight distribution and body shape along with sleeping positions (and there are dozens of sleeping position variations) are just as important as your overall height and weight.

Pressure relief and “comfort” is what you tend to feel when you first lie on a mattress and this comes mostly from the upper layers.

Support and alignment is what you tend to feel when you wake up in the morning either with or without back pain or discomfort. This is where the deeper layers can have a more significant effect.

Durability is all about how you feel on a mattress in a year or more down the road when lower quality materials have softened more rapidly.

Since your mattress is not new it’s also possible that there are soft spots in the mattress that are allowing the heavier parts of your body to sink down more than they should be and if this is the case then a topper will only be a temporary of partial “fix”. A topper does best with an even mattress surface that has no sagging or soft spots. You can read more about this in post #4 here. This is one of the most common problems with mattresses that use lower quality/density materials in the upper layers of the mattress.

You aren’t “missing” anything … it’s just that you are sensitive to whatever is the underlying cause of the symptoms you are experiencing. Some people “feel” things that others don’t. This is what I call the “princess and the pea” vs the “I can sleep on anything” scale. All of us are somewhere inside this scale. Some people with the same body type as you could put a 3" topper on top with the same ILD that you have or say a 19 ILD and it would be perfect. Others would think it was the worst combination that they had ever slept on. This is why “theory at a distance” or formulas are only based based on averages and averages don’t work for everyone.

Again … there is no way to know this. The truth is that a 3" topper in the range of 19 to 24 ILD would work for a large number of people that are in similar circumstances as you and when you aren’t inside the “averages” then it’s really a matter of trial and error.

The one thing I would confirm is that the surface of your mattress has no soft spots and is completely even because I suspect that after 5 years the odds are high that it does and this could also be part of the problem.

Phoenix[/quote]

Awesome. Will read those technical posts through and these ones (it all makes much more sense now) and start thinking and imagining combos based on what i’ve read and based on all the testing i’ve done i have a fair amount of feeling for what different layers of different materials feel like and do with each other, so hopefully that will lead to something good.

My mattress has been a nightmare pretty much since day 1 but since it’s getting worse i’ll check for those spots that may have broken down cuz actually, sleeping in places that i usually don’t sleep in is slightly more comfortable.

Thanks so much.

Maybe you should try a slab of plywood or something else similar that could even out any soft spots on hell mattress. Then put your topper on that and see if it’s an improvement.

:O.

You’re right, it’s not that I’m going through the latex. Yesterday I was at Ikea, again looking at mattresses and they had a latex topper on sale from the floor display, so i bough it. Yeah, whatever, it was $149 vs. the $325 it usually is. I put another cover on top of that. It was the same topper I put over the Hallen to test the Hallen, which felt good. So I put my Ikea 1.68" topper over my topper on my bed. You can’t imagine, STILL NOT GOOD! Wth. I am def. not imagining things, it still feels like there is pressure anywhere i put my body (except when i lie on my stomach), hard like once I’m lying on it for more than a couple of minutes it …I dunno, whereas Hallen under latex didn’t feel bad at all. Hell mattress has got to be the reason, or my frame or something. Changing out my mattress and my frame as soon as I can. Not sure what that will do, but I want to but since I’m already changing out my matty as it is, might as well go from full to queen anyway and start all over. Crazy. I dunno. I can’t be imagining hips feeling sore after a few minutes and awful when I wake up, I can’t be. I am, what’s that word, fluxomed? and i’m pretty sure it’s not alignment issues because it’s been cuz it’s never my back and before toppers the pain was always the same but with circulation being cut off. Although now I’m starting to get into alignment with multiple toppers, lol. I’m experiencing alignment pain since my 3 and 4 toppers. Lol. And I also know what the feeling of alignment issues are like.

Is there anything that can be deduced from the fact that the only comfortable (as in soft) sleep I’ve had is when I had my 3" poly foam doubled over to 6"? Oh it felt so lovely, zero pressure AT ALL on my hips for the first time in years. But was def. an alignment hazard. And for some reason, more comfortable without a sheet, cuz my shoulders and hips sink directly in.

Yeah, I think the beam in the middle is up from the slats, but I lie to the left of it and so the beam not flush makes no difference but ya never know if that’s not part of it. but before that I did have a flat plywood situation going on, which I removed because I thought it might be part of the problem. I’ll see what changing out the frame does and hopefully can find a comfortable thing to but underneath. What is a comfortable thing to put underneath my new frame when i get it? A low foundation? Those curved bendy slats?

Hi Paisley,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here. A foundation to support the mattress is generally above a bedframe not under it (it goes right under the mattress). the type of foundation that would be best would generally depend on the type of mattress you purchase but if the mattress is a foam mattress then it’s generally best to use a firm non flexing slatted foundation or platform bed with gaps between the slats that are narrow enough to prevent the foam from sinking into the gaps over time. A foundation is meant to provide even and non flexing support under a foam mattress rather than be part of its comfort. There is more information about foundations in post #1 here and the posts it links to (in the second paragraph).

With an innerspring mattress the type of foundation or box spring recommended by the manufacturer is generally best.

Based on your feedback it seems to me that there may be soft spots in your mattress which are allowing the heavier parts of your body to sink down too far and if this is the case then any toppers above the mattress will generally just follow the soft spots underneath them (see post #4 here).

It may be worth trying your foam toppers on the floor (or on plywood over your mattress as jrc mentioned) to see what difference it makes when the toppers are on an evenly supportive surface compared to the same toppers over your mattress.

I would also keep in mind that there are several types of alignment. One is horizontal alignment of the spine so that it can maintain its natural curves but there is also rotational alignment where part of your body is twisted and there is also the natural alignment of your joints which can also create joint pain if they are resting near the edge of their normal range of flex.

Sometimes a more specific description of the type of pain or discomfort you are experiencing, the sleeping positions you tend to feel them the most, and the exact location of the pain can be a useful pointer as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=26462]Hi Paisley,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here. A foundation to support the mattress is generally above a bedframe not under it (it goes right under the mattress). the type of foundation that would be best would generally depend on the type of mattress you purchase but if the mattress is a foam mattress then it’s generally best to use a firm non flexing slatted foundation or platform bed with gaps between the slats that are narrow enough to prevent the foam from sinking into the gaps over time. A foundation is meant to provide even and non flexing support under a foam mattress rather than be part of its comfort. There is more information about foundations in post #1 here and the posts it links to (in the second paragraph).

With an innerspring mattress the type of foundation or box spring recommended by the manufacturer is generally best.

Based on your feedback it seems to me that there may be soft spots in your mattress which are allowing the heavier parts of your body to sink down too far and if this is the case then any toppers above the mattress will generally just follow the soft spots underneath them (see post #4 here).

It may be worth trying your foam toppers on the floor (or on plywood over your mattress as jrc mentioned) to see what difference it makes when the toppers are on an evenly supportive surface compared to the same toppers over your mattress.

I would also keep in mind that there are several types of alignment. One is horizontal alignment of the spine so that it can maintain its natural curves but there is also rotational alignment where part of your body is twisted and there is also the natural alignment of your joints which can also create joint pain if they are resting near the edge of their normal range of flex.

Sometimes a more specific description of the type of pain or discomfort you are experiencing, the sleeping positions you tend to feel them the most, and the exact location of the pain can be a useful pointer as well.

Phoenix[/quote]

Okay, thanks. I put them all on the floor: the 3" 24ILD latex, then the 1.68" ?ILD latex, then a sorta worn 3 inch poly on top, took a nap actually, lol, now just lying down. It feels pretty similar to them all being on the mattress, and the pain is sort of a hot pulsing pain, radiating?. Pain is hard to describe. lol. On my back in takes many a couple mins more than on my side before it starts but i feel it either way that i lay. When i lay on my side, which is how i sleep, it’s mostly the side of my thigh that presses into the bed, and then later my hip, it’ll be on whatever area is most pressing into the mattress/topper, same for on my back, it’s on my rear. I’ll sleep on the floor tonight with the toppers, cuz since it already doesn’t feel any worse, feels close to the same so far, can’t hurt any more than sleeping on the mattress (prolly).

Hi Paisley,

I would consider trying just the two latex toppers without the 3" polyfoam on top.

The pain you feel could be coming from your hips and pelvis sinking down too far into the mattress so your hips are too close to the outside of their range of motion.

When you are on your side make sure your knees are bent and if you feel any pressure try putting a pillow under your lower knee to raise your bottom leg and see if that helps.

When you are on your back try putting a pillow under your knees which can take some of the pressure off of your lumbar.

How this feels compared to your mattress/topper could provide some pointers.

Phoenix

Poly isn’t the cultprit in general, i’ve slept over a week without the poly and with just the latex. Warm-type pain both immediately, thoughout the night and upon waking.

As for last night. dear lord. way too firm, way too horrible. My back feels like someone beat it. and good chance not only too firm, but seems like my S curve didn’t get to maintain it’s shape properly, and that for sure is the poly cuz the floor situation was so uncomfortable i had to double the poly cuz after 20 mins with just the floor and the latex i couldn’t bear it anymore. Won’t be doing that again! Either way, yikes.

Maybe i should just get the Hallen mattress, a new frame and a Brooklyn Bedding cool memory foam topper. If that would bring me 2 years of good sleep i would be so happy.

Hi Paisley,

The suggestion wasn’t because it was poly but because there would be so much soft foam if you sleep directly on all three toppers. The idea was to sleep on the two layers of latex on the floor and see what the difference would be…

Phoenix

Ah, thanks. So far the dif btwn sleeping on 2 layers of latex on the mattress and 2 layers on the floor is the experience on the floor is firmer and harder and I didn’t experience anything that seemed like an advantage. Been laying on my floor + 2latex throughout the day, hard to notice much except the exactly feeling of 2 latex toppers on a hard floor. The discomfort feels similar, hard to tell exactly at this point cuz after a while it sort of all gets to you, but to me, it feels i guess the same but harder? Only difference i feel is it’s more…sort of, well, like your on a floor, a little dead, whereas the coils on my mattress feel, thick strong coils holding you up, almost pushing. gosh, it is so hard to describe this stuff. :frowning:

I think i give up. I’m miserable and in pain. What does a 3" 4lb memory foam topper feel like? Will i get stuck? Or that sinking in the sand feeling?

While i’d love to find something to emulate the feeling of that poor foam in typical mattresses, i don’t thnk that’s a possibility, i’m thinking of getting a 2" or 3" 4lb cool memory foam from Brooklyn Bedding, what does that feeling like? Is it soft enough without much body temperature? 3lbs is too soft i think i read, right? that it isn’t good for alignment or something? or not enough pressure relief?

Would a 2" or 3" cool mem foam topper over a 3" medium latex over rating firm spring bed be a fair an okay combo for someone like myself? Maybe it won’t work but i’m desperate. I’ll get either a holmstra mattress or a hallen, and pray. I really can’t think of anything else to do. Obviously a firmer mattress is not good, and obviously a soft mattress is not good, Hallen is “firm”, actually, probably too firm, so might go with the holmstra even though if it fails after 1 year it would have been very expensive. Just not sure what else to do and i can’t go through too much more of this. That 2 latex toppers over the floor was an experience i cannot take again so going through a whole night of that is not an option, it’s unbearable as is this mattress. And lugging and tugging these 30lb latex toppers on and off the bed is just pulling my muscles more, i’ve put them bacck on the bed and i just can’t attempt it again. tears

i’ll trying lying on a comforter or bunching up some clothes underneath me so that my spine can be in an approprite position. Neither the matress nor the latex conforms to be and fills in the areas that need to be curved, and body parts don’t seem to sink in iehter, so hopefully clothes and other stuff will help.

At this point, it may be best to lug your toppers to a chiropractor or contact someone like Dr. Rick Swartzburg of selectabed.

that wasn’t a knock on the suggestion, it was the right thing to do, it’s just to say i can’t attempt it again.

Hi paisley,

I certainly understand how difficult it can be in some cases to find some kind of ideal combination that works for you.

“Feel” is subjective and you will get different answers from different people about how any combination “feels” depending on the specifics of the underlying mattress, the type of 4 lb memory foam (there are many different types of 4 lb memory foam), your body type, variations in your sleeping position, your unique physiology, your perceptions, and your preferences. Some people are also much more sensitive to variations in a sleeping system than others. The only way to know for certain what any combination of materials “feels” like with any certainty is with your own personal experience.

When you are trying to make changes to a mattress then it’s normally better to make small incremental changes at a time and it usually needs some trial and error, some detective work, some analysis of each combination, and real patience and persistence to identify the underlying causes of your discomfort or pain and the combinations or the “directions” of change that may work best for you … particularly when your experience is outside of the norm for some reason. If you take a step by step and incremental approach then each “wrong” combination can provide more information and help you come closer to identifying the “right” combination.

Comparing each combination to the one before and identifying as specifically as possible how it’s different from the last can help “point the way” to the type of combinations that may work best for you. When you are comparing two combinations then “how” they are different and which one is better or worse than the other and why can provide some useful clues much more than just knowing that two combinations either did or didn’t work. The key is in understanding how and why each combination is different from the last

Phoenix

Is there anything i can deduce from 2 latex over the hardwood floor being not soft enough? i feel like i have tried every combination of what i have and have no idea of what change to make next. So far the only thing i know it means for sure is that for sure i am one of those people who can feel i am lying on a floor when on two toppers. I also feel the type of coils i have are pretty strong, maybe agreesive since the floor felts flat and dead compared to the mattress. it also tells me i can’t have an extra firm mattress since i am one of those people. I know i can’t get a soft coil mattress cuz it hurts alighment and also will break down. So i felt the middle was firm, but i have no idea if that is what should be taken from the knowledge that yes, indeed i can feel a floor through 2 latex toppers, and yes, it feels uncomfortable and too firm. I don’t know if it means i would have better luck with a more sinky topper OR different mattress.

Hi paisley,

The “key” to assessing each combination is to first make sure you have slept on each combination for long enough to predict your longer term experience (sometimes a night or two can be an anomaly) and to compare it to the previous combinations you have tried to identify exactly how and why each combination is better or worse than another combination in very specific terms. This means that identifying the relative changes in your “symptoms” and identifying which of two combinations is better or worse in terms of pressure relief and alignment in each of your sleeping positions can provide more clues than just knowing that two combinations “don’t work”. It’s also helpful to know as many specifics of all the layers you are sleeping on as possible because the more unknowns there are the more difficult it is to identify the “why” behind your experience.

It’s sometimes the more subtle differences between two combinations that can provide the clues.

Did you try the two latex toppers on the floor with the pillow suggestions I made?

Phoenix

I think unfortunately for me, sleeping 2 more nights on a floor with the 2 latex isn’t an option b/c of the pain it gives me to sleep so firmly. Even after 20 minutes last on 2 latex the night before i put the poly was only because i couldn’t do it anymore. I really didn’t want to add it in because i know everything should be a little at a time, i even just tried to do 1 latex, but after a while, there was just no way.

I didn’t do the pillow thing because by the time i read it as put it under the lower leg i already put the latex toppers back on the bed. I often sleep with a pillow BTWN my knees cuz that’s more comfy. I’ll try under the lower knee btwn the mattress on the lower leg tonight, but it’s gonna be on the mattress because i physically cannot do that floor + latex. The good news after that floor experience i have a new appreciation for the “comfort” layers in my current extra firm mattress.

Please explain.

On the wood floor it’s a totally flat surface, so it’s smart thing to test to see if it’s a matter of softspots/breakdown on my mattress, or to check if weak spots are part of the issue. Unfortunately that experience (latex toppers on the floor) is quite painful so it’s not something i can attempt again.

[quote]jrc wrote:
At this point, it may be best to lug your toppers to a chiropractor or contact someone like Dr. Rick Swartzburg of selectabed.

paisley wrote:
that wasn’t a knock on the suggestion, it was the right thing to do, it’s just to say i can’t attempt it again.[/quote]

It appeared you were stating you could not go to a chiropractor or contact some other doctor again. I was curious why not.