Other than Ikea Holmsta what coil bed under $700/800 to topper up on?

oh, haha. No, i thought you were being a little factitious when you said lug your mattress to a chiropractor. No, i don’t need a chiropractor, i need a different mattress. I sleep great on other beds and like what I feel in stores so lucky for me, it’s the mattress not my body.

I am now sure what I need is less firm mattress (firm at most, instead of ultra firm)…something less hard underneath. Once that’s done it’ll feel more comfortable and then I won’t need a zillion toppers just to feel somewhat decent, I have to use 3 toppers with extra firm and it still feels to firm, just like the floor, so a less than extra firm mattress and fewer toppers will give me both support and comfort. And in addition to the less firm mattress I need less (resistant?) topper so a 24 talay isn’t the right thing close to the top, has to be super soft on top of less firm or much less firm mattress. Supersoft over superhard, is so not for me. And medium firm latex over extra hard ain’t it either. So now I’ll be able to come up with an appropriate mix. Working it out, should know in a couple of days the right thing. I also have a ¾" convoluted dunlop topper I like the feel of, I can go down into it.

Very excited. Last nights sleep felt amazing. The 3" polyfoam on top, (i really like poly, perfect type of comfort foam for me) with a thick duvet cover layered under it (which sort of evened out my good type of sinking and gave a snug feeling), both over the new the ikea 1.5" dunlop topper which has a thick cover. I had to put all that over my 3" 24ILD talay, and all that is affected my alignment obviously, but needed just the extra layer over the extra firm mattress in order to finally lie down and think ‘ahh, normal bedtime feeling’. That obviously is too much, I almost feel like putting a firm little bit of board under the hip area over the 24 talay, but a less firm mattress and then a removal of a topper might be what I need and a little tweaking in that combo. That tweaking I’ll figure out over the next couple of days and as soon as I have a little more time and choose a frame then I can order my mattress at the same time to save on shipping.

Oh my goodness the last 2 nights are the most comfortable sleep I’ve had with my mattress pretty much yet (it has been uncomfortable and painful since day 1,), even though i have to sleep on my back) And once I get the less firm mattress (it’ll actually have only an inch comfort layer, lol, but still be somehow less firm than my extra firm with it’s 4" of “comfort”.) and choose my combo 2 of the 4 toppers I currently own, I should be good. Going to order the Ikea Hallen. Yes it is actually really firm, but from what I experienced in the store of just the Hallen and the 1.5" ikea topper, I think I will be better off because that combo was better than what I have going on at home. A little nervous because from what I’ve read it’s firmer when it arrives than it is in the store, but I’ll go to ikea one more time and re-look at all my options. The Holmsta was better than the Hallen, but at $300 more, and since I already have plenty of latex, no need for it.

And Pheonix, I tried the item under the lower leg, that night I liked that as well. Once I get my new mattress and choose my topper combo I’ll keep that in mind and utilize that experiment in my tweaking and see what I come up with.

JCR: I liked the link of those beds you posted. Foam but not memory foam iirc. If I do all-foam, that is something I would do. But this will do for now because he’s not in nyc and I have already layers to use and the Hallen which worked just fine in the store. Fingers crossed. : ). Just have to check again in the store and also check which slats they had underneath, bendy or pine.

Anyway, there’s my long discovery and solution, although not quite finished b/c I don’t have the mattress in my house nor chosen how to layer on it, but it is definitely based on my needs, testing, options, a better equation already : )!. Hopefully I don’t have to get a different type/spec of topper once I get the mattress, but I don’t think so, my 4 options cover the gambit, thick, thin, latex, poly, different coverings, etc, lol, I think I should be good. Kinda wish I had a thinner poly, like 1.5"-2", but I bet I come up with a great combo with what I have. Looking forward to it. Hopefully get it together to order this weekend.

Hi paisley,

That’s great news … so far so good :slight_smile:

Phoenix