Our Spindle mattress purchase & some foundation questions.

Hi HoosierDaddy,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed feedback about Spindle Mattress. As they mentioned they will very soon be listed as an “official” member here and I believe they certainly have some great quality and value.

Yes … this can extend the life of the layers. You can also re-arrange the layers if they are all the same firmness (reverse the order) because the top layers of a mattress will soften faster than the deeper layers.

3x3" layers provides more layering and design choices than having only two layers because you can re-arrange or exchange layers in more ways. For some people who are more sensitive or may need more fine tuning with their mattress it can add value to the mattress purchase that is worth any additional complexity or cost vs a similar two layered mattress. You can read more about the potential benefits of having more layers in post #2 here.

As you mentioned … Spindle itself is quite new but they have some deep roots in the industry. I normally wouldn’t consider a new company for membership here but I don’t consider them to be “new” because of their connection to Sleepmaster/WJ Southard and their many years of experience in manufacturing mattresses. They are clearly “mattress people”.

You are right that all latex … including synthetic … is a durable material but natural latex is more elastic and is a higher performance (and more costly) material than synthetic latex has and IMO would likely have an edge in both peformance and durability. Although the testing done by mountaintop foam which makes the latex doesn’t show any significant difference between them … testing and real life don’t always agree so I’m still a little skeptical although I do agree that synthetic latex is still a good quality material. I think that the firmest versions of synthetic latex (firmer than the C3 which is the firmest layer they use) would certainly be less durable and more prone to impressions than their equivalent in natural latex. You can read more about some of the differences between natural and synthetic latex in post #2 here. Unless a limited budget was the most important factor … I would choose natural over synthetic with Dunlop.

The foundation thread here has several KD foundations that have gaps less than 3" and would be suitable for a latex mattress and I haven’t heard any negative feedback about squeeking (which can usually be fixed anyway).

No … a fabric cover isn’t an issue if its breathable and can also be a benefit because it can protect the mattress from any splinters or sharp edges from the slats. It can also enhance the appearance of the foundation as a side benefit.

This is probably because the majority of foam mattresses use polyfoam as the base layer and not latex so they are made to be suitable for the majority of mattresses they are used with at the lowest possible cost. I don’t see any reason that you can’t replace or add to the slats if you secure them to the foundation (although I would probably just buy a slat KD foundation that already had appropriate slats).

I don’t see any problem in doing this and most king size foundations are a split twin anyway that fit together into the bedframe (they don’t make king size wood foundations because they are too big to move around corners or up stairs).

Thanks again for the feedback and most of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix