Outer Layer Cover Worth 50% Price Increase?

First, thanks so much for putting together all of this great information. My Wife and I felt so much more informed after taking the time to study prior to visiting stores today.

We narrowed it down to two Pocketed Coil “seemingly” similar mattresses at Urban Mattress, with a large price difference, and would love feedback.

Option # 1 Silver Lake Plush - $2,100.00 w/ box
https://urbanmattress.com/product/silver-lake-plush-mattress/#product-specs

“The quilted knit cover and layers of high-quality natural latex and quilt foam between you and the rest of the bed gives the Silver Lake Plush mattress a deeply comfortable feel and pressure-relief qualities.
Support Layer Pocketed Coil
Comfort Layer Latex
Construction 8″ 1057-count Quantum Edge Pocketed Coil, 2″ Firm Latex and two, 1.5″ 2.1 lb Quilt Foam layers
Origin Made and assembled in the United States by Urban Mattress.
Great For Back Sleeper, Stomach Sleeper
Cover Quilted Knit
Feel Soft”

Option 2 Dahlia by Bloom - $2,900.00 w/ box
“A natural, cool-sleeping cover. Heat dissipation with a natural wool layer. High-density natural latex. Premium quality construction, and a price to fit every budget, the 10-year, no-sag guarantee and free delivery will keep you extremely happy for years to come.
Support Layer Pocketed Coil
Comfort Layer Latex
Construction 8” 1057-count Quantum Edge Pocketed Coil, 2" of 28 ILD Latex, One 0.4" Layer of Natural Latex and One 1.5" Layer of 2 LB Natural Foam
Origin Made and assembled in the United States by Urban Mattress.
Great For Back Sleeper, Side Sleeper, Stomach Sleeper
Cover Bamboo
Feel Medium"

I am a back sleeper, my wife is mostly a side sleeper (who is trying to learn to be a back sleeper). The construction appears similar aside from outer layer. Sales person also mentioned wool fire retardant for the Dahlia.

We spent a good amount of mattress time on both and both feel good. Temperature is important to me ( i sleep with cool pillow pads) but i am not sure if the bamboo cover v. polyester cover warrants the price difference, unless i am missing something with regard to other differences? Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Advocate,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Both of the Urban Mattress mattresses you mentioned seem to use good quality materials, but I have a question about the complete specifications of the Dahlia which you’d want to confirm with Urban Mattress.

The Dahlia is listed as having 2" of 28 ILD laters, then a thin .4" of latex, then a 1.5" layer of 2 lb “natural” foam. There is not polyfoam that is “natural”, so you’d want to confirm exactly what that layer is, and how it differs from the quilt foam in the Silver Lake. Also, you’d want to confirm what is quilted to the covering in the Dahlia (if it is just wool or if there is some other unlisted foam). There may also be a difference in the natural of the latex used in each mattress – the Dahlia is listed as a more “natural” item, so you’d want to find out if all of the latex used is natural or blended for sake of cost comparison. The Dahlia is also rated as just a bit more plush than the Silver Lake Plush, but your own personal testing would be the most reliable indicator of your comfort preference here.

Regarding the covering, bamboo just means that some of the fiber used in the cover of the mattress uses bamboo as the precursor for the viscose-dope used to create that fiber. Bamboo does have a softer hand.

Wool is one of the best temperature-regulating materials, and it does offer a unique comfort layer, and it is also good at humidity temperature regulation. There is a bit more about some of the items that can impact your sleeping temperature in this post that you may also find interesting.

Overall, the addition of the wool and the bamboo covering can add to the cost of one mattress versus another, but I would also want to get more complete information about all of the comfort layers in the Dahlia in order to make a more objective comparison between the two items.

Once you have that information, feel free to post it back here and I’ll be happy to comment further upon it for you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks - happy to be here! And thanks again for your time and attention to detail. I can’t say how fortunate I feel to have found your website and to not only be able to educate myself and correspond with you, but also to have called the phone number of one of your recommended providers and have one of the designers of the mattresses pick up.

First, the designer agreed with you that the word “natural” to describe the foam in the Dahlia was incorrect and stated he would have that word updated from the website. He indicated that the foam was Serta Pure Foam rated at 2.1 lbs. The Dahlia has 1.5 inches of this foam as a comfort layer versus 3 inches for the Silver Lake.

Also, confirming that quilting with Dahlia contains .5 inches of untreated wool (imported from Turkey @ $42.00 a yard v. 8 dollars a yard for the Silver Lake).

Finally for the latex differences, Dahlia is 100% natural latex and Silverlake is a blended Talalay.

In writing this, I am understanding the price difference a lot more. Any additional feedback from you would, of course, be appreciated.

Hi Advocate,

I’m glad that you were able to confirm the differences in the two products and have a better understanding of (some) of the reasoning for the price difference between these two items.

I think that you meant CertiPUR-US certified foam (not Serta Pure Foam – I know it sounds exactly the same, right?). This would be a polyfoam. CertiPUR-US is a testing standard for some harmful substances and VOCs.

Besides the transportation costs, the wool from Turkey could be a different breed, which could also increase the cost. A less expensive wool can still be a good quality item, although I didn’t even see wool listed as an ingredient in the Silver Lake Plush on their web site. Was it mentioned to you if the wool in that mattress had anything else blended with it, or if it was only wool?

If both mattresses are using Talalay, the natural Talalay would be more expensive, although both are good quality materials.

Overall, both products use good quality and durable materials. And some of the price difference is definitely geared toward a client for whom “natural” is a bit more important, but only you can make that determination as to the level of importance that carries for you personally.

Phoenix

I visited an Urban Mattress store here in Vienna, VA today and my original analysis based on my education here is that I would go with the Bloom line, but was leaning towards the “firm” option (the Iris) because a few years ago I was presented with a medical opportunity to have back surgery and instead visited with a Chiropractor who pretty much resolved my issues- but he said I needed a firm mattress. Today in the store the salesperson (without me saying anything) took me to the Silver Lake Firm and I liked it. He then took me to the Iris (which from the above you see was my preference) and I liked it much better because it seemed cooler. He then took me back to the Silver Lake- this time the Plush model, and I felt like I could also go with that option. He then did the same with the Bloom model- the Iris and then the Dahlia (which is not so firm) and I liked both of those. I have had pillow top Posturepedic mattresses of which 4 I have purchased in over the last 20 years- and decided this was a point of failure and didn’t want another pillow top. The Silver Lake is much like a pillow top because of the amount of tufting. The firmer one had more than the less firm, but I think my original feeling that the Bloom line is for me was confirmed. However, I have a second person who needs to feel the mattress, and I feel like he likes less firm- but I think in the end we will go with the Dahlia. BTW, I am 125 lbs and the other person is 160- so fairly light. Also, the Dahlia with the base is $2150- so maybe you should check the pricing again- this spot between $1500-$2000 was my sweet spot for budget.
I really liked the store and am happy to finally be closer to the decision.

Hi ldordal,

I’m glad you’re moving closer to a decision on your mattress! Thank you for your update. And BTW, I believe Advocate was looking at a king mattress, not a queen.

Phoenix