Overthinking mattress decision help

Hello!

I’m currently shopping for a new mattress, and I’m getting overwhelmed by the situation.

First of all, I’m 6’2" and around 155lbs (BMI 19.5), my partner is in the same proportions, in our early 30s. I’m a side sleeper (mostly out of habit because of GERD/acid reflux) and she is a “combo”, as in really strange positions and quite some movement, although that’s not a problem for me (maybe our current mattress is good at preventing movement transfer). I have scoliosis and regular back pain, and have a lot of trouble falling and staying asleep, which leads to bad quality of life overall (tired, headaches, lacking energy, etc.). This started about the same time as when I started sleeping on our current mattress and grew over time, but only realized recently.

We are in need of a new mattress, and we started searching for info and trying out some products at a local store. The first thing we realized is that our current mattress is way too firm.

In the good news section, we were aligned on what our favorite products were, and which we didn’t like. Among the good ones were the Mat-Tech Excellencce Extase 3.0 (pre-compressed pocket coils + memory foam) from Matelas René and the Moonlight Capella 2.0 (all foam) from Zedbed. They are two local companies from QC, Canada. They are both priced 2500+ CAD (not even including tax or anything). We were also presented a 6000$ excellent product. My feeling is that we were shown that one first to make us feel like the others are “good deals”. At least they have 20y warranty on them. The sales guy was also very pushy with the “you’re in luck, they’re always backordered but by some miracle we have everything you like available right now”, but we weren’t having any of that.

What we liked: these were medium-soft, and provided good support while feeling “cuddled”. Nice pressure relief for joints too (hips and shoulders). Other products we eliminated had various issues like poor edge support (mostly American brands on display), too firm (e.g. Tempur-Pedic), memory foam that wouldn’t “reset” fast enough, and all-latex 3-layer mattresses that were overall making us feel like on a rocking boat.

Now, my instinct is telling me that this shouldn’t be costing as much, and that these stores are bumping their margins like crazy. Even with some negotiation (if that’s still possible), we won’t fall into something that makes sense, but we might have to give in due to a lack of options. Most stores carry different models for same manufacturers, making it purposefully extremely difficult to compare products and getting “price match” options, diminishing bargaining power.

I’m not a big fan of boxed mattresses you can order online (Casper, Endy, S&S, etc.) because you can’t try them and they all look like they’re too firm, and the rare models who aren’t are overcomplicated (funky technology names and such) and quite pricey, which would make us go back to the brick-and-mortar shop. It feels like we’d be settling for “ok” when we’re looking for good or great.

So the first set of questions would be more general advice: what other criteria should we be focusing on? Considering my specific situation, would you have any recommendations as to materials?

Then, I started looking at the MFC Presto Classic customizable mattress. I really like the idea, but I’m not sure about a few things: how’s the edge support on it? What would the best configuration be for our situation? Would the layers cause an issue with rocking/bounciness/stability? The no-return part is also a concern. An advantage is there are good chances it can get here in time for our needs (thanks Mario for the quick reply on that!). This would come at about half the price of the models we tried out and liked.

Another question: I’m guessing a platform bed (flat bottom) is ok for most things on the market these days, would that be a wrong assumption?

So yeah, maybe overthinking some of this and did spend quite some time researching and going through this forum. I don’t want to spend a fortune on a mattress (don’t want to skimp on it either), but do want a good fit and need it quite soon.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi gbg.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Paralysis by Analysis is nothing new in these parts and I’m happy to try and alleviate that if I can.

With regards to what to consider as a side sleeper…

Side sleeping is the most common sleeping position and because it has a more “curvy” profile than the other two positions, pressure relief becomes an important part of the choice here so you don’t end up sleeping on your more pointy or bony parts or to use a technical term … your bony prominences. These are of course your hips and your shoulders. There are deeper gaps to “fill in” to spread your weight out on the mattress when you are sleeping on your side so side sleepers need a deeper cradle to relieve pressure so the gaps are filled in and help spread the weight over the mattress. In other words they need to “sink IN” to the comfort layers more. This means that the comfort layers generally need to be a little softer and/or thicker than the other 2 positions. In general a good starting point for a good comfort layer for a side sleeper is 3" and then depending on weight, body shape, preferences, and the firmness of the support layers, to go up or down from there. Most side sleepers will fall in the range of from 2" -4". Without an appropriate comfort layer, a side sleeper will end up with pressure points during the course of the night and could have symptoms of numbness, soreness, localized redness, or end up tossing and turning all night as your body tries to relieve the pressure.

It is great that you were able to do some in person testing and narrow down the mattresses you liked vs disliked. Good on you both for knowing a sales trap when you see one! The industry as a whole has become dominated by misleading information and advertising, fake sales and gimmicks to create a false sense of urgency, lack of transparency, greed, deceptive sales practices, and poor customer service to the point where consumers are more confused than ever. In addition, it is common that seemingly independent websites or information sources often have hidden agendas and connections. It is not easy to know where to go to get accurate information about mattresses, which ones to buy, and where to buy them. So, we are glad you are here :slight_smile:

You mentioned the 2 you liked are in the 2500 CAD range. Are these king sized mattresses? Queen?

For memory foam, you ideally want it to be in the 3 - 4 lb per cubic foot density range (for durablity related reasons and for polyfoam, the 1.5 - 1.8 lb density range.

With regards to your MFC related questions, definitely reach back out to Mario! He will be upfront with you about your concerns. The upside to chatting with a TMU Trusted Member is that they want to make sure you’re buying what’s best for your needs, even if that doesn’t exist in their inventory. Or, maybe someone who has slept on that mattress will comment here with their experience.

NikkiTMU

Hey, thanks for your input!

It pretty much aligns with the research I’ve done, which is very reassuring.

We are looking at Queen size. The first linked mattress is at 2500 CAD and the second is at 2900. That doesn’t include tax, potential add-ons like pillows and such, etc.

Chances are we’ll try out more mattresses in the days to come and try to put some pressure back on salespeople to bring prices down.

Hi gbg.

If the mattresses you’re looking at are in the 13" thickness range, then $2500 CAD is not too far out of the normal price realm although $1800 - $1900 is definitely realistic and a common price-point in comparing similar models between Trusted Members.

I look forward to any further updates you may have for us!

NikkiTMU

I need to buy outdoor day beds urgently, can someone advise me a good company or a website where I can buy it?

Hi robischult.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum.

Outdoor daybeds aren’t really are speciality here in the forum, and to my knowledge none of our Trusted Members currently sell outdoor furniture. Outdoor daybeds can also vary widely. Some are chaise-like, others are round, others are square and more similar to a mattress (albeit much thinner).

You’re not the first person, though, to ask about daybeds in the forum so perhaps this forum topic as well as this forum topic may be of use to you in your search.

Best of luck and do keep us posted!
NikkiTMU