Overwhelmed and would love some suggestions...

I have been shopping for a new mattress for MONTHS and I just keep getting frustrated. Just when I think I’ve made my choice either I balk at the price or find a seemingly “better” option. So I thought I’d get some opinions here from people who know what’s up, and then at least use that to narrow my research.

What I ideally wanted at first: King size natural latex. I’m so over cheap innerspring mattresses that get imprints in them within a few years, and my husband has allergies. But I just can’t figure out a way to afford a $2600 mattress, especially when it’s a leap of faith since I have no idea what one feels like, and all the layer configurations just freak me out. I mean, how am I supposed to choose something like that without feeling? I did like the Plushbeds site almost purely because they gave fewer choices so far as firmness/layers.

So, I’ve pretty much decided to compromise- any decent, lasting King mattress under $2000, preferably with low/no flame retardants. I know, if I’m willing to spend $2000 I should just take the plunge and spend a few hundred more on the latex I really want, but ideally I’d like to find more than a little under $2000. I was looking at Saatva mattresses most recently and like the price and apparent quality, but are there other brands I should look at?

I live on the south east side of the Twin Cities in Minnesota, if that helps anyone give me direction.

Phoenix’s post here has a list. I happen to know a DIY natural latex mattress would be less than $2000.

Hi brandislee,

The first place I would start is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The tutorial post also includes a link to the members here that sell latex mattresses online that include a wide range of options and budget ranges (including a number that would fit inside your budget).

A forum search on Plushbeds will bring up more information and feedback about them.

You can read more about Saatva in post #1 here and a forum search on Saatva (you can just click this as well) will also bring up much more information about them.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Minneapolis area are listed in post #2 here (including diynaturalbedding who as you can see from their posts are very knowledgeable and would definitely be worth a visit :))

Phoenix

OMG thanks, I don’t know how that list didn’t come up in my research! I think that DIY site might be just the ticket!

Another question- if I decide to get the DIY latex and go with 2 3" layers (for a total of 6 inches) would it work to get firm for the base layer and then soft for the top, and then use them on the floor for the time being? That sounds ridiculously low, I know, but we’ll be cosleeping for a while and it will both be safer for the kid and cheaper. Then we can get a bed and foundation later, right? How will that affect the feel of the mattress (moving from on the floor to a foundation…)?

That combination happens to be my personal choice and it is actually a fairly common combination in those who choose 6", especially for side sleepers. A back or stomach sleeper might choose a medium over a firm. Only you can know what is ultimately the right combination for you.

Hi bandislee,

I would add a “ditto” to diynaturalbedding’s comments that only you can know whether a specific combination of layers is a good match for you. It will depend on your body type, sleeping positions, and personal sensitivities and preferences.

While this would probably be OK as a temporary measure … I would tend to use something under the mattress that provided some ventilation and airflow.

If the foundation you choose has a firm, non flexing, and evenly supportive surface that is suitable for a latex mattress then it would be very similar to or the same as the floor (which also has no flex).

If a foundation has some flex then it could be different from the floor (especially with a thinner mattress) depending on the amount of flex it has.

Phoenix

Thanks! I honestly don’t love the idea of the mattress on the floor, so either it will be short lived or I’ll try to find a bed in our budget. Thanks for all the feedback!