Overwhelmed, but still searching

Greetings, We are looking for a new mattress and are looking to go as natural as possible. I have found a couple of places that have mattresses that we are interested in, however they are not close by for us to go see them. We are thinking of going the latex route and wondering if you are able to provide us with some names of companies in the Baltimore, MD region (within 100 miles) that carry latex beds.

We are currently looking into TheGreenMattress, which is a sister company to QualitySleepShop (my understanding). We have also looked at SavvyRest and Essentia, however haven’t been impressed on the reviews we have read.

Thanks for your time.

Hi bcfrederick95,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here is the first place to start. It includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices and cut through the “overwhelm”.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Baltimore area are listed in post #2 here.

Yes … this is correct. They are also an invited member here which means I believe they are among the best quality/value available.

Savvy Rest uses very high quality materials and has a great design (you can choose your own comfort and support levels and either rearrange or exchange the layers as well if you need to make adjustments after you have slept on it) but they are not particularly good value because there are many other manufacturers that make similar designs using the same materials that are significantly less. A forum search on Savvy Rest will bring up much more information and feedback about them that you can scan through.

You can read more about Essentia in this thread and in this thread and post #3 and #4 here about their false claims would be worth reading as well. They certainly make claims that are misleading and aren’t accurate at all about their mattresses and are also not good value.

Phoenix

Thanks for your response. I have checked out your links and those that you have recommended and am close to make a decision. When talking to the sales rep over the phone he mentioned he had Bed A - which was a Latex bed, no coils and was x amount of money. Bed B was coiled to give you lumbar support and then latex and $1,000 less than bed A. As I mentioned before we are attempting to go as clean as possible when buying a bed, so the latex one would be our choice. This is where the question comes in, the sales rep is trying to talk me into Bed B with the coiled support which is less money. We are average weight and height, so it isn’t like there is a unique issue there. Both beds have the same warranty. So I am further along than I was before, but now it is between these two beds. Is there really a difference when it comes to latex with no lumbar/coiled support?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Hi bcfrederick95,

Both latex and innersprings would be very “safe” choices with no offgassing but they would have a very different feel and response.

The choice between them would be based on personal preference and would depend on the complete design of the mattress and how well it worked for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). both an all latex and a latex / innerspring hybrid can make very good choices.

You can read about some of the more technical differences between them in post #2 here.

Phoenix