Overwhelmed looking for a king mattress

Hi! I’m so thankful for the information I have found here!! We are searching for a new mattress moving from a queen to a king. The mattress were on now is a Sealy posturpedic carnivale plush ( I think we got it in 1990) we added a “My Pillow " topper on it last year. Actually sleeping pretty well on it except for my hips and shoulder sometimes hurting. Our stats are: Hubby: 5’10” 265 lbs starts on his back eventually end up on his side.
Me: 5’5" 155-60lbs some back. but mostly side sleeper and I have hot flashes. We have looked at a couple of mattresses and we’re interested in the purple until I found this site. You’ve helped me know what we should look for. We are near Greensboro/high Point area in NC and not too far from raleigh. We went today to The Original Mattress Factory in Greensboro and tried a latex mattress for the first time. We both liked it. It was the it was the Latex Serenity. Here is the information on the bed
https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/47437/EC9F7EEA-D195-486E-935F-F590B2A560A2.jpeg the set comes with a box spring. I didn’t know latex mattresses used box springs. We laid on it for about 20 minutes and liked it, but I wasn’t sure if it is quite what we need and I’m so afraid that it might not be and we’re stuck with it. Based on our specs, is there a mattress that would be better for us? Not sure what to do next . Thank for any advice!

Hey anphsmom,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

[quote]Hi! I’m so thankful for the information I have found here!! We are searching for a new mattress moving from a queen to a king. The mattress were on now is a Sealy posturpedic carnivale plush ( I think we got it in 1990) we added a "My Pillow " topper on it last year. Actually sleeping pretty well on it except for my hips and shoulder sometimes hurting.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words on the site, anphsmom; they are much appreciated :slight_smile: . Congrats to you on your new mattress shopping journey and upgrade to a king! Those added inches of mattress surface “real estate” provide a nice touch of comfort when two share a mattress. I’m sorry to hear of your shoulder and hip pain; however, after 30+ years of use, eventual material compressions, and personal aging can lead to those sorts of issues.

Thanks for including your personal stats for consideration with your mattress question, anphsmom. A quick review of your heights, weights, body shape/ weight distribution, preferred sleeping position(s) and preferences reveal initial components and constructions you may consider ruling out from the start. For example, with your hot flashes, memory foam in the upper comfort layer may not be the best choice for your preferences.

[quote]We are near Greensboro/high Point area in NC and not too far from raleigh. We went today to The Original Mattress Factory in Greensboro and tried a latex mattress for the first time. We both liked it. It was the it was the Latex Serenity. Here is the information on the bed. with a box spring. I didn’t know latex mattresses used box springs. We laid on it for about 20 minutes and liked it, but I wasn’t sure if it is quite what we need and I’m so afraid that it might not be and we’re stuck with it.
[/quote]

Good work on your showroom visit and mattress testing :slight_smile: ! Happy to hear that you’re able to try mattresses personally as that goes a long way in putting the name of a particular construction together with how you actually perceive its “feel”. Thanks for including the showroom product knowledge pics too, I used them to locate more details from The Original Mattress Factory’s website.

The Original Mattress Factory is a traditional mattress design manufacturer. They use the “traditional” design of two-sided mattresses paired with an American-made/ Amish boxspring. The Serenity Latex mattress is also a two-sided mattress design, meaning that it is flippable for “freshening” the feel of the mattress by turning it over and rotating it periodically. It comes in one firmness: 44 of 100 point scale, with 100 being the most firm.

Specs include:

4.5" HD polyfoam core, 28-34 ILD/ 2.5 lb density(?), having trouble reading that from the showroom image

3" of Talaltech Talalay latex comfort foam on either side, 16-22 ILD, 3.0 density

Talaltech Talalay latex comfort foam on either side, 21-27 ILD, 3.25 lb density

In terms of durability, I don’t see any particular “red flags” in the construction. The 4.5" HD polyfoam support core’s 2.5 lb. cu. ft. is well within the recommended range of 1.8 lb+ weight, and the Talalay’s ILD is a firmness indicator of the comfort layers and that is an individual preference choice. The Original Mattress Factory does offer a 365 day comfort policy, where you can “make a one-time reselection of a new model in our current stock for a fee of 25% of whichever piece is less expensive. Retail price difference and delivery/pick-up fees may apply.” Their return policy states that they do not accept returns and they do offer a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and material, you would want to review all of their policies in detail before purchase to be sure they are agreeable to you.

You may find many suitable choices from any of our trusted member manufacturers, be sure and review our directory when you have time. You’re also welcome to ask questions of them as well. Have you made any other store visits since your post? Good luck with your research and let us know how things go :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks for your reply! I’m heading to B and L bedding , a local manufacturer tomorrow. They said they have some options that might work for us when I called them. I’ll post back .

I went to a local mattress manufacturer today. He couldn’t tell me much about what type of foam. Only that it’s top quality. I tried 2 of their beds and I don’t know if it’s because of the pillow ( or lack of one), but my neck and shoulder of the arm I’m not laying on on my side ( I lay on my left, so my right shoulder) started hurting some and I felt as if I had a huge knot in my shoulder. I didn’t have it before trying mattresses and it’s gotten much better since I’ve been home. Wondering if it was the pillow or mattress or both. These were more traditional mattresses with the pocket coils and foam on top. I’m thinking we might have to drive to Raleigh to try all latex mattresses since I didn’t think there are any places close that carry them.

Hey anphsmom,

Thanks for your reply and updates :slight_smile: .

Good job on making the local mattress manufacturer visit, anphsmom :slight_smile: ! It’s a shame that your experience was somewhat lackluster, but at least you made the effort to shop local and now remove that option from the equation. I would be wary of anyone’s generalization of a foam being “top quality” rather than specific details such as the particular type of foam, its density, and whether it carries Certi-PUR US standard or similar product certifications to ensure of its safety from toxins. This postexplains in depth different component certifications and their significance.

That’s a tough one to diagnose via a forum, unfortunately. In this instance, the pillow may have been the culprit. Side sleepers need a pillow with a loft that’s roughly equal to the distance from their shoulder to their neck at the head’s point of contact, keeping that area in proper spinal alignment. Your head and neck may have been elevated at an angle that your body wasn’t used to. This is also a good time to mention that updated pillows for your new mattress may be a good investment and something to consider, depending on your current pillows age and condition.

Excellent that you have other showroom options within driving distance, anphsmom! As you test mattresses that are potential candidates, scribe some notes, take pics (as in your first post) and ask questions, here is a mattress shopping checklist, a review of the basic functions of a mattressand a guide for testing support and alignment of your spine. Good luck with your latex mattress testing and looking forward to hearing about your findings :wink: .

Sensei

King Mattresses are the nicest to sleep on. My wife and I only have that luxury when we are sleeping away in a hotel. Our bedroom is pretty small and the biggest mattress/bed that can really fit in that room is a size full. If you have the space for a king and can afford the upgrade kings are the way to g.