Overwhelmed... Need some help, looking to buy immediately!!

So, I am currently sleeping on an 8 year old Serta pillow top mattress. After five years in, I put on a memory foam topper that I purchased from Costco. It was a rather good one I believe as it was around $200. Fast forward to year eight and I am not sleeping very well anymore. There is no sinkage in the mattress itself but the pillow top portion of it is flattened and you can feel the coils beneath it… The memory foam topper has a good amount of sinkage to it and there is certainly a dip in the middle of it. It has become worn out and too soft now.

About 90% of the time I sleep on my right side. The other 10% is a mix of back sleeping by accidentally turning over in the middle of the night.

Recently I went to four or five mattress stores and tried out tons of mattresses. The only one that left a lasting impression on me was the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme. As we all know though, this isn’t the best way to pick out a mattress. It actually felt like you were getting what you were paying for as the foam was very comfortable. However, it may have been just a tad too soft as there was another Tempurpedic next to it that was just a hair firmer that I liked slightly more but can’t remember the name of it. I want something comparable to this but definitely can’t spend $3,000 on a mattress right now. I tried a latex bed at a couple of the stores but found them to be a little firmer than I like as I felt like I was floating on on top of them instead of being cuddled by them.

So I turned to the trusty internet and started my research. It turns out that there are a handful of small overnight startup businesses claiming to sell mattresses at a 1/3 of the price of big name brands. However, an average consumer is hard pressed to tell the difference between them with the guerilla marketing and refer a friend advertisements. Everything feels a like fake or hard to believe about these companies.

I am looking to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 to $1,400 for a comparable king sized memory foam mattress. I just bought a Lifestyle Solutions Zurich king platform bed and I need a mattress to fill it ASAP.

Casper
Tuft and Needle
NovosBed
DreamFoam
Brooklyn Bedding
Novaform
Loom and Leaf
Leesa
YogoBed
AmeriSleep
Christeli
Nest Bedding
(Any other mail order brands I’m missing?)

I was actually all set to buy the Leesa mattress until I found this forum and discovered that the quality of materials aren’t the best. Can someone please point me in the right direction to a high quality memory foam mattress?

Thanks in advance!

Hi B Feelgood,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The tutorial includes a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and several of these sell mattresses that are designed to be good approximations of the Tempurpedic line but are in lower budget ranges that may be well worth considering if you are confident that one of the Tempurpedic mattresses is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

It also includes a link to a forum topic with more comments about the new “breed” of what I call “simplified choice” mattresses that also includes more information about the type and quality of the materials inside each of them.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better local options or possibilities I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix :slight_smile:

I live in Pittsburgh, PA 15219.

Comparing the Brooklyn Bedding “Best Mattress Ever” and the “Kiss” mattress from SleepEZ. Which mattress has the more expensive or desirable materials? The Kiss mattress reminds me of the Casper mattress in regards to construction except for Casper’s 1.8lb base.I suppose that I wouldn’t rule out latex as I probably didn’t spend enough time on the latex mattress that I tested in a bed store.

BB
2" Taylay
2" Dunlap
6" 2lb HDPF

KISS
1.5" Blended Taylay
1.5" 4lb mem foam
7" 2lb base

Hi B Feelgood,

There is no such thing as the “best” mattress or a mattress that has the most “desirable” materials (if there was there would only be one or a very few types of mattresses being sold in the industry) … there is only a mattress that is most desirable materials for “you” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you regardless of whether the same mattress would be the “best” or would be the most "desirable for anyone else or whether it would even be suitable for anyone else to sleep on.

Different mattress designs and combinations of materials and components are part of what makes a mattress more or less suitable for each individual person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and these are preference choices rather than “better/worse” choices…

There are some comments about both of these mattresses in post #2 here of the simplified choice topic. While I can’t speak to which of these mattresses you might prefer … I can certainly confirm that both of them use high quality materials that would be suitable for any weight range and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them that would affect the durability or useful life of a mattress. In terms of durability they would be closely comparable.

The only reliable way to really know which of them would be a better match for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP or which one you would prefer over the other would be based on your own personal experience which of course isn’t possible.

The BestMattressEver uses two layers of latex (Blended Talalay latex over synthetic Dunlop latex) on top of a 2.0 lb polyfoam base layer with a cover quilted with a thin layer of polyfoam. It would be attractive to those who prefer comfort layers that are more “springy” and more resilient with more of the “feel” of latex.

The KISS mattress uses one layer of blended Talalay latex on top of a 4 lb high performance polyfoam hybrid layer that has some of the “feel” and contouring of memory foam without the slow response and temperature sensitivity that is typical of memory foam. It would be attractive to those that prefer the more resilient “surface feel” of a Talalay top layer with some of the more contouring and less resilient “feel” of a “memory foam like” layer underneath it. It has some similarities to the Casper mattress in terms of design except it uses a more resilient blended Talalay latex in the top layer instead of synthetic Dunlop and it uses a high performance hybrid polyfoam in the transition layer which would be more durable, have a little faster response, and would be less temperature sensitive than the 4 lb memory foam in the Casper.

As you know both mattresses use a higher density and more durable base foam than many of the other simplified choice mattresses (including the Casper). Both of them have a free return policy and both would be great quality/value choice but the choice between them would be a preference choice rather than a better/worse choice.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for someone else either for a mattress, a manufacturers/retailers, or a combination of materials or type of mattress because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person before a purchase then most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include both manufacturers) who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations or circumstances you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Once you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Pittsburgh area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hey B Feelgood, one of the mattresses that I’m currently reviewing is the Bear mattress. It’s a unique, hybrid mattress that uses some quality materials and the cover has celiant technology that absorbs heat from your body and turns it in to radiant energy. This cover is on top of a layer of graphite foam. It’s really a unique bed and this one along with the Helix Mattress are two that are on my list for consideration. They have a loft in Hoboken, NJ so it might be worth a weekend drive to check them out.

Helix is also another unique mattress. Perhaps the most unique of the lot for they have a questionairre on their website that allows you to build the perfect, custom mattress for you or for you and a partner. They do not have a storefront to my knowledge but who else allows you to build a bed from the ground up. This bed also has microcoils, which are different from bedsprings.

Anyway, I’m just tossing in my two cents. I also have BB, KISS, Helix, Bear, and Nest Bedding Alexander mattress on my list.

Hopefully, when you’ve gone over all of the information on this website it will help you to make a decision.

thank you