Overwhelmed

Hello! I’ve been reading a lot through this site, and want to thank you and all contributors for all the information, questions and answers posted here.

My husband and I desperately need a new mattress, but I’m feeling very overwhelmed by all the options and information. I’m wondering if someone could help point us in the right direction for recommended mattresses to investigate further?

We are currently on a King Dormeo mattress, and it feels like we are both sleeping in a ditch. It is only about 5 years old. We both have neck and shoulder pain. I frequently wake up to roll over/move in the night, due to pain or pressure (I believe from misalignment). He is 6’2 and around 210lb and I am 5’5 and around 250lb. Both of us are back and side sleepers, and prefer to sleep “on” a mattress vs “in”; however, we both like some comfort in the top to conform to hips and shoulders when we are side-sleeping.

I’m thinking a hybrid, possibly with latex? But it also seems that we should stay away from springs, since we are heavier people? Any recommendations for mattresses we should be looking at/considering? We are located in Alberta, Canada. Thank you!

Hi JMD5.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I can certainly understand the sense of overwhelm with thousands of options and conflicting information. You are not alone and you came to the right place to get some help sorting through this information.

Sorry to hear that your current Dormeo mattress causes you and your husband pains during the night. Dormeo is an all-foam mattress that contains a 5" soy-infused EcoCell polyfoam support layer with the 1" memory foam layer and a layer or two of 2" “Octasprings -EcoSprings” of unknown density. Even though it’s after the fact you may want to have a look at this red flag deals post here to understand what can go wrong with a mattress purchase that is missing factual data. Regardless of the marketing tactics used to promote a mattress, if verifiable specifics are not available, and the company that sells it is not willing to provide this information., I would assume that the mattress has lower-quality materials that will break down prematurely. An uninformed and trusting consumer can easily fall prey and end up with a mattress that has durability issues showing up much before the end of the warranty. Regardless of the mattress online “reviews” (galore)…outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new

To make a more informed mattress purchase I’d first determine which type of mattress you and your husband like (hybrid, All latex, Foam combos etc.) I’d make some trips to a local store that is willing to provide mattress-specific information and I’d try different styles and mattress types. Then I’d eliminate all the contenders for which you cannot find the mattress specifications you need to know so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here Doing this is a sure way to narrow down your options, help you zoom in on a quality product, and reduce the overwhelming amount of information you come across.

Not necessarily! … “Spring” mattresses can be very durable and appropriate for higher weight range sleepers, provided that you like their feel. When selecting a product make sure to look at the mattress durability specifications recommended for someone with a 30+ BMI. A high BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high-quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any type of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

If you like latex, then an all-latex mattress or latex comfort layers over either an innerspring or polyfoam can make good sense. Latex is the most durable material from all types of foams and the upper layers of a mattress are the most important part of durability because they are the most subject to repeated compression and mechanical stress and for most people (but not all) … they contribute more to the overall “feel” of the mattress as well.

I don’t keep track of all the local stores in specific areas of Canada as the industry landscape is rapidly changing, but if you are considering an online purchase you can find a few Canadian manufacturers or retailers in the Trusted Members ~ directory that I think highly of and would be happy to assist and educate consumers.
CBH Wood
Dormio.ca
Memory Foam Comfort

I hope the above info and links help simplify your mattress search and set you on the right track
Phoenix

Thank you very much! I will take a look at your suggestions.

Yes, I certainly wish there would have been more information/reviews about Dormeo back when we purchased it - and it would have been SUPER helpful to know about TMU and all the information here!

Both of us really like the feel of springs with a good comfort layer to conform to curves/relieve pressure. My husband just wants to buy The Fairmont Bed (sold by Fairmont Hotels, made by Sealy), but I’m not convinced it will last long and even when I asked for specific info on material, it wasn’t enough detail.

I was considering trying the Ghostbed Flex (what they recommended as well), but I know the foam is 4lb, and what I’ve read here is >5lb is recommended for our size.

I’ve also considered trying to find a good solid innerspring and get a separate topper that we can change out as needed… But I haven’t seen just an innerspring anywhere (they all seem to have pillowtop) and I’m not sure about which manufactures would have strong coils for extra weight. Any recommendations there?

Then of course we’d need to find a topper we like…

Neither of us have tried latex, but I think we need to. I’ll have to figure out if there are any retailers locally that have a showroom with latex options. It looks like Costco has a Sealy Posturpedic mattress with latex - I know, stay away from Sealy… But Costco is also quite tempting because the customer service is so fabulous.
https://www.costco.ca/sealy-posturepedic-natural-origins-oak-crest-king-mattress-or-set.product.100665077.html

Thanks again for your input and suggestions.

Hi JMD5.

Your intuition serves you well. “Hotel mattresses” tend to be lower quality and value than the consumer mattresses made by the same manufacturer in the same price range and more basic versions of the retail products that many mattress companies offer (which isn’t a good thing). One of the “secrets” to many hotel mattresses is that they usually use a bedding package that includes a mattress pad or topper that is a big part of how the mattress feels and can also add to the durability of the mattress (replacing a mattress pad or topper can be less costly than replacing a whole mattress because a mattress or sleeping system will usually soften or break down from the top-down). In many cases, the more subjective short-term experience of sleeping at a hotel is an improvement over the mattress that people sleep on regularly and this often “translates” into the perception that hotel mattresses are better than they are. They are a frequent source of buyer’s remorse. They tend to be firmer products using softer “top-of-bed” materials to create extra plushness. There’s more good information about hotel mattresses in post #3 here.

I agree that for your BMI I would not consider any mattress with more than one inch or so of lower than 5lbs/cuft density.

[QUOTE]. I’ve also considered trying to find a good solid innerspring and get a separate topper that we can change out as needed… But I haven’t seen just an innerspring anywhere (they all seem to have pillowtop) and I’m not sure about which manufactures would have strong coils for extra weight. Any recommendations there?
Then of course we’d need to find a topper we like…
[/QUOTE]
This sounds like a good plan but I’d recommend doing this under the guidance of a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer.

Below is a listing of Canadian and US manufacturers/retailers who are trusted member manufacturers/ retailers of the TMU that offer DIY mattresses and ship across Canada who you may wish to consider. They are very seasoned in providing good guidance over the phone and fitting their customers with a suitable product in terms of comfort/support needs. You may want to consider giving a call to expert trusted member MFC, I know that @Mario would be happy to help with any questions you may have of their products.
Arizona Premium Mattress: Phoenix AZ-based manufacturer offers hybrid and latex mattresses, latex mattress toppers, via standard UPS ground shipping to Canada including Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, and more.
CBH Wood Furniture: Canadian manufacturer of All-Natural beds. Would be a good lead if you are considering an all-latex bed.
Dormio: Canadian Manufacturer specializing in organic/natural latex mattresses with options that fit all budget ranges.
MFC: Canadian online retailer with a very good selection of latex mattresses and hybrids
You can also browse our TMU Trusted Members as there are some US-based companies that provide products to the Canadian market but you’d need to call and check
While not a member you may want to try SnugSleep: which has a factory and showroom in North Vancouver, Canada carrying natural latex mattress products.

While customer service and easy returns are quite “tempting” this 14" mattress is an all-foam combo with only a 2" maximum of latex. The remainder of 12" foams within the mattress will have an effect on how the mattress will feel to you and the durability of the mattress and how long you’ll sleep well on it. Additionally, all of the layers of foam work together in a completed mattress and it would be difficult to tell how “latex” will feel to you. Latex is a good and durable material but you’d still need to find the mattress specifications you need to know to compare them to the mattress durability guidelines here for your specific BMIs.

I came across a few references including this one which shows Brighthaven which is almost identical to Oak
(13 ¾ “) Sealy Posturepedic Natural Origins Oak Crest ~ Foam Combo (Tight Top)
Support ~ 8” Polyurethane (1.45 lbs/cuft)
Comfort ~ “Targeted ComfortSense Memory Foam - 2.5 LB + 2” BioGel Latex - 3.75 LB + 3 1/2" Gel HDM - 1.35 LB" according to National Mattress as shown in the screenshot below.
Cover ~ Bamboo infused organic cotton ¬+ Silk & Wool fiber

https://https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/66/SealyConstruction.png
Even with Costco’s easy returns, the best you’ll probably accomplish is to buy yourself more time while searching for a quality mattress that meets your needs and preferences.

Hopefully, you find some of these resources useful.
Phoenix

Thanks for the information, and my apologize for not replying sooner.

I’ve been looking at the Nest Owl Hybrid. Is this something you would recommend for someone with my BMI? Are there any latex hybrid options in Canada you would recommend we look into OR any that actually have at least 5lb foam? I’ve reached out to Mario at MFC as well to chat about all-latex options (in another chat, I saw they are having issues with >3lb foam supply).

I meant to add…
I see GhostBed has the GhostBed Natural…is this a latex hybrid in Canada that could work for at higher weight?

Thanks,

I think you need something adjustable. Dont go with Sleepnumber. What else is adjustable? Flobeds VZone!!! Plus you can return it and you are only out shipping cost. If you gain or lose weight later, you can make mattress softer or firmer. The VZone layer is adjustable. On paper, it looks like the perfect mattress.

Flobeds has a Cinco De Mayo sale that goes until May 8/9th 2022!!! $800 off a king bed? Im in!!!

I might order a VZone myself this weekend!

The other mattress I like is Tempurpedic LuxeAdapt Firm….it feels more like a medium. Also try ProAdapt Medium/Medium Hybrid.

I tried Casper Nova Hybrid and Wave Hybrid. I didnt like it.

You also might consider Intellibed Matrix Supreme. It rated as Soft….but purportedly soft and firm at same time. You might like it. Its not for me, but try it out in store. It is a bit like Purple with the gel buckling columns.

Im trying to decide between VZone and LuxeAdapt Firm. I may order vZone 5/7/2022 or 5/8/2022!!!

With all this…try my suggestions….but trust only yourself!!! You might hate all my suggestions and thats ok!!! Look through the Mattress Tutorial! I agree with it.

Try to test all mattresses on the same day!

Let me know what you buy!

John

Hi JMD5.

You are in the fortunate position to select between “good and good” provided that you also select the optimal comfort level for you!
Nest’s (12.5") Owl Natural Latex Hybrid Mattress is a well-designed bed and a good option for your higher BMI, This mattress has a zippered cover and will allow you to get the most out of it over the years as it allows you to replace or make comfort exchanges should need be. It has enough height to allow for progressive sinking in needed at your BMI but also has enough support to keep your spine in neutral alignment. FIY here are the detailed specs
.1" Organic Stretch Knit Cotton and Joma Wool
1.5" 1.5lb Eco-Flex Quilting Foam
3" Oeko-tex Cert. Continuous Pour Dunlop Latex (Medium 27 ILD/ Firm 36 ILD)
1" 1.5LB Eco-Friendly Comfort Foam
6" Reinforced Edge Coil Support Pocketed Coils
1" - 1.5 lb. Support Foam
Comfort Options - Plush, Medium or Firm.

The same goes for (12") GhostBed Natural ~ Hybrid Latex with pocket coils
Zippered organic cotton cover Viscose/poly blend
1" 1.8 oz wool layer
2" Natural Talalay latex (medium firmness)
8" Pocket Coils (Reinforced proprietary Sprinted Edge perimeter support)
1" Dunlop stabilization base

They are both Trusted members of our site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality or their products, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. This said if you decide to go with GB Natural make sure to read their policy well regarding any returns in case the comfort level needs to be exchanged for any reason. They did have some issues with accepting or lengthy processing returns.

To help with the final selection Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of the course and the options you have available after purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Some of the BillyIdol suggestions may be good (especially the VZone) Before considering the other suggestions you may want to first find and run the mattress specifications you need to know by the mattress durability guidelines here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components for your specific BMI which would need higher density and more durable foams.

Looking forward to hearing about your final decision.
Phoenix