Oviedo FL Recommended Retailers

Thank you for this informative site! I am midway through reading your guides and am finding them very helpful. I have learned that I am highly sensitive to memory foam, I purchased a costco Novoform mattress after sleeping on one in a vacation rental and really liking it. But with my purchase, although the feel of it is quite nice, even after a month of off gassing, I find sleeping on it results in nausea and headache. So it will be returned, and I am embarking on finding a more suitable choice. I am replacing a worn innerspring pillow top, which has been a very good choice for me. Now that I have decided memory foam is not for me, I am interested in exploring latex. I’ve never tried latex before and have two questions so I can decide between a latex core vs another innerspring.

1. Can you recommend stores near Oviedo, FL where I could try out the feel of latex?
  2. Do people like me who are sensitive to memory foam off gassing typically also experience issues with latex?

And lastly, what stores to you recommend making a purchase from in my area?

Thanks,

Angela

Hi awoods,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences with the Novoform. I had a similar experience with one of their toppers (see post #2 here) although other types of memory foam haven’t affected me the same way.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Orlando area (including Oviedo) are listed in post #2 here.

No … out of the three types of foam that you will find in most mattresses (polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam), latex is the least likely to cause any sensitivity issues and all the latex you are likely to encounter will have been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s either by Oeko-Tex or by Eco-Institut.

While I can’t feel what you feel or see you on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make specific suggestions for someone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) … Fox mattress is one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the country in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency … and I would at least talk with them on the phone and if you are comfortable with the drive and your conversation I would make sure you include them in your research and pay them a visit.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for your reply. It is great to hear that latex does not have the same sensitivity issues I experienced with the memory foam. And thank you for sharing your experience with Novoform, it definitely helps to know that I’m not the only one to have such a reaction.

Thank you for the links to the specific locations in my area. I will be doing a bit more reading up on how to properly shop for a mattress, then heading out to visit some of the ones you have recommended. Fox mattress’s web site does look particularly appealing, the videos they included there were informative and friendly.

Thanks,

Angela

• 1 on Fox Mattress in Ormond Beach. I wrote here about my trip to Ormond and their Latex offerings.

Also The Original Mattress Factory has a location in Winter Park at 1785 State Road 436. We were considering them in our shopping process. They have some decent looking beds at decent prices. Their Serenity Line has a Latex offering.

Thanks mrm1. Your description of Fox’s latex offerings was useful to read. What did you end up purchasing?

An all latex mattress online. Worked out well for us so far.

MrM1, thanks for taking the time to post all of those pictures! Very interesting! Today I went to the Original Mattress Factory and tried their latex with polyfoam reversible mattress. I liked it quite a bit, enjoyed the springy feeling of the latex. Perhaps a touch firmer than I might want, but as my first experience with latex, seems pretty promising. How would you say that the feel of your all latex mattress is compared to the Original Matress Factory one? Softer? Firmer? I’m hoping to get out to a place that has all latex models to try out soon to compare. Did you find you experimented with flipping the layers in yours at all, or was the first configuration you tried “the one”?

Is there a way to see any of the actual mattress on the Orlando Mattress Companies web site? All I see is this: http://www.orlandomattresscompany.com/online-store/, which displays for me a list of fabric patterns to choose from, with the choice taking me to a page that has no further information. Is their site broken? I thought at first that the issue was that I was using a mobile device to look at it, but now that I’m at a regular computer, I see the same thing.

Hi awoods,

It’s been like that for as long as I have known about them. You will need to call or visit them to find out more about their mattresses because their website is basically useless.

Phoenix

Thanks for confirming their website isn’t functioning properly!

I did not actually make it down to the Original Mattress Factory. The were in my top list when I was considering inner springs. As to the layer softness, I do not know from their site what exactly would have been the comfort layer ILD that you laid on, but from their site best I can tell it would have either been a 16-22 or a 21-27 comfort top. Our mattress is a 22-24 3" comfort layer on top. So I am guessing it would be somewhere in between.

For me, I could be a touch softer. Wife says she is fine.

I did do some layer shifting, ie. turning and rotating, but am still using the Firm/Medium/Soft bottom to top configuration. The first 2 nights were no problem. But since the shifts that I did begin on nite 3 (all I did was 180 rotate the layers) … I have been having a pain in the center of my back when I wake. I do sleep very well on the mattress though. And I think the pain is more of a PPP adjustment as it seems to be getting better each night. So I am giving it time.

Thanks MrM1 for the information on the stats & feel of you mattress! Yesterday I was able to got to Fox to try out their mattresses. You can read about my experience in post #12.

I called Orlando Mattress Company. They have moved to Haines City and they do sell some retail, but do not have there own showroom. They have some of their models available to test at the Atlas Mattress Factory, http://www.atlasfactory.com. Atlas looks like they make mattresses also. Will probably go to their showroom this weekend, but thought I’d check and see if anyone had any experience with Atlas?

Hi awoods,

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

I hadn’t talked with Orlando Mattress for some time so I called them today and they have changed ownership since I last talked with them and are now working in partnership with Atlas Mattress in Lake Hamilton which is also the new location of their factory. I talked with both of them today (I had never come across Atlas Mattress before and hadn’t talked with them). They are still primarily commercial manufacturers that sell to hotels and retailers but they also sell directly to the public. They still make a wide range of mattresses including innersprings, latex, and memory foam and are transparent about the materials in all their mattresses.

I would estimate that I know about 95% or more of the local manufacturers across the country so it’s unusual that I find out about one that I hadn’t heard of before so I appreciate you bringing them to my attention. I’ve updated the information in the Orlando list along with the Avon Park list and the Tampa list which are all within reasonable driving distance.

I’m looking forward to your feedback if you decide to visit them.

Phoenix

Glad to help! Thanks for following up to get the scoop. I haven’t talked to Atlas on the phone yet, but I couldn’t tell if Atlas makes there own latex models in addition to the ones that Orlando Mattress Company makes. I’ll let you know what I find out when I visit - hopefully tomorrow.

Hi awoods,

They are a partnership that in effect are the same company and all the mattresses that they have available on their floor or any of their custom mattresses would be available through either company.

Phoenix

I went to Atlas mattress this morning. It was staffed by a hispanic couple who seemed eager to please. However, they spoke very little English, so the language barrier was a problem, as I don’t speak Spanish. Simple questions such as “is this firm or medium latex” got answers like “yes latex”. At one point I asked for the name of a quilting pattern I liked, and the response was that the man brought out several more quilted tops of different patterns for me to look at. Very confusing. Never did find out the name of the quilting pattern I liked. So I wouldn’t recommend you go there unless you speak Spanish, or bring a translator.

They had 2 latex models and both were pretty odd configurations. I knew the stats on the latex layers because the representative I talked to at the Orlando Mattress Company line had researched them for me (I had actually thought they were going to be individual layers in a thin casing just for testing - not so). The first was 6" of 36 ILD Talalay latex on top of 2" of some sort of soft polyfoam with 2" of memory foam on the very bottom. I can only assume that mattress was upside down for some reason. The other had 2" of 22 ILD Talalay latex on top of 2"of memory foam, then 2" of some other foam, then about 4" of a support foam. Not a clue why you’d put memory foam between the core and the latex topper. Both of these had the foam layers glued together, but the mattress was not fully constructed, a quilted topper just layed on top so you can change out the quilted top to try different ones. As I was interested in a soft over firm/medium latex model, this really wasn’t useful in terms of testing.

However, they do custom build, and it seems they have a fixed price and will build pretty much anything you want for that one price. I asked if they would put the 2"of 22ILD latex over the 6" 36ILD latex core. They said yes, and that also they could make it double sided so that there was 2" of the 22ILD latex on each side and with any quilted top I wanted. When I asked about price they said that it was $1200 for a King sized, and there was no price difference between the single sided and double sided. That strikes me as very odd, but certainly it is a very low price. So if you are bargain hunting you might want to consider them.

The other thing that was noteworthy is that the place was not air conditioned! Now that may not be a big deal most places, but this is FL. It is 98 degrees here today, and for the past month or so our heat index has been in the 110 to 120 range. So definetely would not recommend going there in the summer, especially if you are looking at memory foam. This also begs the question - if the warehouse & factory is not temperature controlled, wouldn’t the stock of foam they are using to build mattresses be taking heat damage? What happens to latex if it gets very hot and is exposed to high temps for a long time?

So all in all, I may consider asking the Orlando Mattress Company salesperson (whose English was good) if they would sell the latex layers individually if I want to assemble my own to be sure it contained what I wanted. Otherwise, I’d worry that the communication difficulty would result in me getting a mattress I was not confident matched the specs I ordered.

Hopefully that’s helpful to anyone else considering visiting. If you go, go in winter, and bring a Spanish speaker.

Hi awoods,

Thanks for the feedback … I appreciate it.

When I talked with Orlando Mattress they thought that there could be a language barrier for more technical questions so they suggested that if this turned out to be the case that it may be worthwhile calling and talking with them since they said they have the specs for all the mattresses that are on the showroom floor and may be in a better position to answer more complex questions.

While you will often find latex mattresses with a “stabilization layer” of firmer polyfoam on the bottom … if this was softer polyfoam or memory foam then I would also think that the mattress may have been upside down.

This is not so unusual and it can create a “feel” than many people (including me) like because it has the more resilient “feel” and ease of movement of latex on the top with some of the “slow sinking in” feel of memory foam underneath it (see post #15 here for another example). I personally prefer a relatively thin layer of latex over memory foam rather than memory foam over latex but each person has their own individual preferences about the combination of materials that they prefer.

This temperature range wouldn’t damage the foam but it certainly could make any memory foam in a mattress feel softer than it would feel in a bedroom that was cooler.

I agree with you that the prices appear to be good and I appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback and experiences there.

Phoenix

Glad to know that heat won’t damage latex. Living in FL, some amount of heat exposure is certain - power outages in hurricane season etc.

I think that the one mattress was definitely upside down - it had the very soft layers on the bottom, and the firm ones on the top. Interesting about the latex over memory foam - that one was a very squishy feeling mattress, but it really isn’t fair to judge a memory foam model when the temp is in the 90s. But since I am sensitive to memory foam offgassing, so I’m not considering models with any memory foam anyhow.