Owners of Charles P. Rogers mattresses

Like many consumers scouring the Internet for reliable information about mattresses , I stumbled upon both The Mattress Underground and The Old Bed Guy’s websites. I was intrigued by some of the information I read on The Old Bed Guy’s website, so I took his survey to see which mattress he would recommend for my wife and I. He ultimately gave me two interesting choices from a company called Charles P. Rogers (CPR). Little did I know at the time I took the survey (just last week) that The Old Bed Guy, aka Marshall Croyle, is purportedly related to the CEO of CPR. Despite Marshall’s failure to disclose this VERY important detail, I’m still interested in the latex hybrid concept he recommended. I would like to hear from folks who currently own either the CPR Pulse Latex or the top of the line CPR Nano2 that “Marshall” recommended. Do you like your CPR mattress? Were you able to lay on it before purchasing it (I can’t because I live in the midwest). If you don’t own a CPR, but have an hybrid mattress made with latex, I also interested in hearing about it as well. My wife and I are avid runners who want a mattress that will be supportive, yet comfortable for our boney body types. FYI - I’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial and know more than I would like to admit about the various types of mattress materials, compositions, build types, brands, etc. I’ve also tested various models around town, but feel limited on what is available to see and touch in person. CPR intrigues me, especially the nano 2 (micro coil comfort layer) concept. Thank you in advance.

Hi MUTigerFan,

I’m guessing you’ve read this already but for the sake of others that may read your post you can see my comments about the Old Bed Guy and his website (and some of the very strange comments he makes) in this topic. There is “some” good information on his site and some information that is questionable at best and misleading, inaccurate, or deceptive at worst.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

While many people may be happy with one of his Charles P Rogers suggestions … there will always be some that won’t be as well (see this topic as an example).

A forum search on Charles P Rogers (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience.

Each mattress category can include hundreds of different mattresses with a very wide range of different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so each mattress category will generally include some mattresses that have a design that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and others that use the same type of materials and components and are in the same category and may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on … even if it uses the same general type of materials and components.

I would also make sure that when you are buying a mattress online that you haven’t tested in person that you are comfortable with the options you have to exchange or return a mattress and any costs involved just in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for because the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own personal experience.

There are certainly many people who prefer latex/innerspring hybrids over other types of mattresses (see post #13 here and the posts it links to) but again the only way to know whether you are one of them would be based on your own personal experience. While it’s not a complete list … outside of any additional options that may be available to you locally some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and the post it links to but if you wish to test any of them in person rather than ordering online you would need to check their websites or call them to see if any of them have a dealer close to you.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for the thorough response to my question. I live in Kansas City, MO and would definitely like to know about the better options or possibilities you are aware of in my area.

Hi MUTigerFan,

I live in Kansas City, MO

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Kansas City area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix