Packing Latex

Hi Phoenix,

I’m moving to a new apartment this coming Sunday and would like to know the best way to pack my 8 3inch latex layers (Split King 12inches) as the original packing was torn.

Any Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
Ashwin.

I learned a lot this summer from constructing my own mattress. If you want to compress them, Deborah from diy bedding offers some good advice on this site. If you do a search, you should be able to find it. Also if you want to compress, there is a written tutorial on sleeplikeabear.com that is good. Depending on the density, I have had great luck folding queen size latex in 3 like a letter and then rolling it, quickly placing it in a strong garbage bag before it can get too big again, like a contractor garbage bag, and then sticking a vacuum hose in the center of it and sucking the air out. once that’s done, i make sure to hold it without letting any air out (a little seeps out). Then I put it in a jumbo space bag as quickly as possible. I make sure the opening of the contractor bag is well open when I seal the space bag, so the mattress can compress and the garbage bag doesn’t choke the vacuum. And then I seal the top of the space bag and suck the air out of it. It can take like 10 minutes – walking on it. sitting on it, lying on it… It really shrinks. It’s actually amazing. Do it with someone else. I found this works better than just putting it in a space bag directly.

If you don’t want to compress, There are some very good videos on how to fold latex and memory foam. Check youtube.

This is not ideal for sending via post. but 2" layer of talalay at 24 ild actually fit in a suitcase with room to spare.

Hi ashwinivin,

Deborah’s instructions that mattress maven mentioned are in post #5 here.

There are also some instructions here and some videos here and here that will all give you the idea.

Phoenix