Pain with new mattress - now what?

First of all, this site is amazing and I have learned so much. It has really narrowed my direction to what type of mattress I want. After going through all the articles and forum comments, I settled on the Nest Natural Hybrid Latex in the medium firmness. I laid on the mattress in the store for at least 20 minutes on three occasions and I loved it. However over the past 30 nights, I have experienced point shoulder pain which wakes me up at night. I have contacted Nest and they are going to send me a soft comfort layer to replace the medium one. I am worried I will have to eventually return the mattress so I am coming to the forum here to see if there is any advice. Here are some details of my situation:
I am a side sleeper, 72 inches tall at 215 lbs. My previous mattress was a Costco Novaform memory foam firm mattress. I had that mattress for 3 years and it was my first memory foam mattress. I had hip and shoulder pain with that mattress and I thought it was too stiff and it was a little hot for me. I have a history of back pain, but I felt that mattress made my back feel better and I can’t recall ever waking up with a sore back. Because of the hip and shoulder pain, but no back pain, I thought the support of that mattress was good, but I needed a different comfort solution. With the new Nest, I really like the latex feel, it sleeps cool, and I have not experienced any back pain, but the shoulder pain is a deal breaker. At my weight, I wouldn’t think a softer comfort layer would work, but who knows. When narrowing down by decision of which mattress to buy, it was between the Nest and the BB Bloom Hybrid. I chose Nest because I was able to lay on the mattress at the store. If I had to get a different mattress, I assume the BB mattress would have similar feel since their construction is similar. So I am looking for some advice to possible new mattress options based on the details I laid out.

One more thing is mattress support. I am using a box spring which seems pretty strong as I can stand on it without falling through it. I was wondering if that could be causing me some problems. I wouldn’t think so since my back is fine, but I am throwing this out there just in case. Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

Hi dizzynyc.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

We are so happy you’ve found some useful resources here!

I am sorry to hear of your shoulder pain, and glad that you’ve reached out to Nest already for a layer exchange.

It’s not really possible for us to “diagnose” a cause for your shoulder pain because there are many variables that could be involved, especially as this pain has been problematic across mattress models. Plus, there are a number of factors to consider such as your body type, variations of your sleeping positions, your sensitivity to pressure issues, and many others but post #2 here and post #6 here and post #45 here may give you some insights about what may be happening. The odds are good though that your shoulders aren’t sinking in enough to allow your torso to make firmer contact with the mattress and relieve pressure on your shoulders. Your pillow and your mattress protector or anything else you are using on top of the mattress (such as a mattress pad or topper) and even your sheets can have an effect as well.

It’s possible a softer comfort layer will be the solution here.

You can always test to see if you have a “softer” sleeping experience by moving your mattress to the floor and sleeping on it without the box spring for a few nights.

I look forward to any questions or updates you may have!
NikkiTMU