Palmpring Mattress

Thank you again for your amazing website. Have you heard of Palmpring in Los Angeles? Any thoughts on the quality/value? We really desire a natural or organic mattress with the least amount of chemicals.

Our favorite mattress is the Airloom Montreaux (Sit n’ Sleep) but they want around $6k for a King. This mattress has a cotton layer on top of the latex to make it more comfortable which may be why this is our favorite. It would be great to get a similar mattress from a local manufacturer (Orange County, LA, San Diego). We tried Foam Sweet Foam but didnt find them nearly as comfortable.

Please share your thoughts, Adam

Hi adamjaybernstein,

Yes … I think that Palmpring is a very interesting manufacturer. You can read a little about their history and background here.

They use good quality materials in their mattresses (natural latex and organic coir, cotton, and wool) and they certainly have no “weak links”.

From a value perspective based on materials they are a little on the costly side but still “fair value” IMO although not in the “best” value range. They are also somewhat unique though in terms of their construction and materials and this is also part of their value. For someone who was looking for natural or organic materials in their mattress and the combination of the feel and performance of one of their mattresses in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) was better than other similar options they had tried, then they would certainly make a better choice than most of the mainstream mattresses or major brands that most people end up purchasing.

I think the feel of this mattress would be a combination of all the layers not just the cotton but unfortunately Aireloom doesn’t disclose meaningful or complete information about the materials in their mattress. The prices are certainly outrageous IMO considering the type of materials that they use (polyfoam, memory foam, latex) … especially if you are being forced to make a blind purchase about the quality of the mattress because without complete information about the quality of the materials in a mattress there is no way to make any kind of meaningful quality or value assessment or compare it to other mattresses.

I can only speak to the quality or value of a mattress (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) and your own personal testing will tell you more than anything I could say about the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP but at least you have some good options available in the San Diego area. I would also make sure you have read post #1 here which includes some guidelines that can help you test mattresses more carefully and objectively because “comfort testing” based on the more subjective “showroom feel” of a mattress has very low odds of making the most suitable choice (probably less than random chance alone).

Phoenix

Thank you for your continued support… you are really doing a great thing by helping all of us ‘formerly’ clueless consumers.