PangeaBed Copper Mattress?

Does anyone have any experience with the PangeaBed Copper mattress? They have a big promo now, $125 off plus $50 Amazon gift card. I’m wonder what your thoughts on durability and comfort would be? I’m mostly a side sleeper, sometimes back sleeper, so that’s the type of comfort and support I’m interested in. In comparison, I’m also looking at the Nest Love & Sleep Mattress mattress as a less expensive option. The Energex foam seems really interesting, but I can’t seem to find any info on how it performs in comparison to Latex, like in the PangeaBed mattress.

PangeaBed Copper mattress specs from manufacturer website:
Cover: 5/8″ Soft Foam Quilted Cover
Our beautiful soft foam quilted cover brings an elegance to our superior design. Embracing quality craftsmanship with a desirable hypoallergenic material, it’s as comfy as it looks.
The 5/8″ Soft Foam Quilting within our cover is CertiPUR-US® Certified

Top Layer: 1.5" Copper Infused 100% Pure Talalay Latex
The ultimate cool and breathable anti-bacterial, non-allergenic layer. Sleep cooler and cleaner on a mattress that’s the perfect complement to your healthy lifestyle.

Talalay Latex “The Gold Standard” of Latex is the most natural durable, cushioning material available with an uplifting feel both luxurious and healthy. 33% more pressure relief than conventional foam that reduces high pressure areas for better circulation, reducing tossing and turning. Naturally hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. 4x’s more breathable than memory foam or synthetic Dunlop process latex. 3x’s more durable than synthetic Dunlop process latex due to its open cell structure.
Our Copper Infused 100% Pure Talalay Latex is Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 Certified.

Transition Layer: 1.5" PangeaBed™ Cool Gel
Our PangeaBed™ Cool Gel is an exceptionally manufactured 3lb. per square foot gel infused phase change memory foam. It is formulated to our design teams demanding specifications to further reduce pressure points, preventing tossing and turning while providing a cool and comfortable sleeping environment.
Our PangeaBed™ Cool Gel is CertiPUR-US® Certified.

Base Layer: 7" PangeaBed™ Support Foam
Our high quality foam supports and contours to a sleeper’s body weight, making it the preferred base for our premium mattress. We only use a solid core base NEVER a convoluted core base. The process of convoluting a base offers less support and durability, but it is used by many, since it is cheaper and not readily noticed but a consumer. But we know better!! We Only use the very best components within all our PangeaBed™ mattresses.
Our PangeaBed™ Support Foam is CertiPUR-US® Certified.
(Pangea customer support says it’s 1.8 lb poly)

Nest Bedding Love and Sleep mattress specs from manufacturer website:
1" Phase Change Cooling Cover
3" 2.8 lb Energex Cooling Comfort Layer
1" SmartFlow Air Flow Layer
6" 1.8 Density Edge Support Base Foam

All foams are certified CertiPUR-US certified.

USA Made with durable certified components, built to last.

Hi Han Shot First,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am not familiar with Pangeabed. They were incorporated in April of 2016, and are one of over now 100 bed-in-a-box online companies. While their mattresses are made in the USA, I’m not sure of the source of their polyfoams. Their latex is from Talalay Global.

Can you help me with where you found the detailed descriptions of each layer of foam in the Pangeabed? I can’t find that on their web site. Was that from a chat transcript? Or are you affiliated with Pangeabed?

For the Pangeabed, you’d want to find out the density of the 5/8" of polyfoam in the quilt, but even if it is lower in density it’s a smaller amount. The 1.5" of Talalay latex is a good quality material, but they don’t list the ILD (not important for quality). The 1.5" of memory foam is 3 lb., and that’s a lower quality than I would recommend. If their 7" polyfoam core is 1.8 lb. as you stated, that would be good and the minimum I would recommend. Overall I would advise caution with this mattress using the 3 lb. memory foam. You can read more about my recommendations of foam densities in the durability guidelines here.

The Nest Bedding Love & Sleep Mattress mattress is a newer entry in the budget range, and does offer one of the better values in the lower price points. Regarding the foams, the Energex polyfoam is a good quality 2.8 lb. polyfoam that does allow for better repositioning than memory foam, and it is more breathable. There is more about some of these newer high performance polyfoams here in post #2. It is not meant to be like latex. The 1" SmartFlow Air Flow layer is 2 lb. polyfoam, and the 6" core is 1.8 lb. as you already know. The quality of these foams are good and I would only have concerns for those in the 200 pounds or above range, as the base foam of 1.8 lb. would be lower than I would recommend for higher weight ranges.

Nest Bedding is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

These mattresses are different styles of products, marketed to different segments, with the Love and Sleep being a good value in the budget range.

I hope that helps you a bit with the differences between the two products.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Thanks for all the useful info.

Not affiliated with PangeaBed in any way, just a consumer. :slight_smile: I found the mattress layer info by going to the FAQ on the company website and clicking on the Mattress & Pillows button near the bottom. I just happened to stumble upon it, but it’s a lot more detailed than the main page.

I talked to one of the owners/partners directly and he said the latex is blended, though I don’t know the percentages. That’s a little misleading when they claim 100% Pure Latex, I assumed they mean 100% natural. Don’t quote me on this, but I want to say the cover is 1.8 memory foam.

The fact that they are a new company is a concern and their warranty allows for up to 1 1/2" indentation as opposed to most other mattress companies offering warranty coverage after 1 " indentation. That made me worry about material quality and durability.

The reason I compared the PangeaBed Copper to the Love & Sleep Mattress mattress is because PangeaBed discontinued their Classic mattress and when I inquired, the owner offered the Copper version to me for the same price, $645 + $50 Amazon gift card. That brought it down to make both mattresses comparable in price.

One caution about the PangeaBed warranty is that you are responsible for shipping costs. I haven’t seen that with some of the other mattress companies.

I’ve noticed a number of online mattress companies make you pay shipping costs on the warranty, around $99 each way in most cases.

Hi Han Shot First,

Thanks for the reply and the information. I missed clicking on that specific link – I appreciate it!

I know this can be a bit confusing, and Pure Latex Bliss (now Pure Talalay Bliss, part of Talalay Global) was one of the worst offenders in their naming of their latex. They used to call their blended Talalay “Natural Talalay” and their 100% NR Talalay “100% Natural Talalay”. The copper infused would most likely be a blended Talalay – a very high quality material.

You’re correct that it is a very low density memory foam – below the 3 lb. they use in the transition layer – but I don’t know the density, as they wouldn’t share that with me. While it’s “less than an inch or so”, I’d still want to know.

1.5 inches for body impressions has been the “industry standard” for quite some time. You will see some mattresses using higher quality materials (HD and HR polyfoam, latex, better memory foams) offer a 1" or even .5" body impression limit. While a larger limit “could” be a reflection on the quality of componentry used within a mattress, the only way to know for sure would be to learn about the density of the foams in each layer, as we discussed in my last post in the durability guidelines here .

Phoenix

Hi mattressing,

Actually, having the consumer be responsible for shipping fees with warranty returns has been part of the “standard boilerplate” of most mattress warranties for decades. Some mattress companies do choose to build in shipping fees and potential warranty return shipping rates into their overall pricing as a “fixed cost”, where everyone in effect subsidizes the few who unfortunately might have an issue. And you’re also seeing some mattress companies require you to donate or dispose of a mattress on your own that is either exchanged or deemed a warranty defect, which also eliminates the need for shipping fees.

Phoenix