paralysis by analysis

Phoenix, like most other consumers I have reached the paralysis by analysis stage of mattress purchasing. I think I’ve come to the conclusion after much review and research, including your very supportive resources, that I’m interested in a hybrid mattress. The two I’m interested in the most are the WinkBed and the Helix. I prefer latex as opposed to memory foam in terms of comfort. However, I’m a larger person than average and I’m worried about durability. My question is which of these two beds is the more durable? Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Hi Bstephen,

It may be worthwhile testing some different types of mattresses in stores to get a general sense of the types of mattresses or materials you tend to prefer because you won’t be able to tell what a mattress is likely to “feel” like based on reading about specs and this may be contributing to your “paralysis by analysis”.

Unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and specs and different layering combinations and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would only be a very small percentage of people) … I would avoid using individual specs such as layer thicknesses or ILD numbers or other complex combinations of information or specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you or how it will compare to another mattress and focus more on your own actual testing and/or personal experience and if this isn’t possible then on more detailed conversations with a knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer.

While knowing the specs that can affect the quality and durability of the layers and components in a mattress is always important … when you try and choose or compare a mattress based on complex combinations of “comfort” specs that you may not fully understand then the most common outcome can often be “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”. Even the best mattress designers in the industry are often surprised at what a mattress they design “should have felt like” when they design it and what it “actually feels like” when they test out their new design.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and any firmness level options they have to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

There is more about the different types or categories of mattresses in this article. Winkbed is a pocket coil mattress with a polyfoam comfort layer (not a hybrid which is generally an innerspring with latex or memory foam) and the Helix is really in an “other” category since it includes a polyfoam support core with polyfoam, microcoil, and Dunlop latex layers on top of it.

There is more about Winkbeds and Helix along with many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post#2 here in the simplified choice topic (and it would probably be worthwhile reading the first post in the same topic) but if you are in a higher weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) I would be cautious with both of them.

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

While the process of how to choose a mattress would be the same … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for your response. I will read your recommended posts for further clarity.