Parklane mattress question

Hi Phoenix,

Long time lurker on your site; appreciate your willingness to share your insights to those of us in need a good night’s sleep. I know your thoughts on Parklane and had the opportunity to spend 90 minutes in their showroom. I’m wondering if you’d be willing to share your thoughts on their Hawthorne mattress. Specifically, I’d appreciate your thoughts on the build and material qualities for what amounts to a $1,750 king mattress. We’re currently going the internet mattress route (sleeping on a Leesa but we’re looking at returning it in favor of a BB BME) but I’m not sure how much longer we’re willing to be uncomfortable before we find a mattress we like, if ever.

The specs on the Hawthorne mattress provided from Parklane are as follows:
(Starting from the bottom the mattress)
We use a nonskid fabric on the bottom of the mattress. This is grey in color. On top of that is a 2" foam base 1.5 density. Next up is a 4" piece of 2 pound density foam core. Directly on top of that are the 2 ½" Mini Marshall coils and they have a 15.5 gauge wire. The coil count is 1680. We do not have these foam encased, so they span the entire width of the mattress. On top of the Mini coils we have one 1" piece of firm Natural Talalay Latex. We use no blends and nothing synthetic in our Latex. Next up is a 2" piece of 5 pound Memory Foam from HSM. In our top fabric panel we quilt the fabric with a rayon/polyester blend FR material (see attached) and one ¾" layer of quilt foam which is 1.5 density 16IFD. If you add the layers I have provided, you will see the bed is approximately 12" thick.

I am 6’3", 225lbs, and sleep primarily on my side but sometimes on my back and stomach. My partner is 5’6", 120lbs, and sleeps primarily on her side. We’ve had difficulty finding a mattress that is soft enough for her, yet supportive enough for me. The memory foam over latex/innersprings in the Hawthorne seems to be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for all the good work.

Nick

Hi RNB,

[quote] I’m wondering if you’d be willing to share your thoughts on their Hawthorne mattress. Specifically, I’d appreciate your thoughts on the build and material qualities for what amounts to a $1,750 king mattress. We’re currently going the internet mattress route (sleeping on a Leesa but we’re looking at returning it in favor of a BB BME) but I’m not sure how much longer we’re willing to be uncomfortable before we find a mattress we like, if ever.

The specs on the Hawthorne mattress provided from Parklane are as follows:
(Starting from the bottom the mattress)
We use a nonskid fabric on the bottom of the mattress. This is grey in color. On top of that is a 2" foam base 1.5 density. Next up is a 4" piece of 2 pound density foam core. Directly on top of that are the 2 ½" Mini Marshall coils and they have a 15.5 gauge wire. The coil count is 1680. We do not have these foam encased, so they span the entire width of the mattress. On top of the Mini coils we have one 1" piece of firm Natural Talalay Latex. We use no blends and nothing synthetic in our Latex. Next up is a 2" piece of 5 pound Memory Foam from HSM. In our top fabric panel we quilt the fabric with a rayon/polyester blend FR material (see attached) and one ¾" layer of quilt foam which is 1.5 density 16IFD. If you add the layers I have provided, you will see the bed is approximately 12" thick.[/quote]

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of “comfort” and PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here (which you have done … thank you) so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern or compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress you are considering before making any purchase.

All of the layers and components of the Hawthorne mattress you listed are good quality and durable materials and components that either meet or exceed the quality/durability guidelines that I would normally suggest so since there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the Hawthorne relative to your weight range (or even higher weight ranges) … if you are confident that it’s a good “match” for both of you in terms of PPP based on your careful testing and it compares well to any other finalists that you are also looking at then IMO it would certainly be well worth serious consideration as your final choice.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. Appreciate your advice.

I purchased the Hawthorne mattress last night and won’t have it for another week (it’s being built) so i can’t speak to the mattress itself. What I can speak to is the very impressive customer service I’ve received from Parklane. From the zero-pressure, knowledgeable salesman in the Salem store to the incredibly detailed and transparent information provided in response to my questions regarding the mattress components and construction, I could not be more impressed.

Hi RNB,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about Parklane and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix