Parklane Mattresses Latex with plant-based foam core, or innerspring.... need firm, no sag

I purchased the Aurora from Parklane… plant foam core, 2 layers of latex topped with memory foam. It feels like it is sagging when hubby and I are near each other… it dips down (feels like, even though it’s brand new). Have had some back aches, but maybe just adjusting to it. Still, I think I am going to return it and exchange it.
We are used to firm mattresses and I think I feel best on this, though I sleep side, back and occasionally stomach. I am around 100lbs. and hubby around 200lbs.

I like the Breeze a lot, which is not all latex… it’s 6 inches of “plant based core” and 2 layers of latex… total of 9inches.

The Riverside is just a really firm, no frills 11inch innerspring. I like that the Riverside doesn’t bounce around… seems very stable.

I like the Breeze’s eco friendly qualities and even though it is very firm, the top feels more cushioned than the Riverside. But the sales gal says the Breeze is the same mattress I have now just without the memory foam top. It feels SO much firmer than the bed I have now… and seems like it would not sag with us both near the center, but I can only exchange once, so I need to get it right!

OH, and need a KIng size. Any experience with this company and either of these products?

Hi Strumbelina,

Parklane is an invited manufacturing member of this site which means that I believe they are among the best quality and value in the country. I think very highly of them.

In terms of the three mattresses you are looking at … The Riverside is a more traditional innerspring (offset) polyfoam mattress, the Aurora that you have has a polyfoam support core with a mixture of memory foam and latex in the comfort layers and the Breeze has a thinner comfort layer with just the latex and no memory foam. It also says that it has an engineered polyfoam support core (which could mean many things including that it is zoned) which may be different from the Aurora which doesn’t mention “engineered” (but could be the same).

In terms of motion transfer the Aurora with the memory foam would be slightly better than the Breeze which in turn would be better than the Riverside (which has a polyfoam comfort layer and linked coils underneath).

With a weight differential as large as the two of you have it’s not so much that its sagging as it is that your husband is creating a “valley shaped” impression that would extend towards you when he is closer to you. This type of impression is fairly typical of polyfoam base layer because it is not as “point elastic” as a latex base layer although any mattress can do this to some extent depending on the weight difference and on how close to you he is. A pocket coil support core may also be worth considering because compression affects the surrounding area less. Firmer support layers or components will also do this less than softer support layers and the thickness of the comfort layers along with the type of material will also make a difference as well.

I don’t know the specific details of each layer, material, and component they use so I would use your own testing (with both of you on the mattress for at least 15 minutes) to test for this along with their more specific suggestions to see which mattress would be best to prevent “roll together” (as well as the other needs and preferences you have). They are much more knowledgeable and experienced than I am about the specifics of the mattresses they sell.

A “firm” mattress can be many things depending on whether you are talking about the firmness of the comfort layers or the firmness of the support layers or components. Post #15 here (and another post it links to) has more about the different “types” or what I call 'species" of firmness and how they each play a different role in a mattress. In your case you may need some softness in the comfort layers to relieve pressure and isolate motion but you may also need a little more firmness in the support layers underneath or a different type of material or component to reduce “roll together”.

The Breeze may also feel firmer and be more supportive because there is less distance between you and the firmer support layer. For the same reason it may also be a little less pressure relieving because its missing the extra inch of thickness in the comfort layer (the memory foam layer).

Both the Breeze and the Aurora use “plant based” foam which are not really that “eco friendly” but at least are a small step in a good direction. You can read more about them in post #2 here). The Breeze also uses an organic cotton cover.

The main reason that the Breeze feels firmer than the Aurora is that with the inch of memory foam missing in the comfort layer you are 'going through" the comfort layer more and feeling more of the firmer support layer below it. The thickness of a comfort layer is just as an important part of how soft it feels and its pressure relieving qualities as the softness of the comfort layer (and some of the other “specs” that are connected to different types of materials are part of this as well).

My guess is that you may have a similar “roll together” issue because the support layer in both is likely the same (they could confirm this) and you would be sinking into it even more.

If this is an important issue for you I would make sure that you test for this very carefully (with both of you on the mattress for at least 15 minutes fully relaxed, wearing light clothing, and in all your sleeping positions) and this along with their experience and guidance will help you make the best possible choice to minimize the “roll together” that you are experiencing.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise on this! The gal at Parklane told me that the Breeze is the same mattress as the Aurora with the exception of it not having the top memory foam layer.
When I tested out the other beds with latex in them, I experienced the “dipping” sensation even with just myself in them (except for the Breeze… that one feels like a futon mattress). I know I don’t like that sensation and that with my husband in the bed with me, it would be even more pronounced for the reasons you stated. Typically I like feeling “on top” of a mattress as opposed to “in” it. I cannot sleep on soft mattresses, even though I am a little person… they kill my back… so that rules out the pocketed coil mattresses as they are all plush at Parklane. I also do not like memory foam in general. I have gotten used to the temp difference in the Aurora… in fact when I am laying in bed alone, I really like the Aurora (or when hubby scoots over). My back aches are slowly getting better with each day, I think… so I may be adjusting to the softer feel of the Aurora over my old mattress. BUT… I still worry about it getting softer as it continues to break in, and also the rolling together issue. It’s too bad, b/c I think it’s a GREAT mattress and it is SO comfy! I just don’t know if it will do for the long haul.

That said, my other options are pretty limited at Parklane. The only firm option they have is either the Breeze, the Whistler (which is a LOT of $$), and the Riverside— the other firm options either have memory foam or latex bouncy layer.

And I am wondering if it will be better to go with the Riverside and get a topper later if needed, but I will do the testing again, if I can drag hubby in there one more time. :slight_smile:

Hi Strumbelina,

Their description seems to indicate the same thing but of course they would know much more about their own mattresses than I do. It’s amazing to many people how much of a difference a single layer can make.

This “dipping” sensation or the compression of the surface layers and the “cradle” that it makes is part of how a mattress relieves pressure. Different types of materials compress differently from each other and the firmness of the support layers also helps determine the depth of the pressure relieving cradle as well and how far “down” into the mattress your heavier areas will sink. It may be that you need a little firmer support layer (or a little thinner comfort layer) so that you still sink into the comfort layers enough to relieve pressure but your hips are “stopped” from sinking down a little sooner. In the most basic of terms … mattresses are always a balance between the “feel” and softness of the comfort layers along with the “feel” and firmness of the support layers. Inside this basic idea there are almost infinite ways to change how each mattress feels and performs using different combinations. the goal is always to let your body tell you which combination of materials produces the best possible PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) because mattress design can be far too complex to go by the “theory” of mattress design alone.

I would personally avoid choosing a mattress that you thought would need a topper and get as close as you possiblye can with the options you have in the store. Choosing a topper where you haven’t tested it in combination with the mattress you have can be as confusing and frustrating sometimes as choosing a mattress.

The more objectively you can test for your specific needs and preferences in the store … the better off you will be and the less fine tuning you will need to do after you have purchased or exchanged a mattress.

Phoenix

Well I went back to Parklane and one of the guys there was very helpful. He listened to me and understood my concerns about the Aurora. He showed me the Crestwood and helped me narrow it down between that and the Irvington… though the Marquam is a nice bed, too, for a whole lot less $$.

Anyway, my husband thinks we need the firmest thing we can get so as not to have the roll together issue (but we are not really rolling together so much as dipping down into the mattress-- he more than me b/c he weighs more). Anyway now I am confused because since I last posted, I am now sleeping better than I have in months and months… maybe years! The back pain I was feeling from the Aurora has mostly subsided— though I still have some pain in my lower back–esp. behind my right hip… not on the side of my hip but the back flank area… and it is definitely musculoskeletal discomfort as opposed to kidney or something more internal than that, and that particular pain is new since the Aurora. My only other complaint is that I wake on my back (which told the Parklane guy I am primarily a back sleeper despite going to sleep on my side), and my back is quite warm… even sometimes a little sweaty-like. It’s winter, so I worry what this will be like in the summer. I am usually so cold natured, and when I first get in the bed I like that I don’t feel freezing cold like I used to and I don’t have to start sleeping with sweat pants and a long sleeved shirt on and then pull them off when I get hot… but I do worry about the bed sleeping hot in the future as I get older.
That said, I am not sure what to do now. I can’t say I don’t love the Aurora for helping me to get such great sleep… which is showing itself in other significant health related improvements. So while I worry about the lower back pain and sleeping hot, I am afraid to exchange this mattress now!
What should I do? Could my body just need more time to adjust to the mattress as far as the lower back pain goes, or does that pain sound like an indication that my rear/hips are sinking too far into the mattress? Remember I am of slight build, so 2 inches of memory foam (4 lb. “cool sleep” kind) may be too much for me? 2 inches is a significant portion of my girth… less so on someone of medium to larger build.
As far as sleeping hot, should I just wear cotton jammies, use the fan (which I enjoy anyway) and hope it doesn’t get worse with age… as it is tolerable now and hardly an issue right now?

Or do I take a chance on the Crestwood, Irvington or Marquam? All of those have latex in the top layers… the Marquam and Irvington only having 1 inch of it… the Crestwood having 3.
I do know now I do not want a “hard” bed. I don’t want a soft one, either, but I have to believe the “cushiness” of the Aurora is in part contributing to my good night’s sleep.

Hi Strumbelina,

While I certainly can’t tell you what to do because I can’t feel what you are feeling or see you on the mattress (and I would pay much more attention to what the people at Parklane are suggesting because they know their own mattresses better than I do, are right there and can listen to you in “real time”, can have a more detailed conversation with you than is possible on a forum, and can see you in person on the mattress) … I can make a few quick comments.

If you are having back pain it’s usually an indication of an alignment issue somewhere in the general area of the pain. While there are many possible reasons that are not possible to determine for certain without seeing you or knowing more information than a forum can provide … the most likely possibility is that the mattress may be “almost right” but just a little bit too soft so you are sinking down a little too far before your pelvis is “stopped” and stretching muscles or ligaments too much or some part of your muscloskeletal system is not in its neutral alignment. This could mean a comfort layer that needs to be a little thinner or firmer or a support layer that needs to be a bit firmer. In either case if this turns out to be the issue they could give you good advice about which mattress would have the best odds of working for you (although I would not tend to make an exchange quite this quickly so you can see if there is any improvement still to come). As you mentioned for someone that is very light then thinner layers of softer foam including memory foam can have a bigger effect as far as how far your heavier parts are sinking down.

I can also tell you that it will take up to 90 days for a mattress to break in and for you to go through any adjustments to a new sleeping surface although this mostly happens in the first 30 days (and it sounds like this has already made a difference for you).

I would be careful with this because it may be a matter of the type of components or materials as much as the overall firmness and just “where” it needs to be firmer (or even softer) just as much as the firmness of the layers. If you go too firm then you may introduce other issues. “Blanket” or more generalized solutions such as “just get something firmer” can often cause more issues than they solve. There are many technical ways to help solve some of these issues connected with larger weight differentials, especially if a couple sleeps close together (see post #2 here for some of the basic concepts), but rather than get into all the complexities of it and turn you into a mattress designer … the best way to know is for both of you to test the mattress together in the same way you sleep. I know it may be a bit embarrasing to “snuggle up” in a mattress showroom for 15 minutes or more (although it could be fun :)) but it’s much better to be a little embarrased than to have years of discomfort by choosing a mattress that doesn’t “work” for you. Couples should always test mattresses together in the way they usually sleep together before buying anything.

You can read about the many different factors that affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here and in post #29 here. as you mentioned the Aurora has 2" of memory foam on top which could be part of the issue (memory foam is more insulating than latex for example and you sink into it more) but your mattress protector (see post #89 here) and sheets and anything else in between you and the mattress and your bedding could also be playing a role in this as well as the softness of the mattress (you sink in further into softer mattresses which means there is more foam insulation around you).

What type of mattress protector do you have and what type of sheets?

Latex won’t generally be as warm as memory foam although the top foam in the mattress isn’t the only factor and the mattress ticking and quilting, the mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding will all have a combined effect on temperature. latex also comes in softer versions so if you do decide to go in this direction then you would likely do best with a mattress that has similar pressure relieving qualities for you (the cushiness you are mentioning) as the Aurora even though the "feel’ will be different. It’s quite possible that yo are quite close to what you need and that either a little longer adjustment or a mattress with just a little bit less “cush” would likely do the trick both from a pain/discomfort point of view and a temperature point of view.

Phoenix

Looking forward to purchasing a Parklane Aurora mattress after 35 years sleeping on different types of waterbeds. The only drawback is, since the company is located in Oregon, the delivery charge to Olympia, WA is about $400! We plan on renting a van in Oregon to transport it ourselves. However, if the mattress needs to be returned or exchanged, we will need to do the same in reverse. Kind of expensive & time-consuming, so I certainly hope it ends up being worth it.

Hi Kenai,

They are certainly good value but mattresses that need truck freight are also expensive to ship so I would probably do the same thing. I would also spend lots of time in the showroom making sure the mattress was suitable for your needs and preferences (see this article for testing for pressure relief and this article and post #11 here for testing for alignment.

Make sure you wear loose thin clothing that won’t interfere with the mattress, that you test the mattress with any sleeping partner, and that you use a suitable pillow when you are testing (either your own or one from the store). Your testing should be a minimum of 15 minutes AFTER you are completely relaxed and in a pre-sleep state and should test both for pressure relief and alignment in all your regular sleeping positions.

Careful and “accurate” testing can help minimize the risk of needing to do an exchange.

You seem to be set on an Aurora … have you already tested it so you know it’s your best choice?

Phoenix

Hi, Phoenix…Wow, I didn’t expect a personal reply! Thank you for your thoughtful interest in my specific situation!!

I visited the Hazel Dell Parklane store about 10 days ago, spending a lot of time testing out primarily two mattresses - the Aurora & Arcadia. I felt fortunate to be the only customer in the store at the time, with full access to Elizabeth, the salesperson. I actually spoke with her on the phone earlier that day & this in-person experience confirmed my impression of her as extremely knowledgeable & genuinely interested in assisting to identify the best, as opposed to most expensive, mattress.

My main concerns with this type of mattress are 1) heat buildup & 2) foam recoverabilty, so as not to impede changing positions. Also, I plan to put it on a waterbed solid platform & wonder if this will provide sufficient ventilation. I read your post re: bed rugs, but it it seems that those would just be squished under the weight of the mattress. Thoughts?

The top benefit seems to be longevity (vs innerspring with moving parts that wear down more rapidly) for the same price.

I plan to go back this weekend to monopolize the Aurora mattress until I’m confident whether or not it is right for me!

Thanks…Kenai

Hi Kenai,

The Aurora has a fairly thin 2" layer of more breathable memory foam on top with latex underneath it so it would tend to be cooler than a thicker layer of memory foam in the comfort layers of your mattress but of course not as cool as sleeping on latex (memory foam is not as breathable as latex). It would also have a combination of the slow response of memory foam and the fast response of latex which for many people is a very nice “feel” because it would be more “motion friendly” and responsive than a thicker memory foam layer.

For those that are unfortunate enough to have a bed bug infestation a mattress won’t squish them but the type of foundation won’t make any difference with bed bugs.

Dust mites though are a different matter because these are unavoidable and exist everywhere so it’s more a matter of creating an environment that is less friendly to them (they need a warm humid environment for moisture and food).

You can see some of my thoughts about a solid platform vs a slatted or grid foundation in Post #7 here and post #9 here which talk more about this and the possible extra risk of dust mites, mold, and mildew. While I would tend towards a slatted base if there was a choice … in many cases such as an adjustable bed (which I own) a solid platform is unavoidable and in most cases it would be fine. If many factors combined to increase risk of higher humidity and mold, mildew, and dust mites (humid environment, sleeping in a basement, sleeping in warmer temperatures etc) … then the extra risk of all of these together may be a little more cause for concern. If your waterbed has wooden sides that are tight to the sides of the mattress then this would also decrease the ventilation of the mattress and allow moisture to build up more and would be a “factor” that also increased the risk.

The “weak link” of most mattresses are the foam layers on top of the innersprings not the innersprings themselves. If you cut a mattress open that is sagging or has softened in almost all cases the innersprings will still be fine (or any deeper support layers in the mattress including polyfoam) and it will be the foams on top which will be the issue. Latex is the most durable foam material and the density of the memory foam layer will be the biggest factor in its durability (4 lb memory foam is less durable than 5 lb but many people also prefer the faster response and greater ventilation of many 4 lb memory foam). Both the Aurora and Arcadia have the same comfort layers so they would be very similar in terms of durability (you can read about the factors that affect durability in post #2 here). The different support layers and components will have a different type of response and “feel” though.

That sounds like a good plan … and they certainly do have good value … and service :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi, Phoenix…Thanks, again, for all the additional info. There is one clarification I need to make, though.

“For those that are unfortunate enough to have a bed bug infestation a mattress won’t squish them but the type of foundation won’t make any difference with bed bugs.”

The “bed rugs” was not a typo!! I was referring to another post on the forum about mattress ventilation, in which you mentioned the Rest Saavy Bed Rug. From their site:

"The bed rug is a one-inch mat made of coconut fiber (coir) impregnated with natural latex. The bed rug is porous and allows air to circulate between the bottom of a mattress and a platform bed’s surface. It is strongly recommended for breathability under any foam mattress on a solid-platform bed. Where inadequate air circulation is a concern, a bed rug may be advisable on a slatted platform.

“We recommend adding two bed rugs under any mattress placed on the floor–or in any environment where moisture or excess humidity are a concern–for better air circulation.”

Just wanted to clarify that I DO NOT have bed bugs!!! :S

Kenai :slight_smile:

Hi Kenai,

Oops … I completely misread this and thought you were confusing bed bugs with dust mites. It’s amazing the effect a single letter can have :slight_smile:

My apologies.

Yes … I have suggested this on many occasions to provide some ventilation under a latex mattress on a solid surface and I think it can be a good idea to lower the risk that can come with ventilation issues. It is quite firm and there wouldn’t be an issue with it “squishing”.

Again … thanks for the clarification and now things make more sense! Bed rugs are a good idea when the situation calls for them … bed bugs are “NEVER” a good situation.

Phoenix

Hi, Phoenix…I spent about an hour testing out the Aurora last weekend & just wasn’t convinced. So, I checked out the Seneca next to it & decided to go that route instead. The all latex comfort layers seemed a better choice than the memory foam that was warmer & had slower recovery to changes in position. While I would have preferred it come with the foam encased edge support, I don’t spend time sitting on the edge of the bed, so it didn’t seem as relevant. We pick it up next weekend, Thanks…Nancy

Hi Kenai,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I know sometimes from personal experience that it can be a tough choice between the “feel” of a mattress in a showroom and some of its other qualities that can be important in your longer term experience but I think you made a great choice.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix