Parklane

First off, I am so glad that I found this site. It has been a wealth of information and a breath of fresh air. I’m in the Portland, OR area and have had a horrible time selecting a mattress at the usual retail chain stores. High pressure sales and mountains of misinformation has made the process quite unpleasant.

But after reading this site, and armed with a little knowledge we have found our way to Parklane Mattress. It was a nice experience and we came away with a couple of options. While reviewing many of the previous months and years worth of posts regarding this company I have found that there are always name changes on the models. It appears this has happened again, and while I love reading the posts and thoughts from everyone regarding said mattresses, it makes it difficult when the model names have changed and I can no longer look up via the search function the thoughts on a few different models.

So with that in mind and with a little bit of hope, I decided to post this message to see if anyone could comment on the materials used/quality of the three pieces we have selected as what would accomodate us.

The three models in question From Parklane are: The Thurman, The Glisan, and the Latex Macadam.

The Glisan: Explore Our Portland Mattress Stores | BedMart
The Thurman: Explore Our Portland Mattress Stores | BedMart
The Macadam: Explore Our Portland Mattress Stores | BedMart

I have included the cards to show what each layer is, although this is partly what my question is because I haven’t the foggiest idea what each layer or quality of each layer is. All of this sounds so greek to me. I was hoping someone could comment on this.

While we did like the Glisan I think the best as far as comfort goes, I believe this one might be a little on the too soft side for myself. The wife pretty much likes the full memory foam bed, but I think I’m leaning towards the cheaper memory foam/no gel/over latex as I feel I would not be sinking or dipping as much, but I am scared that with the price difference this bed would be of lesser quality. I do know that price is not always indicative of quality, but it does make you think.

So I guess I will start there and we appreciate any responses we may get as to the quality/layer make up of these beds.

Hi dinger928,

Most manufacturers will change their models from time to time and this is one of the reasons why it’s so important to deal with manufacturers who are transparent so you can find out the details of the materials in any mattress they make so you can make more informed decisions.

I don’t know the details of the materials in the mattresses you are looking at and its always best to ask these types of questions directly to the manufacturer because they know more than anyone about the details and “quality specs” of the materials they are using.

Once you know the thickness of the layers and the details of the layers (density in the case of memory foam or polyfoam and the type and blend of any latex they are using) then it will be possible to use the information on the site (including in the mattresses section) or post the details here to identify any potential “weak links” in any of the mattresses and make meaningful quality comparisons between them.

You can test for comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment and which materials and mattress designs you prefer and of course this is always a major part of any purchase but you can’t “feel” quality when you test mattresses which is what determines how well it is likely to resist the softening and breakdown of the materials which leads to the loss of comfort and support over time and is the biggest part of the durability of a mattress.

Phoenix

great site~ lots of info~

I called to ask about the Thurman mattress.

it has 5" Plant Based Foam Core density 2lb
1 Layer of CoolSleep Memory Foam 2" 4lb
2 Layers of 100% Talalay Latex, 1" each layer 5lb

do you think this is good for me? i’m a side sleeper, weight about 136lb

thanks

Hi Hadouken,

As you can see in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here … your own personal testing and experience is really the only way to know with any certainty whether a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I can certainly tell you though that the materials are good quality, there are no obvious weak links in the mattress (poor quality materials that will compress or break down quickly) and like all the Parklane mattresses has very good value.

Phoenix