Perform mattress surgery with latex foam or buy a new all latex mattress

Hi All,

First time post, been following these forums for a while. We have a 3 year old Stearns and Fosters English Meadow luxury firm we bought from Macys. Good for the first few years now it has body impressions and I am waking up with low and mid back pain daily. I’m not going to bother with the whole warranty route as that seems like a waste of time and money (not to mention I will never buy a 3s mattress again!).

Very interested in an all latex mattress. I tried an pure latex bliss nature mattress at a local store and it was great. After reading the forums I know I can get an online retailer (ex. flobeds) to make me a similar mattress at a lower cost. But I feel a little guilty about throwing away a 3 year old mattress and I know the springs on the mattress are likely still good. Have read about mattress surgery and I I know I could handle swapping out the cheap PU foam with Talalay latex foam (to make an innerspring - latex mattress). Question is should I invest that extra time and money in performing surgery on our current mattress or just pull the trigger and purchase an all latex mattress? Not sure how many more years I use I can get out of the mattress if I perform surgery.

Thanks for looking,
JB

Hi ps99115,

This would really depend on each person and on what other options they have available.

If the choice is between mattress surgery and disposing of the mattress then IMO it would certainly be worth some “exploratory surgery” to check on the condition of the springs or other components to see if “mattress surgery” would be a worthwhile option.

If the innersprings are still in good condition and you are successful in removing and replacing the comfort layers that have softened or broken down with higher quality materials that are suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … which may take some trial and error … you can end up with a mattress that is higher quality and will last longer than the mattress you originally purchased at a much lower cost than replacing the complete mattress.

It will take a “spirit of adventure” and a willingness to experiment to some degree but it can be a very worthwhile project. Post #2 here has more information and links that would be well worth reading and can help you decide whether you think it would be worthwhile to at least do some exploratory surgery to see what you have to work with and decide whether you wish to go further.

Phoenix