Performasleep

Currently, I’m looking for a new mattress. I’m going to order it online because I don’t want to deal with mattress sales people. However, shopping for a mattress is SO overwhelming. Anyhow, during my searches, I came across a new mattress called Performasleep. It’s a mattress designed for athletes, but it looks like it would be a good quality mattress for anyone. It’s unique in the way it uses Enersorb foam. I’ve not seen any other bed on the market using this foam, but it seems like a high quality comfort foam, and even with the bounce of latex. Has anyone here tried this mattress?

Hi sonicfox,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly help you know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

As you stated you want to shop online, the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and memory foam and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

Post #2 here and this topic have more about the pros and cons of a local vs an online purchase.

I can’t tell if you are asking questions about the componentry in this product, or being promotional, but since this is a newer mattress that hasn’t yet been discussed on the forum I’ll do my best to provide some information.

The Performasleep website provides no meaningful information about the foam in their mattress. The top 2" layer is a gel infused polyfoam called CopperCool. Beneath that is a 2" layer of Enersorb memory foam. Beneath that is a 7" base layer of polyfoam.

For the top CopperCool layer of polyfoam, there have been healing claims made about copper for years. Here is an article that discusses that. Most of the “health benefit” claims of copper are anecdotal and often made by athletes, but in the past few years companies making claims of true health benefits or increases in performance have been fined by the FTC.

Copper is encapsulated and currently used in some foams, more for the small additional amount of heat transfer that it can provide. Copper itself is a very thermal conductive material so it would make sense that copper fiber infused foam (or other types of more advanced thermally conductive materials such as graphite) would be a little more effective than the gel that is more commonly used but it would also depend on the amount of copper that was in the foam. The copper gel is relatively new but if you know the density of the foam layers then it really doesn’t matter how new it is anyway since the density of the foam is the single biggest factor that will affect the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Enersorb foam The second layer of is a newer type of foam that has the properties of memory foam (getting softer as it gets warmer), but it has more resiliency than a traditional memory foam.

In order to assess whether a mattress was a “good quality”, you need to find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. Your best source for this information would be a phone call to Performasleep. I’ll be interested to learn if you are able gather that information.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I look forward to finding out if you’re able to gather more information about the componentry within this mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you for your detailed response, Phoenix. I’m definitely not here to promote the mattress. I just found it intriguing. I saw their video of the Enersorb foam, and it’s definitely bouncy like latex. It doesn’t behave like memory foam. Upon researching Enersorb, I only came across a manufacturer of really expensive office chairs that use it. As for the copper-infused top layer, which I assume is some sort of memory foam, I’m taking that with a grain of salt. I’m skeptical of how much the copper (if it even works!) could help with a cover and protector over it anyway. The health “benefits” remind me of magnetic bracelets. They are supposed to help circulation, yet the magnets on them barely can hold up a paperclip. Lol!

The other mattresses I’m currently debating are a DIY latex or latex/urethane foam mattress, or going with the Brooklyn Bedding, Best Mattress Ever. I’m not a big fan of memory foam. Currently, I have a 3" memory foam topper on my 15 to 20 year old inner coil REALLY firm Beautyrest, and I hate the combination.

Hi sonicfox,

No worries. :silly: I appreciate you bringing it up for everyone’s attention.

It might surprise people to learn that mattresses are a small part of the overall application of many of these foams. Office chairs are a popular use for HD polyfoams and memory foams.

While there is some validity to the heat transfer claims using minerals, the other health benefit claims are specious. For example, see this about Power Bracelets.

[quote]
The other mattresses I’m currently debating are a DIY latex or latex/urethane foam mattress, or going with the Brooklyn Bedding, Best Mattress Ever. I’m not a big fan of memory foam
[/quote].

The Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever uses a 2" blended Talalay latex layer over a 2" synthetic Dunlop latex layer, over a 6" 2.0 lb. density polyfoam core. This mattress uses higher quality materials and there are no weak links in the overall product. Brooklyn Bedding is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and their different configurations with polyfoam bases, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration.

Phoenix

Hello- I had inquired about the Performa a little while back… the base layer is 1.8 pcf and the Enersorb is a high performance polyfoam that should be a high quality and durable material although I couldn’t dig up the density (which means I didn’t have any concerns about it). Similarly, I also couldn’t find and don’t recall the specs on the copper foam but believe it’s at least 4lb and did find confirmation that it’s a fast response foam (though not as ‘bouncy’ as the Enersorb). Regardless, I think they would answer any question you might have and confirm any specs.

A number of manufacturers and “industry insiders” have also told me there’s very little to any “real world” difference between 1.8 lb and 2 lb polyfoam. cores (many of these sources used or had access to both)… some have even said a high quality 1.8 lb from one manufacturer can be more durable than a 2 lb. from another that uses less modern and/or lower quality technology/production methods… I can see how there maybe some truth to it although it’s at least somewhat arguable (especially in this forum :)).

I’m only mentioning it here because the Performa could be a good alternative for those that have had issues with “pushback” due to the resiliency of latex and/or are looking for a little less motion transfer… and don’t necessarily think the BME would be noticeably superior with respect to durability over time. To be fair, I did try the Hyphen mattress which makes similar claims and is very well constructed, but found it quite uncomfortable and essentially pressure-point inducing (instead of relieving) during the nearly 2 months I had it (they do make a topper now for those that feel it’s too firm)… Basically, personal experience is the only real way to determine if a mattress “feels” right for you. If the specs are “good enough” and the company is transparent, it might be worth a shot IMO.

All that said, I still think the BME is the best value out there and for someone looking to spend the least amount of money possible on a high-quality mattress, it’s a great choice.

Thank you so much for the information about the Performa mattress, Manimal. It’s very helpful. I think the mattress would work for me as well as the BME. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Hyphen mattress as well. This mattress shopping is overwhelming!

Hi manimal,

Thanks for providing some information about the Performa mattress!

While you may have not had any concerns about the foam personally, the density is the most important thing to know, so without that number (Enersorb is made in a variety of densities) it unfortunately isn’t possible for me to make a meaningful statement about the quality of that particular foam layer in this mattress.

Density is the best polyfoam specification we have to relate performance with regard to durability, comfort and support. While you may have spoken with a few manufacturers and “industry insiders” who have told you there is little “real world” difference between 1.8 lb. and 2.0 lb. polyfoam cores, those gathered opinions run counter to the thousands of conversations I’ve had with different foam pourers, foam fabricators, mattress manufacturers and foam chemists. There is of course truth to the statement that a poorly made version of a higher-density product can have a shorter comfort life than a better made lower-density product, but that’s of course not a normal variable to be manipulated when making statements regarding foam density and quality, with the assumption being the comparison of products that are made consistently across the board. Density directly affects durability and support. Higher density foams typically have a higher support factor, with foams with densities 2.0 lb. and above tending to better retain their original properties. And as the polymer density of the foam increases, the flex fatigue of the foam in minimized. This can especially be noticed in people with a higher BMI, which is why I recommend a 2.0 lb. density polyfoam core or above for that specific population. Of course all things are relative and a 100-pound individual might be able to sleep just fine on low-density materials, but the recommendations provided here are based upon a “preponderance of the evidence” and objective testing, as well as information supplied from a myriad of people, some of whom are acknowledged by myself and their peers as the best in the industry. Different manufacturers can have their own goals for a particular product and expectations of what is an acceptable comfort life, and within this you can of course find legitimate differences of opinion.

For those comparing, the Best Mattress Ever uses a polyfoam base that is higher quality than that used in the Performa Mattress (2.0 lb. density versus 1.8 lb.). Additionally, the Best Mattress Ever uses a total of 4" of latex in the upper comfort layers, which is a more durable / higher quality material than what is used in the Performa Mattress. All of these materials objectively would be more durable than the materials used in the Performa Mattress, even if the upper comfort layers in the Performa Mattress were higher density than the original estimates you were able to recall.

I’m sorry your Hyphen mattress didn’t work out well for you, but at least you took the time to select a product that offered a 100-day return policy.

That’s wonderful advice – couldn’t have said it better myself! :wink:

Phoenix

Hey everyone. Sorry I’m late to the conversation as I just found this. I’m Jonathan, CEO of PerformaSleep. I’d be glad to answer any questions you may have. As far as technical specs for our mattress goes, here you go:

2" of CopperCool Gel Foam: 4lb Density, 10 ILD
2" of Enersorb: 4lb Density, 15 ILD
7" of base foam. 1.8Lb Density, 36 ILD

I’m not exactly sure what all the competitors out there use but I’m pretty sure we are the only company using 4 inches of comfort foam at a 4 lb density.

Thanks

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some of the details of your mattress. I appreciate you following the forum. Manufacturers are always welcome to provide objective and informational (non-promotional) posts here, so welcome! :slight_smile:

[quote]As far as technical specs for our mattress goes, here you go:
2" of CopperCool Gel Foam: 4lb Density, 10 ILD
2" of Enersorb: 4lb Density, 15 ILD
7" of base foam. 1.8Lb Density, 36 ILD[/quote]
Thank you for providing that information! If you still feel like sharing, I have a few other questions:

• What material is used for your covering? Is it removable? Washable?
  • What do you use for your FR barrier?
  • Can you provide the specifics of your return policy? Is it a full refund between 30-100 nights, or are there fees involved? Is the customer required to return, or do you arrange pick up or donation?
  • Your product is completely domestic - all of your foams are poured in Georgia, and your covering is from South Carolina, correct?

If you can provide this information I’ll be happy to include you on our Simplified Choice listing.

I know it is difficult to keep track of the ever-growing list of “simplified choice” mattresses B) , but on the list I maintain here, which isn’t complete, the Novosbed, Yogabed, Zotto and Luxi all use at least 4 lb. high performance polyfoam or memory foam in their comfort layers, in the 3"-4" range.

Thanks again for your input, and I hope you’re able to answer my other questions.

Phoenix

Hi Everyone,

I was previously told the FRB is rayon… will defer to Jonathan on the other questions. It’s also probably worth noting that latex in most densities (even lower than 4 pcf) is going to be a more durable material in general than 4 pcf poly/memory foam due to it’s unique properties… so all due respect to Jonathan and PerformaSleep but I wouldn’t necessarily consider the use of 4lb foams in the comfort layers “unique”, although still better than “acceptable” quality which is more that can be said for a lot of these new startups that are really about marketing with very little understanding (or information) about foam density/quality.

Personally, I hope that more manufacturers will consider using higher density base layers in the future… 1.8 pcf is normally adequate for those up to around 275 lbs. but 2.2-2.4 pcf (or higher) would be even better. Most companies are using 1.8 pcf to keep costs and shipping weights as low as reasonably possible while leaving wider potential profit margins… it seems this is usually done at the advice of the manufacturer as well since they warranty the core along with any other foams supplied (assuming the foams above the core come from the same manufacturer). It might be a little risky but I think there’s opportunity out there for someone to create an all foam mattress with a higher density core, using Talalay latex in the comfort layers, while keeping the price significantly lower than an all-Talalay mattress. The BME is close but I’m talking about even higher than 2 pcf for the core along with other potential design/spec improvements… I’d be willing to pay more for it and will take my chances with lugging a few extra pounds up the stairs.

That’s my 2 cents for now… enough “mattress nerding” for the evening.

Best,
Manimal

Hi Manimal,

Thanks Manimal. My guess would be an inherent rayon/silica barrier, but I’m curious if it is a FR “sock” or other application. Hopefully we’ll get a reply.

Yes, it is a little of apples to oranges comparison, as latex is a different material than the polyfoam/memory foam referenced. To be fair and keep things consistent, the 4 lb. Enersorb is one of the newer generation of high-performance polyfoams and is a higher quality material. The 4 lb. memory foam layer would be the minimum I would recommend.

I’d provide a caution for those 275 lb. using 1.8 lb polyfoam in a base layer, and advise 2.0 lb. or higher.

It would be nice if “most” companies were using at least 1.8 lb. polyfoam for their cores, but 1.5-1.8 lb. is still the range I see in the industry for the majority of polyfoam cores. I agree it would be nice to see more manufacturers use higher density and more durable cores. There are many decisions involved when a manufacturer creates their design, and certainly profit margin is one of them, but this would be along with how all of the layers work together to achieve the comfort they are desiring. Weight of the product (for shipping) would be further down the list and more of a by-product, with increased focus being made on reducing package size and making the best use of the cubes being shipped.

The BME does use good quality materials that would be suitable for all but the most extreme weight ranges. With new products coming on the market every week, maybe you’ll find one pre-made meeting your requirements. :slight_smile: There does come a point from a raw materials perspective where the pricing difference between a very high density polyfoam core and a latex core make it a better choice to go all-latex for the manufacturer. Of course, one can always order componentry separately and create their own DIY configuration using those higher-density specifications!

Phoenix

Our cover is polyester and is removable. We do not recommend washing but dry-cleaning is perfectly fine. We are in the works to going to a Tencel cover.

We use an FR sock cover around the foam.

We do all work on returns. We arrange a pickup and refund 100% of the purchase within 30-100 nights. No fees to the customer whatsoever.

Our product is 100% domestically sourced. South Carolina for the cover, Georgia for the foam, and Georgia for the box.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I forgot to turn on notifications to the forum so sorry for the late reply. We also just revamped the website and tried to be as transparent as possible on our product.

Hi Performasleep,

Thank you for taking the time to monitor the forum and provide those details! I appreciate it.

Phoenix