Perspective on Charles P. Rogers

I do think that the Oslo was on the slat system, but I didn’t learn about it until after we had left the store and I was online.

It seems like the main differences are the coils–I assume that the more complex-looking coils on the Oslo are also more expensive–and the foam encasement. Since the foam seems relatively high density and I don’t hear a lot about CPR mattresses falling apart (point taken about that being a lousy metric, but I’d still worry if I DID hear that a lot), I’m feeling ok about the durability.

Hi NYC_Sleepy,

Without knowing the information listed here about all of the layers in the mattress, one can’t make an accurate deduction about durability.

I’m thinking that the sales rep may have provided some inaccurate information about the foam edge encasement, as that would most likely be a polyfoam, and the density would more than likely be in the 1.5 - 1.8 lb range. 5 lb density would generally be reserved for better memory foam or latex, both of which are not used for edge reinforcement. The Talalay latex is the 100% NR version, and tht would be a good quality material.

If you are able to find out the complete information about the layers within this mattress, please feel free to list them here and I can provide commentary on them, and the information can be shared here with others on the forum.

Phoenix

I didn’t know what to ask about the foam other than the density. He also volunteered that it was made in New Jersey.

Hi NYC_Sleepy,

You’ll want to know every layer that is in the mattress, from the bottom to the top. Right now you know about the innerspring unit (rarely the weak link within a mattress), and on top of that seems to be a layer of natural Talalay latex (how thick?). Then there seems to be the quilt panel, but you haven’t mentioned what foam is quilted to the underside of the ticking on the quilt panel. I believe this is 1" (25 mm) of some sort of polyfoam, and you’d want to know the density. Also, you’d want clarification on the foam edge reinforcement, because 5 lb density wouldn’t be a normal polyfoam density. As they are incomplete on their web site about layerings, I’m not sure if I’m missing anything else.

Feel free to post back anything you’re able to find.

Phoenix

Based on the cutouts in the showroom and my conversation with the rep, there is “5 lb” density (I assume meaning 5 lbs/cubic ft) 1 inch thick foam encasement around the 8 inch spring core and a 2 inch “34 ILD” natural Talalay latex (“okeo-tex certified,” which I’m not sure is meaningful) on top of the foam. The 7000 has an extra layer of softer latex (another inch of 24 ILD, I think), and the 9000 yet another layer of latex gel. I wasn’t interested in them, so didn’t take notes.

The fabric above the latex seemed so thin in person that I ignored it, but the website says: “340 gram circular knit with 25 mm hypo-allergenic quilt padding.” Again I’m having trouble separating marketing jargon from important points. I didn’t notice foam between the latex and the fabric on top in the store cutout, and the rep didn’t mention it when I asked about layers.

Hi NYC_sleepy,

Thank you for that information.

As I mentioned previously, I think you are receiving incorrect information on the density of the foam edge reinforcement. Even high-resiliency polyfoam is commonly at 2.5 lb density, and it is rare for a manufacturer to use even that high of a density polyfoam for an edge reinforcement. The normal density range for conventional flexible polyfoams is .8 to 2.5, and 5 lb is not a normal density for flexible polyfoam used in a mattress. I know you’re not sleeping upon the edge of the mattress, but you still would desire accurate information. And the edge reinforcement is usually thicker than 1" (see attached photo).

The ILD (a comfort spec) speaks to the plushness of the Talalay latex, and a 34 ILD would be considered a firmer level of comfort (forum members have mentioned 32 ILD previously). Oeko-Tex refers to one of the safety certifications available in the marketplace, and it tests for VOCs and harmful substances. Most latex you encounter will have some sort of safety certification, and this is a nice thing to have.

Yes, the “quilt panel” refers to the top layer of the mattress, specifically the ticking (covering) and what is stitched beneath that to form a single layer. It is usually backed with some sort of a non-woven material, so it can make it difficult to determine what is directly underneath the ticking. In this case, as I mentioned previously, there is 25 mm (approximately 1") of some sort of material under the ticking, but at only1" probably isn’t thick enough to be a specific weak link in the mattress.

Overall, I think there may be a layer of foam missing in what you’ve been provided for this mattress. It is rated at 13.5" overall. The spring unit is 8". The latex is 2". The quilt would be a maximum of 1" (probably a bit thinner). The foam encasement under the springs is probably 1". This brings us to approximately 12". I mention this whenever these is a discrepancy in adding the components up and the completed mattress height, as you want to make sure you know about everything that is within a mattress.

I’ve attached a photo from a CPR showroom of an Estate 5000 Firm cutout, and it seems to show another layer of polyfoam above the innerspring unit. It’s possible that this is the missing layer to reach the finished height, but I can’t be sure, as CPR doesn’t list complete specifications on their site. If the mattress does contain only what you’ve listed (disregarding the density of the foam edge reinforcement), these would all be good quality and durable materials.

Phoenix

First of all, that was a typo from me–32 ILD is also what I was told about the latex.

Ok now, after a week of both of us trying to get the information by email, chat, and phone, my partner was able to get someone to call her back after talking to the factory with the correct (or at least, correct-sounding) specs. As you suspected, there is another inch of foam attached to the quilted layer above the latex. The foam used for the edge supports, the top and bottom encasement layers, and the quilted layer is all 1.5 lb/cu ft polyurethane.

So the mattress is, from the bottom:

1 inch of 1.5 lb/cu ft polyurethane
8 inch springs
2 inch of natural Talalay latex

The remaining ~1/2 inch in the spec is just the fabric outer layer, which is sewn into the top layer of foam.

Based on what I’ve read here, that foam is going to be the weak link in the mattress construction. I am still leaning toward this mattress because it was my partner’s second favorite and basically tied with the Berkeley Oslo for me (she didn’t like that one nearly as much), and I am not sure where else to look in New York for a higher quality, transparent mattress. And I know it shouldn’t be the deciding factor, but we had a much better visit at CPR than at Scott Jordan. It also seems like the latter marks up their mattresses quite a bit compared to other Berkeley resellers. For example, isn’t this the same mattress ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: flybynight.com/Alpine-Natural-Mattress_p_1286.html and this ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: urbannatural.com/collections/all-natural-mattresses/products/madison-interactive-coil-mattress?variant=16556466883)?

But I am definitely going to stress about it a bit more, so I’d love to hear your opinion.

Edit: I know there are several other mattress showrooms in New York, but they seem to be heavy on memory foam, and we much prefer these inner spring/latex mattresses.

I just can’t make myself happy about any of our inner spring mattress options, so I’m considering whether we might as well give something else a try while we have the chance. We do not like memory foam, but we love the feel of latex, and a lot of the discussion on this site has influenced me toward trying something new.

We just tried out a Brooklyn Bedding pillow and actually love the way it feels. I keep coming back to Brooklyn Bedding and KISS because it sounds like they actually make it possible to return, and I’m intrigued by a full latex (or similar) mattress. We did not love the Nest Q3, which is the closest thing we’ve been able to try in person, because we did not find it firm enough. Any thoughts on the firmness of the Brooklyn Bedding firm or the KISS firm compared to the Q3?

Hi NYC_sleepy,

[quote]So the mattress [Charles P Rogers Estate Firm 5000] is, from the bottom:
8 inch springs
2 inch of natural Talalay latex
1 inch of 1.5 lb/cu ft polyurethane[/quote]

Thank you for providing those specifications. The base foam at 1.5 lb density, wouldn’t be as worrisome, but the total of 2" of 1.5 lb density would put this model “on the cusp” of what I’d advise considering. The 1" in the quilt will have some pre-compression with the quilt stitching, and the other 1" is beneath the latex layer, but overall it would be nicer to see some 1.8 lb polyfoam.

As I mentioned in one of my previous replies, there ae many things that go into your personal value equation, and your dealings with any particular retailer certainly can be part of that.

[quote]It also seems like the latter marks up their mattresses quite a bit compared to other Berkeley resellers. For example, isn’t this the same mattress ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: flybynight.com/Alpine-Natural-Mattress_p_1286.html
And this ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: urbannatural.com/collections/all-nat…?variant=16556466883 )?
[/quote]

They look to be the same products, but I’m not sure if BE does anything particular for the models to differentiate between these three retailers. Regarding pricing, I would expect in NYC you’d tend to pay a premium, as the cost of doing business there is quite expensive. You’d also want to compare anything else that may or not be included, such as delivery and any potential return/exchange policies that a business may have. Of course, if you are considering purchasing from one retailer, you can always ask about the pricing you’ve seen elsewhere and ask how their compares.

While you may have already read through this list, and subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … some options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the the New York City area are listed in post #2 here.

The pillow in the Brooklyn Bedding Best Pillow Ever is a Talalay core, but their mattresses use a polyfoam core with 4" total of a “latex-like” very high density polyfoam on top of that core that has some of the resilience of latex, but it is not a latex foam. The KISS mattress uses 1.5" of blended Talalay latex in the uppermost layer, but the other layers are polyfoam. The specifications of each model can be found in post #2 here.

Most online mattress manufacturers will offer some sort of a return/exchange policy, and you’d always want to confirm what that might be before placing an order with any online company.

The Q3 is available in three different firmnesses. Was the mattress set up in the “firm” configuration for you when you tested it?

You can’t really cross-compare “firmness” across models using such different componentry. The Brooklyn Bedding is available in a “Firm” version, as is the KISS mattress. There really are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around, so even if one person stated that mattress X felt to be similar in firmness to mattress Y, that would only apply to that person and not necessarily be a reliable indicator of how the product might feel to you, which can only be determined through your own careful personal testing.

One place to start online shopping would be to use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there (many with generous return policies) and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Phoenix

I did read that post early on in my search, but I had forgotten the details. At that point I was still set on something I could try in store. I will also reconsider those options, especially the spring+latex options that might be superior alternatives to the CPR.

Sorry to keep rehashing things that have been discussed elsewhere, but at this point my head is spinning.

Hi NYC_sleepy,

No worries. Just go back to the steps outlined in the mattress shopping tutorial whenever you feel yourself getting off-track and use that as a guideline. No need to memorize things. I find keeping notes on a legal pad works well for listing pros/cons of what you’re searching for.

Phoenix

We were ready to leave the sublet and start sleeping in our permanent apartment, and not excited to do it on an air mattress because of my indecision, so we pulled the trigger on the Brooklyn Bedding BME (firm). I know this is subjective and all, but in my opinion it is noticeably firmer than the CPR Estate 5000 and significantly firmer than the Nest Q3. I know it will lose some firmness in the next few weeks, but I can’t imagine it losing enough to even be comparable to the Estate 5000. Since that is what we were hoping to find, I’m quite happy with the comfort level.

After thinking about edge supports so much, I also notice that the edges of this mattress feel much stiffer and better supported than on most inner spring mattresses. I know that is probably not a surprise, given the construction. The whole thing even looks more rectangular to me, and I don’t feel like I roll off when I sit or lay close to the edge. The firmness might also be a factor here.

Because our bed has horizontal slats, I ordered the high rise platform from Brooklyn to go with the mattress. I figured it was reasonable for warranty purposes to stick with their foundations, and I also didn’t want to bother buying just a foundation locally. It’s a bit silly because now the bed is only decorative, but the foundation is working well. It doesn’t have any detectable play or squeak to it.

So far I like the mattress, but it’s only one day in. I will try to remember to come back in a month and give more details about the transition from inner spring to foam for me. The mattress is definitely not sticky and does not feel sluggish like a memory foam mattress does to me. It is obviously not as springy as an inner spring mattress, but my preference was always based more on a hatred for memory foam than any particular desire for bounciness. Having never slept on a latex mattress, I unfortunately can’t weigh in on that comparison.

Hi NYC_Sleepy,

Congratulations on your new mattress! You did make a choice using some good quality and durable material. I’m glad that your initial impression is favorable, and I do hope you will remember to post back with your impressions after you’re slept on it a while longer, as you indicated.

The edge on this mattress should feel substantial using, a 36 ILD polyfoam in the base layer (as you surmised), which is similar to some of the edge reinforcement systems in ILD placed around some innerspring units.

Sometimes it’s just as much knowing what we don’t like as much as what we do. :lol:

I’m looking forward to your future updates.

Phoenix

Ok, update now a year and a half later. We continue to be happy with the Brooklyn Bedding BME, and now need a second mattress. Unfortunately Brooklyn does not appear to make this mattress anymore–the “Signature” model is a totally different design. They also seem to have really ramped up the marketing nonsense on some of their many new offerings (“Nanobionic fabric?”), which I assume must be part of the reason they are no longer listed as a trusted member.

Has anyone had occasion to compare the old Brooklyn BME with the new pocket coil design? Does it compare favorably? I am not enthusiastic about this change and am considering just going with a real latex mattress, possibly from Latex Mattress Factory or Sleep on Latex, this time.

Hi NYC_sleepy,

Thanks for your update… I am glad to hear that you are happy with your "year and a half " Brooklyn Bedding Signature model BME and I agree that it is too bad that the design/materials you liked have changed … it is quite frustrating and confusing when companies modify designs/constructions but use the same model name … quite frankly its not good for branding purposes. either.

The only place I have found that compares the two mattresses are on these affiliate marketing review sites, where they have reviewed the old and new versions. As many are aware we caution using these sites for reliable information. You can see my comments about the Sleepopolis Site (and many other similar so-called “review sites” which are really just revenue sites that know little about mattresses or mattress materials) in post #11 here and in posts #4 and #6 here but the good news is that you ended up buying a great quality/value mattress in spite of the somewhat questionable information there.

Whether one is a trusted member or not, is not really related to specific marketing claims. Thanks for the note on “Nanobionic” cover, which one can see information on the Nanobionic website, which is a little light on the “science” of how this technology works.

An all latex mattresses is a great choice provided that you like the feel of latex and it matches the comfort/support for your particular PPP needs and preferences (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Both Latex Mattress Factory and Sleep on Latex are trusted members of our sites which means that I think highly of them, their products and their service. I’d make sure to place a phone call and discuss with each of them your specifics and sleeping history, needs and preferences to help them guide you to the best fit. (Also ckeck the TMU coupon/dixcount codes for some savings)

Phoenix

Thanks for the additional reply. I have reached out to Sleep on Latex for advice. I’m now also considering the Sleeping Organic 10" option, which seems like it might be even closer to what I have now in terms of feel and firmness. I could potentially do the following:

TL – Talalay firm (ILD 32-35)
ML – Dunlop firm (ILD 36-40)
BL – Dunlop firm (ILD 36-40)

I considered a medium Talalay top layer as well since it seems likely that the 8" of firm Dunlop will feel somewhat firmer than my existing mattress, but I’m also aware that the ILD ratings can vary and also don’t necessarily reflect how the foam actually feels. I will try reaching out to them tomorrow for advice as well.

FWIW, I heard back almost immediately from Sleeping Organic, who recommended I go for the following to have more options for playing with the layers:

Talalay Medium
Dunlop Firm
Dunlop XFirm

So I am not sure what I’ll do, but I’ll probably decide by the end of the day. I am also eyeing their discounted closeout mattresses, since I don’t really know exactly what I want anyway . . .

Hi NYC_sleepy,

Thank you for letting us know about the recommendation from Sleeping Organic. It tells a great deal about their customer service and I am pleased to hear that they got back to you so fast. Both the Sleeping Organic and Sleep On Latex constructions you’ve detailed are on the firm side and hopefully, your choice is in line with your own needs and preferences.

By this time you’ve probably pulled the trigger and purchased the mattress so I’d be interested in your feedback when you receive the three layers from sleeping organic after you have a chance to sleep upon it for a while … I’d make sure to give a few days to your body to adjust to the new sleeping surface and to the mattress to adjust to you. It will be also interesting to find out how this compares to your older Brooklyn Bedding mattress.

Thanks for the update and I’m looking forward to your next update.

Phoenix

Update again. I decided to go with Foam Sweet Foam instead. I became pretty convinced that I strongly preferred the feeling of the Talalay top layer I have currently, so I decided the ability to go with the same setup described above but with two Talalay layers was important. So I got a Foam Sweet Foam mattress with:

Talalay Medium
Talalay Firm
Dunlop XFirm

Hi Nyc_sleepy,

Thank you for your update. That is great news, congratulations, and yes Foam Sweet Foam, also one of our trusted members, they have many years of experience doing these three layer latex mattresses. Enjoy the mattress, take some time to let your body get used to it, and give us a future update.

Thank you again, and enjoy your new mattress!

Phoenix