Phoenix (and all), I need some help picking a mattress in San Francisco after visiting local dealer

I am not sure where I should be posting my very first message but since I am looking for latex mattress in the bay area this seems like a good place. I have visited Nest Bedding in Berkeley and Natural Mattress in Walnut Creek— comparing orange to orange is never easy but they seem to be similarly priced.

But I am confused about various terminology used in describing the latex in Nest Bed store. They have a ‘Natural’ and ‘Organic’ and I got the impression one labeled natural is not really 100 percent natural, but some blend and hence cheaper. Now when some other vendor uses the term Natural do also mean a blend? Or is it unique to this store?

Also, while I really want to buy from them as they sounded customer friendly, and local I am wondering if not having Talalay option at all in their lineup a drawback even though we are looking for ‘firm’ mattress. Also they seem to have only 3 in plus 6 inch layer, and I found sleeping on 12 inch (3+3+3+3+3) mattress in the other store felt more comfortable.

Some online vendors offer that option too and are cheaper than those which have storefront but I am not sure I want to buy like that when I have physical stores near me ( there seem to be more, so will check them out too). Thanks for listening and let me know if this has to go somewhere else.

Hey Insearchoffit,

Welcome to the mattress forum :).

I made a new thread for your post, thank for sending it.

Regarding the terminology, some of the retailers and brands do “play games” with their marketing. And your instinct is correct, most likely the ones called “natural” are probably a blend. Yes, less expensive, but not lower quality, just a different formulation. Most of the companies on our mattress membership listingwill be clear about whether the formula is blended or 100% Natural. Some companies will clearly say 100% natural formula, and it is a very legitimate claim.

If you’re interested there is some good information in this Latex mattress post.

For some people, no Talalay can be a drawback, but for others, it would be perfectly fine, the same thing with the 9" it can be a great fit for some, but not for others. Your preference for liking the 12-inch design is important. And possibly with a Talalay choice, you may find the right fit, with 9, 10 inches. As you try other mattresses, you will be able to tell if less than 12 will work.

Let me know if you have other questions or updates from other stores.

Thanks,
Sensei