Phoenix - having trouble finding reasonably priced latex mattresses near Denver

Hey Phoenix,

I’ve lurked here for much more time than I’d care to admit to, but I have learned a lot. However, I’m still having trouble nailing down a good deal on a mattress in my area (south Denver). I was hoping you could help me with that. Looking for:

• King size
• Latex
• Durable, long lasting
• Around $1500

It’s been a bit of a challenge. My favorite was the SleepNation’s Wynkoop St latex bed but they are WAY too expensive at nearly $4000. If I could find something like that in my price range, I’d be on cloud nine.

I also found an Aireloom “Barleaux Plush” for $2500 that was very comfortable, and I believe it is equivalent to the Platinum Plus lineup on their website. Again, comfortable, but a bit expensive.

The current leading contender is Denver Mattress’ Telluride Plush which we found to be very comfortable, and the $1599 price tag seems decent. They also offer a 120 day no-questions-asked refund policy. However, I had questions about its longevity given it only has 2" of latex and appears to have 1.8lb HD foam, as well as “bioflex soy based foam” whatever that is.

I also live close to an Ikea but I figured their latex mattresses probably wouldn’t be worth checking out (unless you disagree)

Basically, latex beds seem the most comfortable to me, but I’m having trouble finding a quality one in King size for under $2k. Is there anywhere else I should check? And what’s do you think about the Telluride, both in terms of your opinion of its quality, and for my needs as I’ve described them?

Thanks a lot. Your presence on this site is rather awe-inspiring when I think about how much time and thought you really put into your advice.

Edit: side note: http://peakdiscountmattress.com/denver-store/2478383
RIDICUOUSLY cheap “seconds” store. I have no idea if shopping there is a good idea though.

Hi QFT,

[quote]Looking for:

• King size
• Latex
• Durable, long lasting
• Around $1500[/quote]

Your budget may be too low for an all latex mattress outside of a mattress that uses synthetic latex or thinner mattresses that may not be the best match for you in terms of PPP.

I would make very sure that you know the type and quality of every layer in this mattress (see this article) because it’s very unlikely to be an all latex mattress and could very well include some lower quality materials that are a weak link in the mix.

So called “soy foam” is polyfoam that has replaced a small percentage one of the two main petrochemicals that are used to make the foam (the polyol) with a polyol that is derived from soy oil. It is basically just another version of polyfoam (see post #2 here). The bioflex is 1.8 lb density as well so all of the polyfoam is 1.8 lb density which is generally a good quality material that would be suitable for most people in normal weight ranges and wouldn’t normally be a weak link in a mattress but 2 3/4" of the 1.8 lb polyfoam layers are convoluted foam and convoluting can reduce the durability of a material so although it would be a better quality and more durable choice than most of its mainstream competitors, I would be cautious here because 1.8 lb polyfoam is the lowest density I would consider in a one sided mattress (unless there is only about “an inch or so” of lower quality materials) and with the convoluting it would be “on the edge” of having a weak link in the design because the effective density would be less than 1.8 lb.

You would need to do some careful testing on any of their mattresses (and I would make sure that you test it on a solid non flexing foundation or support surface because if they are on one of their flexible based it will change the feel and performance of the mattress) to make sure that it is a good match for you in terms of PPP but the latex they use (like any latex) would be a durable material. The Ikea Morgongava may be worth considering (again only if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP) because it uses 85% natural Dunlop latex which is a good quality material and there would be no weak links in the mattress.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Denver/Boulder areas are listed in post #2 here and there are a number of latex options in the area. Foam Source in particular may be worth including in your research because they have some all latex mattresses that are under $2000 in king size.

[quote]Edit: side note: peakdiscountmattress.com/denver-store/2478383
RIDICUOUSLY cheap “seconds” store. I have no idea if shopping there is a good idea though. [/quote]

You can see my thoughts about liquidation outlets that sell used mattresses without a warranty in post #8 here and post #2 here and post #2 here. I would tend to avoid them or at the very least treat them as “buyer beware”.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply!

I shouldn’t have implied that it needs to be a full latex mattress. It doesn’t, though the full talalay Wynkoop was my favorite. But having some latex around the comfort layers seems to make the bed comfy to me, so I would like some.

If it really makes a huge difference, I’m willing to extend my budget to 2k taxed and delivered. Not sure that’s enough though. And I’m TIRED of shopping :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice. I may check out Ikea and FoamSource, but Boulder is a trek from here and a slab frame sounds expensive compared to the boxspring option I’d get with a hybrid mattress.

That being said, I’m still wondering if the Telluride would last, or maybe I should keep looking. It’s pretty comfortable and meets my PPP, but needs to last upwards of a decade (which is my main question about it). If it makes a difference, I’m about 170lb and she’s 120. Also, in regards to your “one sided mattress” question – I believe it is, because the salesman mentioned that the springs were somewhat of an apex design.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Hi QFT,

I’m not sure what you mean by a “slab frame” but a box spring normally wouldn’t be the best choice for either a latex mattress or a latex hybrid mattress (that only has latex in the comfort layers). A suitable foundation would generally be the best choice for either of them. There is more about the types or support systems that are generally the most suitable for different types of mattresses and some sources for each of them in the foundation post here.

There isn’t a way to quantify exactly how long any mattress will last for a particular person and when the gradual loss of comfort and/or support over time leads results in one or both of you no longer sleeping well on it and needing to replace it even if it would still be suitable for the other one or for someone else (see post #2 here). The only meaningful durability comparisons that it’s really possible to make is in comparison to another mattress where you can say “this mattress is likely to be more durable than that one” without attaching a specific number to either one. The Telluride may be a “better than average” choice compared to many other mainstream mattresses in its budget range but could be somewhat “on the edge” in terms of durability (more for you than her) compared to a mattress that used higher quality materials in the upper layers especially. There is more about the many variables that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here but if I was in your shoes it would depend on how the Telluride compared to the other finalists you are considering.

Phoenix