Phoenix HELP ME

Phoenix, you seem to be a mattress wizard. We bought a Stearnes and Foster mattress at a Metro Mattress and can’t get our money back so we have to pick from what they have. Please help me decide from the following options…

iComfort Savant
iComfort Genius
iComfort Prodigy

or

Sealy Hybrid Series

or

Tempur-Pedic Supreme Breeze (my favorite but most expensive)

or keep the S&F we have (Port Royal)

We don’t have time to research any more so please help me decide out of the ones I listed. I really like the Tempur-Pedic but its hard to justify spending that much epically if we can get one of the other mattresses I listed and get similar results.

I sleep on my stomach (fetal position :wink: and my wife sleeps on her side/back. I love memory foam, we just hate being hot at night. PLEASE HELP ASAP. I already read your tutorial BTW so please dont refer me to it, just talk about the mattresses above. Thanks, you’re the man!!

Hi SON,

Unfortunately I can’t feel what you feel or see you sleeping on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for someone to be able to suggest which mattress is “best” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) using specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The only way to know this would be your own careful testing on each mattress (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post).

There is also more in post #2 here about the two main strategies that you can use when you are caught “between a rock and a hard place” and need to exchange a mattress at a store that has few if any good quality/value options available. If you follow the suggestions there then you will be much more likely to choose a mattress that is not only a good match for you in terms of PPP but also uses higher quality materials in the comfort layers so that it will be both a suitable choice and a durable choice.

Finally post #13 here also has more information about the most important parts of a mattress purchase (or exchange) which are suitability, durability, and then all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

This should give you the tools you need to be able to make the best out of a difficult situation.

The first thing I would ask though is which of the mattresses you listed is the best match for you in terms of PPP and why are you exchanging the mattress you have?

Phoenix

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply, you are truly a mattress wizard. I understand what you are saying to some degree. I just want your opinion about which mattress is the closest to the Supreme Breeze, and which has the best materials. I’ll try to do what you suggested but in the meantime try your best to answer me.

SON

Sorry, to answer your question, the best mattress in terms of PPP wouldn’t be relevant as much because my wife sleeps totally opposite of me. The S&F is a pillowtop and I’m my spine is crooked when I sleep on it. Plus I’ve heard horrible things about how it will sag.

Hi SON,

Your own careful testing will tell you which one is closest to the Supreme Breeze for you than anything I can tell you. Because the mattresses are all different … different people would interact with each mattress differently and may have very different opinions about how closely one mattress “matches” another one.

If you’ve read the tutorial then you will know that I can’t help with “what to choose” … I can only provide the information, steps, and guidelines that can help you with “how” to choose.

I would need to know the type and quality of all the materials in each mattress to be able to tell you this (see this page) and I don’t know the specifics of every mattress you listed (and some of them won’t provide the specifics of what is inside their mattresses) but the Tempurpedic Supreme Breeze would have the highest quality most durable materials of the bunch.

Phoenix

I see. Can you at least rank the brands?

iComfort
Sealy Hybrid
Tempurpedic
Stearns and Foster

Hi SON,

Brand names won’t tell you anything about a specific mattress because all manufacturers have access to similar materials and outside of PPP … a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside the specific mattress you are considering (see post #5 here about brand shopping). Every manufacturer makes mattresses that use lower quality materials and higher quality materials. This also won’t relate to the price of a mattress because some “top end” mattresses include thicker layers of low quality materials in the mix that would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability even though some of the other layers are good quality. I would also be aware that warranties have nothing to do with the durability or the useful life of a mattress (see post #174 here).

Having said that … all of the manufacturers you have mentioned are rated as “avoid” in this article.

The only way to identify any weak links in a mattress or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses is by knowing the type and quality of all the materials inside it … and most of the major manufacturers have little interest in helping their customers make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses because they are sold with “marketing stories” and advertising rather than meaningful information about the materials inside them.

Phoenix