Phoenix....I'm at two options right now, Spindle or Mattress 24/7 ??

I’ve been reading a lot and lust for the “real deal” premium latex mattresses, but at over $1300 delivered (Arizona Premium Mattress) and up towards $1800…I think I’m down to online Spindle or Mattress 24/7 products. Do you have an opinion on these two efforts?

Spindle Abscond, 10"…$800 Queen-size (vs. the $1300 for the natural Dunlop)
–(3) layers of 3" foam… It would be synthetic, which by itself doesn’t bother me, but the density numbers Neal gave me worry me:

…Natural Dunlop…Synthetic

Soft…57 kg/m3…50 kg/m3
Med…73…52
Firm…83…58

Neal suggested Synthetic Firm/Firm/Soft, but at those density numbers, is it like getting something much softer than traditional
Dunlop or even Talalay? Or am I in error thinking that way?

Mattress 24/7 (Valerie)…$900 Queen-size, on EBay
– (3) layers of 3" Talalay (ad says "100% Talalay, but that’s gotta be a BLEND, no? Not that it bothers me at that price). Theirs comes Firm/Med/Soft layers.

*** I am 57 yrs. young, 5’9" and 150 lbs…back/side sleeper mainly…like the softer comfort layer while still feeling support below. For instance, I like the feel of a “plush firm” innerspring mattress…what I would call a “6” on the 1-10 scale. ***

Spindle obviously has your backing, as a company, but is it “nicer” to get the “All Talalay” of the Mattress 24/7? Thanks for any thoughts on the products!

I also looked at the Dreambeds, but don’t want the HD foam support layer ideally.

Hi Erion929,

Both of the manufacturers you are looking at have good knowledge and experience and neither of them have any weak links in their design or construction. The choice between Talalay and Dunlop is also a preference choice (see post #7 here) and there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here. Synthetic Dunlop will also be a little less elastic and a little less supportive than natural Dunlop which is why the firmness choices for each for some people may be different.

The material you are looking at with mattresses 24/7 is most likely blended Talalay (see my reply here in the other thread).

Density numbers with synthetic or blended Talalay and Dunlop are also very different and can’t be compared to each other (synthetic latex is less dense than natural latex so it will be firmer in lower densities).

When you can’t test a mattress in person for PPP and you are dealing with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer like Spindle or retailer like mattresses 24/7 then your more detailed conversations with each of them (preferably on the phone or with a live chat) is the most effective way to choose which of their mattresses would have the highest odds of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). They will know more about the options they have available and which combination of materials may be the best match for you than anyone else. Any exchange or return policy they offer may also be an important part of your personal value equation so that you are comfortable with the options you have after a purchase if the choice you make doesn’t work out as well as you and the retailer/manufacturer hoped.

Once you have eliminated your worst options and you are down to final choices between “good and good” (see post #2 here) and if there are no clear winners between them, then it’s time for me to step out of the way so that you can make a final decision based on your conversations with each of them, your confidence in each choice, and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you along with your “best judgement” or sometimes even just “gut feel”.

You have done some good research and you are in a great position where there are really no “mistakes” in terms of quality or value and while I’m happy to help with “how” to choose … when there are no weak links or “cautions” about any of your options then only you can make the final choice about “what” to choose that is “best for you”.

Phoenix

OK, thanks for confirming my choices as acceptable, Phoenix. I just ordered from the Mattress 24/7 Ebay listing…10" all-Talalay blend queen size, (3) layers of 3" latex, with a cotton/wool cover. Valerie notes the Talalay latex blend is from Radium Foam…40/60 blend…natural is the 40%. It comes standard as a Soft/Med/Firm layout…although you can custom tweak it for 10% more.

I conferred by email several times with Valerie and she answered all of my questions to my satisfaction. I decided to go with the Talalay blend instead of Spindle’s Abscond mattress, which would have been all synthetic. In the end, I just wasn’t as sure about the listed lower densities of the synthetic latex and how it would feel. I might assume that the synthetic could be less supportive and maybe less durable over time? We will see if I pass or fail on that thought, lol.

Since you noted no real weak links in either, it just comes down to personal feel and comfort now. The Mattress 24/7 Talalay offering comes with the bottom two layers split in half, so it allows for a little personal adjustability from one side of the bed to the other by flipping the lower two layers, if needed. A slight bonus.

NEVER in my right mind would I have thought that I would partake in a mattress forum. Are you serious…a mattress? Nobody I know would ever believe it :huh: . Thanks for the great site and your specific help, Phoenix!

Hi Erion929,

The Radium blend is actually 30/70 not 40/60 but it really doesn’t make any difference because it’s a high quality material.

It sounds to me like you made a good choice and your layers are in a “standard” firmness range for average weights and you still have some options to rearrange them if you need to do any fine tuning.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Erion929, how are you liking the 24/7 mattress? I know you just got it this month…