Phoenix please save us.

I have been reading your form for a few weeks and luckily so I stumbled across it because I was ready to buy a Essentia until i came across your mattress forum. Thank you.

Long story short we had a bad car accident and needed a mattress that can help us with back pain sleep problems etc, The therapist suggested Temperpedic mattress and so off to sleep country we went. With all the lies that there is no VOC’s and off gassing after a week from the employe we learned quickly that this thing is a toxic nightmare that does not stomp smelling. It is 4 40 am and i have once again been woken up because my head missed the pillow while sleeping and and smelled the awful mattress and woke up. It has been a 3 month battle for sleep country to take this thing back and is getting out of control. I will explain in detail so future customers can know how bad they really our but for now can you please help us in choosing a mattress that is healthy and not too many strong chemicals. On top off all this my wife is pregnant 7 months and is not able to sleep on this and is now really worried about toxicity in a mattress. Thats why we ware sold on essentia until I saw the truth behind them on your comments so please help and lead us towards a good heathy mattress . Many Thanks

Hi mattressnightmare,

Post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and green mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress and help you answer “how safe is safe enough for me”. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, and lifestyle choices.

Once you have decided on the types of materials you are comfortable with then it’s much easier to focus on choosing a mattress that only contains those specific materials.

Phoenix

We have decided to go wit Organic Dunlop Latex but I am having a tough time locating one to try around Hamilton Ontario area, Do you know of any stores where we can lay down and try it out especially that past post members had great experience with and where your discount applies? Thanks for your help

Hi mattressnightmare,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Hamilton, ON area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #8 here but none of the members are located there and while there are certainly latex mattresses available in the area I don’t know if any of them carry organic latex mattresses (I don’t think they do but you would need to check with them).

Post #21 here also includes a list of the better online manufacturers/retailers I’m aware of that ship across Canada and some of these sell mattresses that use organic Dunlop latex.

Phoenix

mn: we have just discussed this issue with outgassing here and ways to deal with it:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/outgassing
Maybe that can help with your current mattress.
I think Sleep EZ offers great quality/value among natural latex mattresses.(unless someone sensitive to latex)
My Green Mattress and Berkeley Ergonomics(that I just got) are other excellent natural mattress options but not sure if they ship to Canada…

Thanks a lot guys there is no allergies to latex my wife is just big on trying the mattress out before we buy it especially after this fiascal with sleep country and temperpedic. Im hoping to find a store even in Toronto that carry Dunlop organic but I will ask if someone carry’s sleep EZ thanks all for your help any ideas I’m open.

Do you guys have any experience with soma organic mattresses in Toronto?

Hi mattressnightmare,

Several of the stores in the Toronto list I linked in my last reply (including Dormio and Soma) carry organic Dunlop latex that you could try but they wouldn’t carry SleepEZ mattresses which are only available online or in the Phoenix area.

You can see my comments about both Soma and Dormio in the Toronto list and a forum search on Soma and on Dormio (you can just click the links) will bring up more comments and feedback about both of them as well.

Phoenix

If you are in Hamilton check out Dormio, they have a showroom (and website of course) in Mississauga which is not too far from you and they sell only organic Dunlop Latex. Good luck in your search

Edit - Well Phoenix is a faster typer than me, ninjad!

It seems like finding a mattress with a latex comfort layer but with foam or spring as the base/core layers isn’t as easy as it sounds! My fiancee and I have been bouncing around a number of stores in the region looking to get a feel for this but haven’t been getting very far.

We were, however, able to get a good feel for how latex in general feels by asking about latex pillows. Granted, it doesn’t do us much when it comes to the PPP… but we hadn’t ever felt a latex material for bedding before and it was definitely enlightening - I finally understand what people mean when they talk about how springy/bouncy it can be!

Hi Jeroen,

If you let me know your city or zip/postal code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

[quote=“Jeroen” post=48193]It seems like finding a mattress with a latex comfort layer but with foam or spring as the base/core layers isn’t as easy as it sounds! My fiancee and I have been bouncing around a number of stores in the region looking to get a feel for this but haven’t been getting very far.

We were, however, able to get a good feel for how latex in general feels by asking about latex pillows. Granted, it doesn’t do us much when it comes to the PPP… but we hadn’t ever felt a latex material for bedding before and it was definitely enlightening - I finally understand what people mean when they talk about how springy/bouncy it can be![/quote]

The only good thing with all the confusions seems that we are defiantly on the right track with the website. Thanks for all the help guys and ill post my results when we finalize the mattress and defiantly update you guys. thanks for all the help any other ideas for us please post

I appreciate the offer, Phoenix! My fiancee and I have been scouring the region already, and we’ve already settled upon a purchase! Thanks to your amazing site, and insight, our research and decision-making have landed us upon the Dreamfoam UD Eurotop Latex. We made the purchase yesterday afternoon, and look forward to working with Chuck to confirm the firmness we’re looking for :slight_smile:

Hi Jeroen,

The UD Eurotop is certainly a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any comments and feedback you have the chance to share when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

We have been to soma sleep and most comfortable was Obasan Acadia 2.0 what are your thoughts and experiences and is there any other retailers that carry it at a better price?

Hi mattressnightmare,

The Obasan Acadia contains 8" of organic Dunlop latex and has a zoned middle layer that can be customized along with an organic cotton cover quilted with wool which are all high quality materials and there are certainly no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress. It would make a high quality choice although as you probably know it’s also in a relatively high budget range compared to some other 8" Dunlop latex mattresses.

I don’t keep a record of prices at each retailer or the mattresses they carry on their floor but Sleeptek has a dealer locator on their site here so you can check for other dealers that carry the same mattress although it’s not likely that the prices will be much different from Soma.

There may also be other similar mattresses available to you that would also make good choices but if the Acadia 2.0 is a good match for you in terms of PPP and it also compares well to your other finalists or other similar latex mattresses that are available to you based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including price, customization options, and return/exchange options) then it would certainly be worth considering.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix what are some of the other similar mattresses that you are speaking of?

Hi mattressnightmare,

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses that each retailer keeps on their floor or individual prices so it was meant more as a general comment in reference to other mattresses that use the same type and blend of latex and to encourage you to make some good “value” comparisons so you are satisfied that a mattress you are considering is the “best value” for you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While there would be other mattresses that use 8" of 100% natural Dunlop that are in lower price ranges … they may not be as suitable for you in terms of PPP or some of your other criteria so for you they may not be good “value” even if they are in a significantly lower price range.

I think it’s always a good idea to have several “finalists” from different stores so you can make better comparisons and then make a “final choice” between them.

Phoenix