Pick your (Tempurpedic) poison

Hi SleeplessinDallas,

Long time no see :slight_smile:

As you know I’m not a fan of thick memory foam mattresses (I don’t like the feeling of being “in” the mattress as much) or Tempurpedic (I wouldn’t buy any of their mattresses because of their poor value compared to others that are just as high quality or better) but if I was forced to choose one my choice before would have been the BellaFina as we talked about before (and which you liked as well). This was because they used latex under the memory foam and I prefer this type of feel when there are thinner layers of memory foam and then a more resilient material underneath it but they don’t sell this any longer.

While I haven’t tested them with the specific intent of choosing between them (so not carefully testing to the extent of determining a clear personal preference) … if I was forced to make a choice I would probably lean towards one of the weightless models because they also have a thinner layer of memory foam (their Tempur ES 4 lb memory foam) over a more resilient material. The problem is that they don’t provide any information about what the float material really is but if I had to guess it would be HR polyfoam (see post #2 here). I would have real trouble buying Tempurpedic though and even more trouble buying a Tempurpedic when I didn’t know what was in it and knowing they have also lowered the density of their base polyfoam layers in at least some of their models to 1.5 lb polyfoam.

[quote] And more importantly, IF you had to select a Tempurpedic mattress, which model do you think would be the most durable in the long run and least likely to develop impressions? **

But— I’d like some input on which model may be most durable (or any to avoid)![/quote]

The biggest factor in durability would be the density of the memory foam so of course I would avoid the Simplicity line because they use such poor quality memory foam (under 3 lb) and if durability was a key issue or if I was in a heavier weight range (200 lbs or so or higher) I would also start being cautious with any of their mattresses with 4 lb memory foam. I have no way to know the durability of the weightless models because they don’t disclose what is under the memory foam and this would be a factor although It would probably be high quality polyfoam. The 4 lb memory foam above it would be less durable than their higher density memory foams (either 5.3 lbs or 7 lbs) but I would make the tradeoff between how they felt and durability towards feel. If I had to choose one of their mattresses that only used memory foam in the comfort layers and durability was the main concern it would probably be the Allura or perhaps the Rhapsody (which is firmer) which both use 7 lb memory foam over their 5.3 lb memory foam.

I’m sorry to hear that you both aren’t equally as happy with the BE after all the time and effort (and various mattress issues over the years) it took you to choose it. “Mattress conflicts” between the preferences of a couple can sure be frustrating :unsure: .

Phoenix