Picking a Mattress for US!

First off, this is my first post with TMU, and I must say, this site managed to capture my interest and attention over SleepLiketheDead. Not that they aren’t knowledgeable, but information seems to be presented with better (though much lengthier) details. Additionally, Pheonix… You are very verbose. EXTREMELY helpful (hence that Administrative title), but I find I have to skim some of what you’re saying for time considerations, lol.

Alright, on with the meat and Po-TA-TOES of this post.

I read over Sleeping Style, Preferences, and Statistics Overview of this site. I have also skimmed the Forum READ FIRST Topic about finding the right mattress. What I need help with is a good list of manufacturers for our specific needs. So, here is my rundown:

Current Mattress: Canadian Line Sleep Number Mattress
Budget: $1000-$2200
Mattress Size: King
Travel Distance: <500 Miles
Foundation Needed: Yes

Sleepers: A and B

Sleeper A - Side Sleeper with legs straight and pillow used at knees and lower arm/shoulder under head and straight out, occasionaly a stomach sleeper, ~220 Lbs, 6’1", experiencing lower back pain and tossing and turning at night due to shoulder numbness or aching. Ocasionally uses pillow under lower back and buttox to support back. Prone to overheating.
Sleeper B - Stomach sleeper with larger chest, uses 1 pillow for head, legs typically straight out, occasional side sleeper, ~240 Lbs, 5’4", experiences some neck and shoulder pain on occasion but more frequently experiences lower back pain, and constant tossing and turning.

Based on what I have read on TMU, I suspect we are looking for a mattress with a ~4" support layer, probably using latex to provide an initial softness and firm up as it compresses. The Support Layer will need to be on the firm side. Given Sleeper A’s overheating situation, latex seems to be a good fit for the comfort layer as well. We would like a mattress with a durable outer layer, as our current Sleep Number has increased sag because the bottom fabric has split like a pair of pants causing the foam edges to bow out and sink the pillow top into the middle. We both have a desire to have the “sink-in” feel, but upon review of mattress toppers or pillow tops, we would probably want to avoid these. A quilting layer made of wool would be nice but not a ‘MUST’. I am intrigued by the idea of a 2-sided mattress, but again, this is not a MUST.

Additionally, some of my reading has lead me to believe there are a few manufacturers that can build a customized layout based upon individual sleeper needs. If these are within our price range, this would be of interest as Sleeper A and B have basically, inverse sleep patterns.

Personal assessment: The reading I have done suggests I am leaning towards a Talalay Latex mattress with either foam layers or a full latex mattress. The springyness of the Latex and its cooler heat retention are added benefits for personal considerations.

See, I’m going on and on as well, lol. Anyway, while this site has a wealth of info on potential combos of ideal sleep systems, help with locating the right manufacturers is what is most needed. I’m open to shopping a brick and morter store or online. I do not have a preference on ‘green’ choice systems. While, there do seem to be some health benefits to reducing bed bugs and air impurities with natural-made sleep systems, this is about as far as my concern goes for ‘green’ solutions.

Any pointers on where to steer towards from here might be great. Lastly, any personal thoughts on NASA or some other organization creating a zero gravity suspended sleep system? I know I want one!

If you’re looking to try out Dunlop latex, my showroom is only 1 hour north of you in Lafayette, IN. We have multiple samples of all 5 firmnesses of natural latex, various cases or tickings, pillow and a handmade wool mattress. Always happy to answer questions and to let you get some experience feeling latex and wool combinations.

Thank you for making yourself known to us. We will most definitely make an time to drive up there in the next couple weekends. Do you have individuals that can assist in helping us pick out the right materials for a system of our needs/desires?

Just me. :slight_smile: But an appointment will give you all of my availability. Showings usually take an hour or so and involve touching, feeling, lying down on samples and switching around latex layers to find a preferred combination as well as getting questions answered and immersing yourself in bedding for a short while. My website has my phone number and email address on the contact page. See blue link below this text.

Hi EmrysTuatha,

[quote]I read over Sleeping Style, Preferences, and Statistics Overview of this site.

Based on what I have read on TMU, I suspect we are looking for a mattress with a ~4" support layer, probably using latex to provide an initial softness and firm up as it compresses. The Support Layer will need to be on the firm side. Given Sleeper A’s overheating situation, latex seems to be a good fit for the comfort layer as well. We would like a mattress with a durable outer layer, as our current Sleep Number has increased sag because the bottom fabric has split like a pair of pants causing the foam edges to bow out and sink the pillow top into the middle. We both have a desire to have the “sink-in” feel, but upon review of mattress toppers or pillow tops, we would probably want to avoid these. A quilting layer made of wool would be nice but not a ‘MUST’. I am intrigued by the idea of a 2-sided mattress, but again, this is not a MUST.[/quote]

I would keep in mind that the suggestions that you read in the overviews are very generic and aren’t meant to be specific suggestions or guidelines that would apply to any specific person.

Unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and specs and different layering combinations and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would only be a very small percentage of people) … I would avoid using individual specs such as layer thicknesses or ILD numbers or other complex combinations of information or specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you or how it will compare to another mattress and focus more on your own actual testing and/or personal experience and if this isn’t possible then on more detailed conversations with a knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer.

While knowing the specs that can affect the quality and durability of the layers and components in a mattress is always important … when you try and choose or compare a mattress based on complex combinations of “comfort” specs that you may not fully understand then the most common outcome can often be “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”. Even the best mattress designers in the industry are often surprised at what a mattress they design “should have felt like” when they design it and what it “actually feels like” when they test out their new design.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) and how well you sleep the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I would also be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and all manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress (which are the two most important parts of a mattress purchase). There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

In other words … outside of your own careful testing to make sure that a mattress is suitable for you … I would focus more on the quality and durability of the materials inside it than on the name of the manufacturer on the label.

There are certainly some manufacturers that can custom build a mattress but there is also more information in the first part of post #2 here about some of the different ways that can be used to accommodate a couple that have very different body types or sleeping styles or that for other reasons have different needs and preferences in a mattress.

[quote]Location: Indianapolis, IN
Travel Distance: <500 Miles[/quote]

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Indianapolis area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here (including DIY Natural Bedding ).

Some of the other forum lists that are a little farther away include the Cincinnati, OH list here and the Dayton, OH list here and the Louisville, KY list here and the Lexington, KY list here and the Champaign/Springfield/Peoria list here and the Chicago list in posts #2 and #4 here and the South Bend/Fort Wayne list here and the Columbus, OH list here and the Evansville, IN list here and the St Louis/Carbondale list here.

That’s not a 500 mile radius but there are probably more than enough choices in these lists already.

If you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses (including latex, and latex hybrid mattresses) in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering.

In its simplest form (and for those that don’t have a lot of time to read) … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that you have confirmed can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for taking the time to address my post. The list of places local to me will be invaluable as I have time to go over more posts that you have written on this site. In short, I had better hop to it! I’m certain I will develop more questions along the process. However, thanks for the initial boost in the selection process.

Hi EmrysTuatha,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way that I or any of the other more knowledgeable members of the site can help with.

Phoenix

Ok. So, after our first week of battle testing mattresses, my partner and I have found the Tempur-Pedic’s Tempur Flex Elite and Jamison’s Bordeaux and Napa/Opulance to all be relatively great choices for us. We tried out a couple iComfort’s and two different PLB mattresses. The PLB’s we tried had an ‘on the bed’ feel that we just weren’t getting behind, and while the store didn’t have “the world’s greatest bed” model, the step down was already at a price I couldn’t see myself spending. The Tempur Flex Elite poses the same issue. The cooling effect in it’s top layer was perfect for both of us. Pressure relief was spot on for me, but again, at ~$4500, I’m not sure I want to spend that much.

The Jamison’s however, seemed to have an even better feel. Back support was a smidge better on the Bordeaux than the Napa Plush, but that seems to have more to do with that ‘in the bed’ feeling than anything else. My arm started to get sore by the time we got to the Jamison mattresses, but I think that had less to do with the mattress and more to do with all the models we had tried that day. When I switched to my other shoulder, I was able to do a test in the bed for about a 1/2 hour with no real issues. We still want to check out Holder Bedding in Lafayette, IN before getting too excited or settled on our choice. The one caveat to the Jamison mattresses though, despite being all natural Talalay latex, I felt a tad warm by the time I got up. From what you have posted on this mattress, I’m guessing that has something to do with the quilted top.

So, in my not so infinite wisdom, my next challenge is to consider a mattress topper to put on this bed. I know, your first comment will be that this consideration will change or adjust the feel of the mattress. I do understand that this will be the case. What I want to know is, if I were to consider the Napa Plush that only has one sheet of 2" super soft latex, and TRY and find a mattress topper of a similar density or composition to the that same latex, could Phoenix or anyone else make any recommendations of a quality built mattress topper that is no more than 2-3 inches with EXCELLENT cooling properties and “fingers crossed” made of Talalay latex as well? I don’t know if such a product exists, and if not made of latex, then at least something of a plush or super soft durable material with EXCELLENT cooling properties?

Additionally, we will probably look into a mattress pad as well, and following up on a couple of other threads on the matter will probably look into a thin, very breathable, water resistant option since the topper will provide a good layer of protection, and will need to be breathable so as to reduce the cooling effects in the topper as little as possible.

So, In summary, Holder Bedding aside, I need recommendations of models/brands of mattress toppers with 2-3" of plush or super soft, durable, material with EXCELLENT cooling properties. I also need recommendations of ultra breathable mattress pads that will be least effective in reducing the toppers cooling effects. If it provides 5 sided protection that would be a major plus.

NOTE: I’m also open to other suggestions. Albeit, this would not add and cooling sensation to the mattress, but might it be an interesting alternative to have a quilted wool mattress cover made for the bed? Whether it goes over the whole mattress itself or maybe a fitted option? I don’t know if that would be a bad thing to put on a Jamison all latex mattress or if that would reduce the mattress’ ability to properly ventilate. DIY Bedding in Lafayette makes custom bedding materials, I thought this might be a potentially lower cost alternative to keep the bed feeling as close to its original support and comfort structure as possible but using a different covering to reduce heat. Any thoughts?

Hi EmrysTuatha,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update … I appreciate it.

My reply in post #2 here includes my comments and answers to the same questions asked by another member about toppers and mattress pads and temperature regulation.

Once you know the type and blend of latex in the top layer of the Napa Plush then you can purchase a topper that uses the same type of latex if that is your preference. If you wish to purchase a Talalay latex topper instead (either blended or 100% natural) then the component/topper list includes some good sources for this as well. Talalay Active Fusion (aka Celsion) also has a phase change gel added to the latex and which can add a little bit of additional temperature regulation to the latex (generally when you first go to sleep at night because the benefits of gel don’t tend to last over the course of the night) although Talalay latex is already a very breathable and “temperature neutral” material.

I’m guessing you are probably referring to a mattress protector (to protect your mattress from stains and the body fluids, skin cells, and oils that we release each night) rather than a mattress pad (which is usually used to provide some additional softness to your mattress although some products can provide both functions).

There is more about mattress pads in the other reply I linked and there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for clearing up some of the language for me. It seems easy to confuse.

I’m quickly learning that to get the desired effect I seek, will end up being a bit more than just purchasing the Bordeaux TLC Jamison mattress, but seeing as I sleep pretty warm, if my estimations are correct, it will be worth every penny.

So, whittling this down, we are looking at a Napa Plush King. I contacted Jamison to get details on what makes up the top comfort layer of 2" super soft latex on their Bordeaux mattress, but am waiting to get a response. Once I have the ILD value and type of latex used (I’m assuming Talalay, but I’ll find out soon enough, I can try and match that with someone that provides Celsion or Rejuvenite with a matching ILD value and thickness. This brings me to another question… Aside from the fact that Rejuvenite is ‘newer’ what is the difference between it and Celsion Latex, especially with regards to the active fusion technology? Additionally, Malouf’s Encase Omniphase Mattress Protector seems like a good choice for total protection with more than a few reviews mentioning that it did not add heat to a latex mattress. I think this route might be the most cost effective means of duplicating the Bordeaux but with cooling technology worked in.

My second option, was to consider getting the Celsion latex and putting it into a custom zip-lined topper made of a quilted wool with cotton knitting. While I am certain this would feel great, remove the fire barrier, and get a more natural feel, the added costs associated with each of these additions, and the fact that this would definitely alter the feel of the comfort layer, have skeptical to want to spend that much money untested for a ‘maybe’ more favorable result.

My last question, for now, is, are there any distributors, vendors, suppliers, etc… that sell to the public where I might find 2" sheets of Celsion or Rejuvenite latex? If it’s simply going to act as a mattress topper, and I put a mattress encasement over the whole system, I’m guessing there may not be much need for an additional protective layer for just the topper. Plus, it will keep us closer to the latex potentially adjusting an additional degree or so of body temperature. The only drawback, I could presume, is its potential to shift, but I don’t know. Thoughts?

Hi EmrysTuatha,

I think that their new models may use continuous pour Dunlop but hopefully they will confirm this. I would also keep in mind that In addition to this the ILD of different types and blends of latex also aren’t always directly comparable to each other (see post #6 here).

You can see the different types of latex that are made by Talalay Global here. Talalay Active Fusion and Celsion are just different names for the same thing. Rejuvenite is just a brand name for sleep products … not a specific type of latex.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: latexfoam.com/products.html

Rejuvenite isn’t a specific type of latex … just a line of products. Sleep Like a Bear sells Celsion and KTT may have it available as well (they are both included in the component list).

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) and it’s generally a good idea for latex to have a suitable dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help maximize it’s useful lifetime. It can also help protect it with handling. There is more in post #3 here and post #3 here that will give you some sense of the effect of different types of covers on latex.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: primelineindustries.com/natural-rubber-chemcompchart.html

Being closer to the latex may sleep a little warmer than sleeping on a quilted cover (particularly wool quilting). There is more about wool quilted covers vs a more stretchy knit cover in post #6 here.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover (which in effect is what you are doing if you are doing “mattress surgery”) then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

Phoenix

Now, officially feeling a little overwhelmed, lol.

So, here’s the update of what I learned, and where I think I might go with a ‘K.I.S.S.’ approach.

I got a hold of both Jamison’s customer service and their Purchaser (Chris). Trying to determine the make-up of the top layer of soft latex material on the Bordeaux lead to me acquiring the MIN, MAX, and MEDIAN Ft/lb density of the material (~3.121 Ft./lB). Then he directed me to their supplier (Mountain Top Foam) who further directed me to their Sales Contact (Bob Quickstad). Bob was able to confirm that the latex was: SOFT C-0 with an approx. ILD of 11 based on a 25% compression test. He took the time to go over more of what this meant, and further confirmed that this same material can and does get ordered with an Active Phase Change spray applied as a top coat on the foam. HOWEVER, to his knowledge, none of his customers purchase that particular product for the purposes of a mattress topper. He did provide a local factory direct client that uses the material (Mark’s Mattress). From what I could find online, this is an outlet retailer that sells name brand discounted mattress along with a few lines of their own custom made products. I haven’t been able to find any details on the quality of their mattresses, but they have several stores in Indiana and Kentucky. What concerns me is they sell mattresses and fireworks. Just a little odd to say in the least. There is a location in Lafayette, IN, so I will be taking a trip up there to investigate along with Holder Bedding this weekend.

I wrote to KTT about what I am seeking, so I will see if I get a response and pricing for a topper. However, in my research, I have come across a brand called Tencel (thanks to the Malouf products and Protect-A-Bed). Given it’s moisture wicking and cooling properties, I am curious how effective they may be at keeping me cool if I used a mattress encasement and sheet set made with this material? Additionally, MyBambi, in Australia seems to offer a Moodmaker Wool/Tencel All Seasons Quilt for about $500. The All Seasons variant seems to be their high and low loft quilt that can be velcrowed together to make a Super loft or used separately throughout the year. As intriguing as this seems, and my curiosity is peaked, I cannot seem to find any reviews on the product to determine if it is a quality and worthwhile purchase.

So, where I stand at the moment, is to test these other two options. If they don’t pan out or meet my value and quality needs, then I will probably get the Jamison Bordeaux, encase it with the Malouf protector, Tencel sheets, and possibly a wool or Tencel quilt to help reduce sweating and reduce temperature. I will miss out on getting a Celsion ltex layer, but if this route keeps me dry and cool, and saves a ton of money not trying to do ‘mattress surgery’ then it may be the most cost effective means, considering we liked the feel of the Bordeaux as is.

The one thing I am not certain of is, the moisture wicking abilities of Tencel compared to Wool? Tencel is pretty much only compared to cotton and claims an approximate 50% greater capacity to absorb fluids than cotton, but there is nothing I can find that tells me the differences between it and wool. Do you have any light you can shed on that?

Hi EmrysTuatha,

Thanks for the update and for the information about your conversation with Bob … he’s a great guy.

They have updated their lineup and locations since I last looked at them and as you mentioned they now carry latex mattresses as well. I’ve updated their descriptions and added them to several of the lists where they have a location as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Again I would keep in mind that ILD measurements alone may not be a reliable way to compare the softness of different types and blends of latex partly because ILD can be tested in different ways and partly because there are also other variables besides ILD that can affect how soft or firm a material feels. For example the synthetic latex that Mountaintop makes will feel different from the 100% natural latex that they make even in the same ILD (the synthetic has a lower compression modulus and may feel softer to many people). There are also some general comments about comparing Mountaintop’s ILD ratings to Talalay in post #8 here.

You can read a little more about Tencel in post #2 here. It is primarily used in fabrics (such as mattress covers and sheets and bedding) and it is very effective at wicking moisture and has a soft “hand feel” as well. It’s effectiveness in terms of temperature regulation would depend on what was underneath it and/or what it’s quilted to. For example a Tencel fabric (or any cellulosic rayon fabric) quilted to wool would be much more effective at temperature regulation than a thinner tencel unquilted fabric that was directly on top of latex.

Phoenix

Good morning to all. As our search for the “PERFECT mattress for US” continues, I thought we would provide a little update into our recent findings for battle testing mattresses. This past weekend we gave Mark’s Discount Mattress and Holder Bedding of Lafayette a try. Here is what we discovered:

Mark’s Discount Mattress: First, I was relieved to find no fireworks in the store, lol. The Lafayette location was fairly small, but the salesman we spoke with was very non-pushy. He listened to what we were looking for, and as he came to understand that I had been doing my homework before walking in there, he stepped up his technical jargon a bit and tended to lean towards the mattresses that were on par and similar with what we were seeking. Their own line of latex mattresses were a little too ‘on top of the bed’ for our feel, but their line of Gel latex mattress was a better choice. It came with a quilted cotton knit top that was really comfortable. The mattress by itself in a King size was around $1600. As we elaborated more on their latex mattresses, he also mentioned that the other’s could be modified to include different softnesses or even be built with the phase change material I have been interested in. For an outlet store, they still felt like a comfortable place to shop. While the Gel mattress was a nice feel on my shoulder, it still wasn’t as comfortable as the Jamison Bordeaux. It was a tad firmer, and my shoulder just seems to require some ultra plush comfort layers to not feel sore. So, despite my skepticism, if you walked into the Lafayette location with some idea as to what you want, they were pretty helpful. In fact, they had a Kluft mattress in their showroom, that the gentlemen took the time to inform us on. It wasn’t the right fit for us, but it was nice that the gentlemen went over the details with us just the same.

Holder Bedding: I walked into Holder with some high expectations. On a couple of Pheonix’s links, the Lafayette location is held with a tad more esteem than the their Indianapolis counterparts. Honestly, I could not have been more let down. Part of TMU’s intrigue is in the wealth of knowledge on how to go about making an informed mattress purchase. Knowing how to separate hype and salesman’s polish from quality and value and PPP. Holder Bedding takes a lot of pride in their work, and the gentleman we spoke to made that abundantly clear in the way he spoke. So much so, that when I told him what we were looking for, what he had already tested, and why we chose to come see what they could do for us, he IGNORED every detail I spoke of and went right into his standardized sales pitch. At first, I didn’t know this was his sales pitch, but in the hour or so that we were in the store, he assisted roughly six other customers, and the interaction between them and him was EXACTLY the same as ours. We tested two latex mattresses and one latex inner-spring hybrid. One benefit to all of Holder’s beds is that they are ALL 2 Sided. However, none of them could provide any comfort for my shoulders. I was already feeling numbness in under 5 minutes on both shoulders, regardless the bed we tried. To make matters worse, when I started to describe what was in the Jamison bed, specifically what I had found to be comforting to me, the gentleman told me that this configuration in the mattress couldn’t work. More specifically, he told me, “It didn’t make sense to do it that way.”, and then followed this up with he importance of two-sided mattresses over the competition. Yes, Holder Bedding makes custom mattresses. Yes, they have been in business for 70 years. Yes, they have a strong customer base in the local community. However, their success transformed this salesmen not into someone that could assist, listen, and impart knowledge about their products to me, but instead created a salesman that used a story to drive the product. I was most disappointed. Looking back at the mattress selections themselves, the material the mattress cover was made of was quite nice, quilted, and I was told was made of “10 different fabrics” including some J-named cotton and 2 layers of wool. But, the overall feel on my shoulders left them feeling sore. Being told that a product that did work for me in our testing didn’t make sense to this man when asking if it was possible to duplicated it in their own production left me feeling like this person was no longer able to remain objective for the customer’s sake. I hate to say it, but this may be a source for the area that now requires a little extra caution before walking in!

In our trials of I-Comfort, Tempur Pedic, Beauty Rest Black, PLB, Jamison, Mark’s Mattress, and Holder Bedding, the Jamison Bordeaux seemed to meet and exceed our needs in quality/value and PPP for both my partner and I. As I tend to want to be thorough, I am still looking for good pillows and sheets before I commit to this purchase. I want to have the whole package squared away before going and buying the mattress. Malouf’s Encase Omniphase Mattress Protector is probably still our number one choice for that detail of the package. Lyocell or Tencel sheets have a hold on me as far as comfort goes. Bed Bath and Beyond has a brand called Eucalyptus Origins. While, I’m sure there is some variance in their line over other companies, depending upon weave, thread count, and if the Tencel is 100% or blended, it gave me a rough idea of what to expect in their feel. I’m confident these are the type of sheets we want. Interestingly enough, the 600 thread count and the 400 thread count sheets didn’t have any noticeable difference in feel. And, through a few resources, suggestions were made to look for 300-400 TC sheets when it came to Tencel sheets. I’m still poking around, but if I can’t tell a largely discernible difference, then I’ll aim for cheaper. However, finding Duvet covers in Tencel material does seem to be limited. And, finding reputable vendors that give accurate descriptions of their products seems to be an even bigger chore. So, the search for sheets and duvet’s continues.

The last issue is finding a good pillow. Apparently, this is the greatest challenge the world over. I really want one with Outlast or IsoCool or some Phase Change material built into the pillow. However, most of the ones that I am stumbling across are either memory foam pillows or the filling is like a cotton fill that I know will be flat in a year. My partner cannot stand the firmness of memory foam pillows. Although, most of the ones we have tried were all medium firmness, she felt it took too long to conform, and with her being a stomach sleeper, they almost all seemed to high for her neck. I know she probably needs a low loft pillow or two for the occasions when she sleeps on her side, but finding something of a good quality with phase change material seems like a tall order. My situation is compounded by the fact that I need a good pillow that is a high loft but soft that won’t flatten in a year with phase change material, and I need a pillow for my knees and ankles. I’ve tried knee pillows before, and they are just a sales gimmick to me. They’re too small, and I find I fight to keep them in place over a normal pillow between my legs. I’d love the head pillow to be a good shoulder pillow, but it seems like I am asking too much of this darn thing. I thought about a u-shaped body pillow too, but I’m sure there are going to be times when I want less pillow and more free space on the bed.

Anywho, the search for the icing on the cake continues. At least we think we have the cake picked out!

Hi EmrysTuatha,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it. Hopefully they will be helpful for others in the area as well.

It’s disappointing to hear about your experience at Holder Bedding in Lafayette and it sounds like whoever you were dealing with there was less interested in what you had to say than what they wanted to tell you which is unfortunate.

Since you are also looking for sheets there is some good information in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that may be helpful.

Pillows are also a very personal choice and different people will have very different pillow preferences but some of the information in the pillow topic here and the posts it links to may be helpful as well.

Phoenix