Picking which memory foam mattress

After staying in a hotel with a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress, I am interested in buying one. I am not sure what density and type of Tempurpedic it was. I believe it was at a Courtyard by Marriott hotel, but I could have my hotels mixed up.

Phoenix’s post athttps://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/11q-pacbed-original-from-bed-in-a-boxcom is very useful.

The hotel mattress felt quite firm at the start. I didn’t understand about memory foam so I didn’t pay attention to the other characteristics. I think I like the high density foams which are more supportive, even though they react slower. I would guess that a hotel would choose something not as high density which would appeal to more guests. Does anyone know if it’s the 4 lb Tempurpedic in that hotel chain?

I believe I want one that is not very temperature sensitive. It sounds bad to me that it would be softer from heat and humidity. I really like the support. I guess I like that “sleeping in sand” feel, as long as there is still softness. I can’t sleep on non-pillowtop firm mattresses. I have to add 2 egg crate pads on those and even then, it’s barely tolerable.

There are stores where I can lie down on a 7 lb Tempurpedic, 5.3 lb soft, 5.3 lb regular, and 4 lb? The 7 lb sounds wonderful but I would want to try it out. I am not rich. Still, a bed is important to me. I definitely don’t want a cheaper memory foam that won’t perform as I want. It seems like most of the less expensive brands don’t offer more than 4 lb and I am worried about the fillers and other things changing the whole product quality. Also most of the less expensive brands aren’t in a store where I can lie on them.

Thanks for any additional advice.

Hi Dreamer,

The foam mattresses at the Marriott are made by Jamison not Tempurpedic so it may have been another hotel.

Either way though … if you are committed to buying a Tempurpedic (which IMO are not great value) … then they are widely available and rather than going by your memory I would take some time to test them in the local stores to see which one you prefer.

All memory foam is temperature sensitive and this is part of what “defines” memory foam. This is also what gives it the “feel” of sleeping in sand. There is a wide variation of memory foams though and how they feel and respond is different so once again I would either test the Tempurpedic mattresses locally or other memory foam mattresses so that you have a better idea in “real life” which you prefer.

There are many “less expensive” memory foam mattresses that use the same quality materials as Tempurpedic although they aren’t “cheap” either. Many of these are carried in local sleep shops. You can read the memory foam guidelines I use in post #10 here.

Hopefully you’ve read post #1 here that has the information steps and guidelines that can help you find the best possible choice that will match your needs and preferences.

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any better possibilities or options I’m aware of that may be close to you. I would definitely suggest some local testing though over your “memory” of sleeping an a memory foam mattress … especially when you don’t know which one it was.

Phoenix