pile of blankets vs. futon matress

Hi Jane Doe,

[quote]I am wondering if a wool futon is worth the extra $$$. I would greatly appreciate your insights…
In general, I am looking for a traditional japanese style futon made out of natural materials.
thanks again [/quote]

It would really depend on your preferences. Wool is one of the best temperature regulating materials in the industry (in both directions) and is very good at keeping people in a comfortable temperature range. If you are comparing it to cotton then it would be more resilient (springy) than cotton and will pack down (and become firmer) less over time but the choice between different types of materials and components in a mattress is really more of a preference choice than a “better/worse” choice and the only way to know for certain which type of materials or components in a mattress (or futon) and the general firmness levels you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Besides wool and cotton … other types of more “natural” materials or components that you can find in futons would include latex and steel innersprings (although steel isn’t really natural even though it’s certainly “safe”).

Of course there are also many synthetic materials that are also completely safe as well (see post #2 here and the posts it links to).

Phoenix