Pillow Help

Hello, i’ve been looking for a good Latex pillow and im having a hard time. I’ve tried the two below, and neither have worked for me. Im amassing a collection of latex pillows that I can’t use :frowning:

The above pillows are nice and plush, I like their softness, they are only about 4" maybe 4.5" thick though, combined with their plush feel, they don’t have enough support for me, as a broad shouldered 220 LB male side sleeper. They just don’t cut it. I wake up with neck/back/hip pain.

So then, I tried these:

http://www.mattressfirm.com/lux-living-talalay-latex-pillow.aspx

And OMG is it firm firm firm. A lofty pillow at 6" thick, if this had a medium or soft feel it would probably be just right, but it’s very firm, it did not feel as firm in the store. But this pillow, combined with my firm bed (the pillow does not “Sink” into the bed). It’s very uncomfortable and now my head has too much support and is at an odd angle, not only is it too high, they firmness makes it uncomfortable.

I can’t keep buying 50$ pillows that don’t work for me. Im thinking about giving up on latex pillows. I’ve read that these pillows are among the best…

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Premier-Down-like-Personal-Choice-Density-Pillows-Set-of-2/38813/product.html?refccid=6PD6A6PZD2Q3I4KFQ2GF4JN2MQ&searchidx=0

but I really wanted latex for it’s durability and support. I heard the Simmons beautyrest latex pillows were good as well, I really don’t want to buy another 50$ pillow i can’t use tho.

I did put a 1" piece of PU foam under the Generic talalay pillow up top, and it made them quite nice, if not UN-eloquent

They’re not cheap, but I absolutely love the LaNoodle latex pillows from Cozy Pure. They have a few versions. One has a zipper so that you can take out some of the latex noodles to make it less firm and lower. Another is the contour, and it has a zipper to adjust the filling as well. I really love both of them…probably the contour is my favorite. (They also make ones with no zipper so you can’t adjust the filling.)

Those are interesting, kinda reminds me of Brooklyn Bedding’s Shredded latex pillow.

Hi Elderblaze,

While it’s really not possible to make specific suggestions for pillows because of all the individual differences between each person’s body and sleeping style and the mattresses they are sleeping on (which can have a significant effect on the choice of pillow that would be best) and on all the many personal preferences between different materials and designs that are involved … the pillow topic here and the other information that it links to has more information and guidelines that may be helpful :slight_smile:

For those that like the “feel” of shredded latex pillows … a customizable version that allows you adjust the amount of the fill and the height and firmness of the pillow can certainly make a good choice.

Phoenix

Gizpobow-

Does the LaNoodle have much of a latex smell? When it is new, but how about if you’ve had it awhile, does it loose it’s smell?

I love a “scrunchable” pillow, which is what I love to do with my down/feather and polyfill pillows, but we’ve had to take feathers off the bed because of DH allergies, and my dear polyfill pillow that is about 5 years old is almost “dead”. I thought I found another polyfill pillow that would work, but it changed too much after a month. I have a closet full of polyfill pillows that don’t work because they don’t scrunch well, or if they do, they only are suitable to me for a short period before they offer no more support…

And is the LaNoodle soft or firm? Or can it be both because it is scrunchable? For instance, most all down pillows are too soft to me, and loose their loft during the night, but a down and feather filled pillow works better because it’s firmer and doesn’t loose loft during the night.

But my big hesitation is: I do not like the odor of most latex. Our last latex mattress never lost it’s latex smell. We’ve had a couple of 1" latex mattress toppers, and they lost most of their odor after about a year, and got to the level of just a little bit of odor. I used to have a full solid piece of latex pillow that was too firm, but mostly it was the smell that drove me crazy!

Hi sheep123,

We have a lanoodles pillow (not the customizable one) and a lanoodles topper and neither one of us remember noticing any unpleasant latex smell when we got it (and my DH is very sensitive to smells). At most it was very mild.

It’s very soft and springy and doesn’t “pack down” (but not as springy as solid latex) and scrunchable and I don’t feel the individual lanoodles inside. You can see some of my comments about the lanoodles topper in post #38 here and the lanoodles pillow in post #29 here.

Phoenix

I noticed no latex smell. They smelled “new” right out of the box, but that quickly (an hour or so) left. I would say that you can make the adjustable fill ones feel just as you want them. They have a lot of noodles in them. I actually took enough out to make two travel size pillows (12x16). If you love the scrunch factor, I wouldn’t get the contour one. The regular adjustable one is wonderfully scrunchable.

I’m considering lanoodle and shredded latex. I like the adjustability of the lanoodle pure performance. I’m just having issues with the price and value. Especially when adjustable shredded latex is half the price. And lanoodle standard regular fill non adjustable are two for 69$. Makes 110$ a tuff sell

http://www.brooklynbedding.com/accessories/adj-latex-pillow
https://www.cozypure.com/specials/buy-one-get-one-lanoodle-pillow

I went ahead and purchased the Lanoodle Pure Performance King size, we’ll see how it is when it comes in!

Hi Elderblaze,

Congratulations on your new pillow and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it :).

Phoenix

Elderblaze,
If you decide to remove some of the noodles from your pillow, be prepared for a little bit of a mess. You may end up with some latex powder on you. It’s not bad-- a lint roller will get it right off. Just wanted to give you a heads up so that you were careful unzipping and moving the noodles.

The LaNoodle pillows are costly - but sales seem relatively frequent - and I loved the Queen size adjustable pillow that I bought that I bought another one the next time they went on sale. The more filling you leave in one of these, the firmer the feel - I was surprised there was so much filling. I ended up being able to make a couple of medium soft standard size pillows with all the LaNoodles that I took out of the queen sized pillows while I was trying to find the “perfect” feel. I thought I’d always sleep on a down pillow, but my even my favorite down pillow has been ignored the past many months.

Well, my King size Pure performance is in the mail, should be here Thursday, im excited to try it out. Hopefully this will be "the’ pillow. Im ready to be done with this.

Hi Elderblaze,

I hope you like it as much as some of the other members that have purchased it :).

Phoenix