Pillow Recommendation

Hello,

First I want to start out by saying thank you for running such a great site. I recently just went through the process of purchasing a new mattress and the information I found here was invaluable. For the curious I ended up going with Select Foam’s Regalis - Just waiting for it to arrive.

I’ve decided now that I am getting a new mattress it is time for some new pillows. While demoing mattresses in retail stores I tried all versions of the Tempurpedic pillows and consistently found the TERMPUR-Rhapsody pillow to be the most comfortable. I am having a real hard time justifying spending $200 for a single pillow so I am looking for an alternative. I’ve struggled to find anything comparable with a “Temper-HD” layer -I really enjoy the density of the memory foam in the pillow. I have reached out to Select Foam and Brooklyn Bedding and found neither offer anything comparable. Do you have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks

Hi thebob6,

I’ve never slept on the Rhapsody pillow so I don’t know of any that may be comparable in terms of “feel” (pillow comparisons are very subjective) and I also don’t know of any pillows that have a similar construction (it has a tempur HD sleeve with “micro cushions” inside the sleeve). Hopefully some of the forum members may have some experience with other pillows that feel similar to them and can share their experience with you. You won’t find any other pillows with the Tempur HD memory foam in it but there may be some other pillows that use other types of high density memory foam even though they may not have a similar “feel”.

There is also some pillow information and feedback in the pillow thread here which may be helpful although I don’t think that the Rhapsody pillow is mentioned there.

Phoenix

Thanks Pheonix.

I understand I won’t find any alternatives that contain “Tempur HD memory foam” but was hoping for something equivalent. For example Select Foam uses “Select-HD” to mimic the “Tempur-HD” in the Regalis. I am really looking for other experiences with pillows that contain high density memory foam.

I see in your pillow thread you recommend the Trillow. It is not quite the shape I am looking for but I do currently have a pillow similar but would love one with a high density memory foam. Can you comment on how the Trillow feels?

Thanks

Hi thebob6,

A pillow choice is very subjective (much more subjective than a mattress) so any difference in “feel” (response rate, temperature sensitivity, firmness etc) between two different memory foams would be much more obvious and noticeable when it is against a more sensitive part of the body like the head and face even if the two memory foams were the same density. Even a smaller difference in design and shape can make a big difference when it comes to pillows so even if another pillow was to use similar density memory foam it may still have a very different “feel” if the design, shape, or specific combination of materials are different. For example the thickness of the sleeve and the exact construction of the material inside the sleeve (the micro pillows) would make a big difference. Because the thickness and shape of a pillow is part of its function … you couldn’t compensate for any feel difference by adjusting layer thickness because it would fundamentally change the pillow. It’s much more difficult to approximate a pillow in other words because it isn’t just rectangular layers on top of each other.

I actually don’t recommend any pillow because it’s far to individual and subjective a choice. I do own it though (my DH uses it as her regular pillow). It’s a 4 lb density memory foam that is quite breathable and more “responsive” than higher density memory foam. It has about a 2-3 second recovery time when you squeeze it and has an even temperature response so it’s more consistent and less affected by the temperature of the room. I don’t sleep on it myself but in the few times I’ve used it to me it feels typical of a good quality memory foam pillow which means a slow soft even sinking in that is more “supportive” than lower density memory foams. She uses it without the sleeve which would be too low for me so if I were to use it I would add the sleeve. There was little to no noticeable smell when we first received it.

Phoenix