pillow talk

I need a pillow and my biggest concerns are that I want a pillow that helps with keeping me aligned if I sleep on my back. I want the pillow to support my neck too. Does this mean I should get a contour pillow because I never found them comfortable. I also like to sleep on my side but I’m trying to sleep more on my back. I bought this gel foam memory foam pillow from kohls branded Home Classics Puregel ™ cooling pillow. It does feel quality and is comfortable but one main flaw for me in that its too high. After I lay my head on it and it conforms to me my head still feels too high off the bed and my neck angles up more than I’d like. I like the feel of the foam. Any thoughts on what I should use? It is a traditional non contour thati have now.

Hi EZ4HZ,

Pillow choices are too subjective and there are too many individual variables and preferences involved to be able to choose a suitable pillow based on theory or specs but there is more information about choosing a pillow in the pillow thread here that may be helpful and has some very generic guidelines.

While a suitable pillow is an important part of a sleeping system because it is what keeps your head and neck in good alignment in all your sleeping positions and can make a significant difference in the quality of your sleep … the height, the softness, the materials, the “scrunchability” (or how it adapts to different sleeping positions), and the shape of a pillow along with the mattress you are sleeping on, your body type and physiology, your sleeping positions, and even more than with a mattress … your personal preferences … are all important parts of choosing a pillow that is the “best match” for you. In the end … and even more than with a mattress … the only way to know whether a particular pillow “works well” for you is based on your own personal experience and preferences.

Phoenix